Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

01-08-17 Asking a lot of trust

Post by Giz »

TwoWayStar

Re: 01-08-17 Asking a lot of trust

Post by TwoWayStar »

Does Zii ACTUALLY believe that Sonya doesn't have any feelings for her? That this is truly a no-strings arrangement?

Or...is she just saying she does, knowing all the while that Sonya wants more, but Zi wants the sex too much to give up her only outlet?

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Ok no, seriously, that stopped being funny a long time ago. Also, Didi better no insist after Zii clearly said no. She's already unlikable and unfunny, that would really destroy the character.
TwoWayStar wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 am
Does Zii ACTUALLY believe that Sonya doesn't have any feelings for her? That this is truly a no-strings arrangement?

Or...is she just saying she does, knowing all the while that Sonya wants more, but Zi wants the sex too much to give up her only outlet?
That's an interesting question. On one hand, what happened with Didi and Gary really shook her. It's possible Zii is too preoccupied or in need of affection to notice.
On the other hand, she knows how Sonya have always felt about her. She also is very much attracted to Sonya and always enjoyed having sex with her.
It's possible she's pretending, just like Sonya is, because they both really want to keep banging. Which is a little weird cuz if you're really comfortable with and attracted to someone, live with that person and want to keep having sex with them, isn't that some sort of relationship? The lines are really blurred with those two. Will they wake up one day looking at each other and going "Wait a minute ..."
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

magicrectangle

Post by magicrectangle »

Everybody in this strip is completely oblivious to everything, always. No reason why Zii should be an exception here.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

I don't think Didi is obvious at least. After everything we've seen her do, I think she knows, and she heard Zii, but she doesn't care, she just wants to be pleased.
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."

Nightmaster

Post by Nightmaster »

On the contrary.

All the strips until now show that Didi is more oblivious than all the other characters. Most of the time she needs someone to tell her the truth of situations for her to act in a proper way.

Remember how Zii (or Kiley... I dont remember) got surprised when they learned that Didi method to "break up" with her boyfriends was by a simple text sms? Thats Didi for you.

All her acts dont have the malice most people here thinks they have. She is a person obssesed with having a orgasm. Up until Kiley entered her life Didi never experienced one. Then because of that she assumed that the one true love for her was Kiley. Now Kiley have broke with Didi and again Didi is obsessed with a orgasm, not because she is that selfish, but because she fear returning to that "non-orgasmic" life. It was Zii that remembered her of the legendary Swirly and most probably there was some situation that will be told as a flashback to explain why she is desolated that she didnt allow Zii to "Heal" her.

Remember that Gary told Didi that he understood what really happened on the morning they found out Zii have leave but he didnt told her what it was. Most probably that scene is gona be told as a flashback in the next strips.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Yeah , I don't know. Like I said before, it's hard to be sure because often weird stuff happen in this comic for "comedic" effect. But sometimes Didi seems to understand what's going on just fine.
With Kiley, there were times when it really looked like she was just manipulating Kiley because she was so good in bed, and the "one true love" thing was just an act.

Often It's more the body language and expressions that gives it away that her words, but my understanding of Didi is that she's smarter than people think, and can be quiet manipulative and selfish. Not saying she's bad, just not exactly trustworthy.

Maybe she is just obsessed with orgasms like you said, because it's so hard for her to have one, and I'm reading that wrong, but at this point of the comic I don't give her the benefit of the doubt anymore.
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think that this particular strip is hammering home a point about the cast of this comic; these characters are not only human, and hence capable of vadt amounts of doublethink and self-deception, they're comedy characters, and hence capable of infinite amounts.

So Zii surely does understand, somewhere in the back of her mind, that Sonya loves her (or thinks she does, hard enough to count) - but she's not going to act on that knowledge, or admit it, because just now she needs comfort and friendship and sex. So she blocks the thought. And DiDi raises this self-deception to the level of an art form, being capable of being as literal-minded as a Discworld dwarf when it suits her. As here.

Logic really has nothing much to do with it all. It's comedy, but honestly, it's only a mild exaggeration of how people are in the real world.
Last edited by Spidrift on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:16 pm
So Zii probably does understand, somewhere in the back of her mind, that Zii loves her
I think you meant Sonya here.

By the way, Didi made me really laugh in this strip ! =))

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Even though I am happier when I see more of Didi's skin revealed to us, I really hope Zii puts an end to Didi taking off her clothes. It's like Didi just heard Sonya exclaim to not have sex on certain items/places in the house... not that she shouldn't do the act with Zii at all. It reminds me of an Bill Cosby comedy skit about children & cookies & not getting to have one but trying to verbally spar with the parent over getting one. Very childlike of Didi, but then that is the joke.

I am actually a little appalled by Zii, asking the owner of the home to leave her own home in order to have a conversation. Zii is the house guest, no matter whatever spin Sonya is trying to put on it to butter Zii up. If they were worried about some privacy, go to a public park or a dark corner of a cafe. Sure, there might be tears from either/both of them; but, I don't expect outbursts of yelling at one another. Plus if Zii really was more concerned about Didi trying to seduce her, a more public venue might dissuade her. Not that stopped Zii from helping herself to Sonya at her waitressing job... but it is worth a shot.

I don't know if Zii has all the information to do so (and she probably doesn't), but I really hope she gives both barrels to Didi. The conversation should be filled with something about how much Zii really was in love/lust with her, but since Didi is so self-absorbed that she didn't even consider ZIi's pleading & admissions before her. It would also be nice if this realization of Zii's acted like a cold shower for her... partially vaccinating her from the Didi effect.

If Zii & Didi do boink somewhere/somehow at Sonya's house, while it might be karmic payback to Sonya for the Zii/Eric fiasco, Zii better pack her stuff up and leave.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Well, I'd like to see Zii and Didi boink, and see what would be the consequences if Zii fails to give her the big O. Even if she succeeds it would be interesting, Zii would get another clingy unattached (?) girlfriend and Didi vs Sonya should fun. :-?

someone

Post by someone »

AlexDenton wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:32 am
That's an interesting question. On one hand, what happened with Didi and Gary really shook her. It's possible Zii is too preoccupied or in need of affection to notice.
On the other hand, she knows how Sonya have always felt about her. She also is very much attracted to Sonya and always enjoyed having sex with her.
It's possible she's pretending, just like Sonya is, because they both really want to keep banging. Which is a little weird cuz if you're really comfortable with and attracted to someone, live with that person and want to keep having sex with them, isn't that some sort of relationship? The lines are really blurred with those two. Will they wake up one day looking at each other and going "Wait a minute ..."
If you've ever read Lina Neidestam's Zelda comic (no, nothing to do with Nintendo characters, the series and the main character are named after Zelda Fitzgerald), that's kind of the relationship Zelda has with her hipster boyfriend Cesar. "He's not my boyfriend! I just live in his home, go out with him and have sex with him often, totally different!" It's Swedish and I don't think it's been translated to English yet, but there's a French version available.

As an example, here's a strip where Cesar brainstorms to find out what to write on her Valentine card:
1. "Happy Valentine's Day, Zelda!" Yeech! She surely thinks it just commercial hetero hype.
2. But she'll be furious if I don't give her anything. "To Zelda, the one who matters to me" Except she doesn't want to be the one, she hates monogamy...
3. "You're pretty" No, she doesn't like it when we focus on looks. "I want you." No, she'd feel smothered.
4. "Get bent!" Awwww!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:33 pm
I think you meant Sonya here.
Fixed, thanks.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Nightmaster

Post by Nightmaster »

AlexDenton wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:59 pm
Yeah , I don't know. Like I said before, it's hard to be sure because often weird stuff happen in this comic for "comedic" effect. But sometimes Didi seems to understand what's going on just fine.
With Kiley, there were times when it really looked like she was just manipulating Kiley because she was so good in bed, and the "one true love" thing was just an act.

Often It's more the body language and expressions that gives it away that her words, but my understanding of Didi is that she's smarter than people think, and can be quiet manipulative and selfish. Not saying she's bad, just not exactly trustworthy.

Maybe she is just obsessed with orgasms like you said, because it's so hard for her to have one, and I'm reading that wrong, but at this point of the comic I don't give her the benefit of the doubt anymore.
From the point of view of someone that wish to see things in a certain way, yeah she is selfish and a bad person, but if you review all of Didi's interactions on the course of the comics with a unbiased look, it will be clear that she is almost on Gary's level of obliviousness (invented word?).

Like spindrift pointed out Didi is "literal" on her reasoning. It was been showed not once or twice, it was been show inumerous times that she take what others say literaly.

For her Kiley was a shy girl that loves big boobs (again her interpretation of the often distraught look that Kiley had when seeing her boobs) so often she used then to make Kiley get into the mood.

And its not that is hard for her to reach an orgasm. She never had one in her life until Kiley!!!

As someone that had to deal with peoples that sufered from obssessions (I work on a hospital), its easy to understand that unless she (Didi) actually recognize she needs help from a professional, she will never stop from associating one thing for another because her obssession interferes with her reasoning.

Just remember when the Swirly first caught her and Zii's atention. Her reasoning (again because of her obssession) was that she too could get a orgasm from Gary. It was only because Zii didnt want Gary to boink Didi first than her that Zii explained to Didi that she would be getting in the way of Gary's relationship with Yuki.

And again we are show that theres no malice and manipulation on her part when she assumed that Gary and Zii were in love with each other and thus said she would never again interfere with the two.

Summarizing: She is oblivious and literal and only smart when the authors wish her to be.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

So if Zii and Didi have an actual genuine grown up chat this could lead to something resembling character / plot development for both of them. Unlikely of course but still.

Personally I'm not entirely convinced that Sonya is actually in love with Zii so much as the idea of it and the "drama" that seemingly goes hand in hand. I mean even her "scheming" could be something of an appeal to her if she thinks she's actually pulling one over. And I still think that attempting to trick someone into a relationship, especially when they have frequently shot it down, is a bit sketchy.

As for Zii here, to me she still seems to kind of be "buying in" to Sonya's claims, though maybe she's starting to clue in. As far as letting Didi have it, she's on kind of shaky ground if she does. She has already told Didi that she was only in lust with her and not actually in love, then spent a number of strips after pointedly avoiding getting intimate. And in this particular case was attempting to take advantage of Didi's emotional state after breaking up with Kiley which was not only kind of a skeevy thing to do as her "friend", but while she was doing it she was framing it as "not a big deal" and all to help Didi. So if she was being honest and Didi took it as such it shouldn't have been a big deal to Zii.

For Didi, yes she is oblivious and self-centred but I've never gotten the impression that she is trying to be intentionally cruel. When she is in a relationship with someone she certainly seems to be quite dedicated to them. Admittedly they seem to be short lived flings and her manner of breaking up was quite callous, but at the same time I don't think(?) she ever two timed someone. She might not have been genuinely in love with Kiley confusing the heretofore unknown physical pleasure for real feelings, but I think she was sincere in her displays and declarations of affection.

As a bit of an aside Didi's life must be quite bizarre, not only with life seemingly treating her like a princess in a Disney movie, but remember when Amber just grabbed her breasts in public and she remarked that happened more than you might think. It's not hard to imagine her outlook is completely skewed from normality.