13-07-17 I over-competed

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Dorgengoa
BANNED

Re: 13-07-17 I over-competed

Post by Dorgengoa »

Alternate ending: Rather than jump Gary and kiss him, Maura starts singing I Wanna Play by the Dayjob Orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qhHaz_qvhM&ab.
This is getting out of hand.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Wow, heck of recovery there Gary.

I still think he was pretty terrible on the date, but I found this to be an oddly grown up sweet conversation for both parties. Maura letting the her exterior of competitiveness fall away, and Gary with his oddly insightful sympathetic side.

I'm also glad that now it looks like Maura actually genuinely wants to do the deed, and not out of some begrudging competitive need.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:Yeah, I guess we've had lesser examples of Gary's Magic Sympathy. It's just that I can't suspend my disbelief for that effect. If being a vaguely nice, sympathetic guy (between long stints of being an annoying dork) reliably got attractive women out of their knickers, the world would be full of happy (if exhausted) geeks. It just doesn't work that way; being sympathetic is at best a starting point, not a deal-closer.

(Kiley was, as I said, a special case. Gary had spent an hour or two being nice at her; it wasn't an instant effect.)
Well, you have to remember, she still has another bet. Yes, she over competed with Peggy, but she still has the bet of "Does Gary take it up the ass?" Which of course, they meant, like the boys, but she can't find out without doing something.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Either Gary is going to acquire a new skill or Maura is going to have to borrow some of Peggy's toys.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

The bet could also end up being a fake out, there have been a number of seeming hinted build ups to sharp right turns in the past.

Or after experiencing the full effect of The Swirly™, Maura may end up going back to Tess floating on cloud nine and with absolute certainty that Gary is into girls. And although it seems pretty unlikely, with how things seem to work in this verse it wouldn't overly surprise me if Tess then became interested in Gary as a result.

Swiftwinged Doom

Post by Swiftwinged Doom »

Spidrift wrote:Oh, Gary may have learned some technical stuff from Matt. But meh, how much difference does that make? He already had the swirly. Knowing that he wasn't just a one-trick pony anymore might be good for his self-confidence, but lack of self-confidence never actually slowed him down much in the run of the comic; it just made him annoying.

(And do remember; Clark Kent is what Superman thinks is a typical Earth human being.)
Nerd moment here. Bumbling klutz Clark is clearly meant by Clark as an over exaggeration of human flaws and foibles specifically created so that Clark can move around in a building full of nosy reporters and not draw suspicion. At least it was until writers realized that constantly drawing attention to one's self by being lethally stupid is just as bad as walking around with an 'You'll never guess who I am!!' sign on your back. Clark was raised as a human by admittedly 2 very VERY nice humans and does understand normal human interaction. Gary is like Clark Kent with a secret identity of Ed Grimley.
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

edisnooM wrote:The bet could also end up being a fake out, there have been a number of seeming hinted build ups to sharp right turns in the past.
That's true. Sometimes, the writers set up a joke or dramatic bit so neatly that they apparently can't find a punchline to match the set-up. All the stuff about the Tempests discussing whether Gary takes it up the butt may end up as a standalone gag, not something to come back to later. I mustn't assume that things that seem to need resolution will ever actually be resolved.

But hey, perhaps this gag will be resolved the same time that the K-bomb detonates.

Incidentally, one hypothesis regarding Maura: If, as Tess said, Gary is blatantly not her type, maybe her "type" is a thoughtless macho moron who's physically incapable of saying anything nice? If that's the first vaguely thoughtful thing that a date has ever said to her, it might just explain why it had quite such an extreme effect on her hormones.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Spidrift wrote:Yeah, I guess we've had lesser examples of Gary's Magic Sympathy. It's just that I can't suspend my disbelief for that effect. If being a vaguely nice, sympathetic guy (between long stints of being an annoying dork) reliably got attractive women out of their knickers, the world would be full of happy (if exhausted) geeks. It just doesn't work that way; being sympathetic is at best a starting point, not a deal-closer.

(Kiley was, as I said, a special case. Gary had spent an hour or two being nice at her; it wasn't an instant effect.)
Well, you have to remember, she still has another bet. Yes, she over competed with Peggy, but she still has the bet of "Does Gary take it up the ass?" Which of course, they meant, like the boys, but she can't find out without doing something.
Of course, Gary is the "terrible" one in all of this. Somehow.

TJgalon

Post by TJgalon »

I really need some crazy friends
"Somebody just stake me now"

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

If you don't have any crazy friends, you are the crazy friend. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Spidrift wrote: Incidentally, one hypothesis regarding Maura: If, as Tess said, Gary is blatantly not her type, maybe her "type" is a thoughtless macho moron who's physically incapable of saying anything nice? If that's the first vaguely thoughtful thing that a date has ever said to her, it might just explain why it had quite such an extreme effect on her hormones.
That's an interesting idea, if nothing else the characters of Ma3 can be counted upon to have "issues" of some form or another. And conveniently Maura does know of a therapist if she feels she needs to sort things out. It might actually be interesting to see how Kiley does with a patient who isn't interested in sleeping with her (memories a bit hazy, did Kiley help Yuki other than with Matt?).

Azrael wrote:If you don't have any crazy friends, you are the crazy friend. :p
Obligatory: "You don't have to be crazy to post here, but it helps!" :)

dewelar

Post by dewelar »

edisnooM wrote:(memories a bit hazy, did Kiley help Yuki other than with Matt?)
Considering that was actually how Kiley was introduced...well, as with all things Kiley, it depends on your definition of "help", I guess ;) .

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

True, her techniques are unique.

I remember that she was interested in Yuki's condition, but I it's been a while and I couldn't remember if she actually got around to treating her.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Now it seems they are rehashing the Kiley jumping Gary plot. Please bring back Senna or at least give Ruby and Dillon guest appearances at some point.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

I dunno. The last panel is a cute image.

Quote removed. The DAMNed