01-07-17 Are you two an item

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

JoybuzzerX

Re: 01-07-17 Are you two an item

Post by JoybuzzerX »

edisnooM wrote:
JoybuzzerX wrote: Gary went on a date with Maura, a date he completely forgot about (no surprise there, as I don't recall it having any set time, but I haven't gone back to check), only because he figured Peggy wasn't into him enough for a real relationship.

Gary is obviously a screw up, but he's trying for/wanting a real relationship with someone, besides just sex. That sort of meant pick Maura for the date over Peggy, even if he wishes it was Peggy (he barely knows Maura).

Peggy may also be looking for a bit more and not realize it herself.

So of course, this makes things uncomfortable for Maura. Then again, movies may be good date nights, maybe not the best first date where you're supposed to stay quiet for the rest of the audience.
The date wasn't arranged "on screen", apparently it happened entirely when Zii was trying to woo Didi, though from the way Maura called up it doesn't appear a definite time was scheduled.

Gary really shouldn't be operating under any delusions with Peggy since she flat out told him she didn't want anything serious, so if he is attempting that route it seems doomed to failure. But it does sort of seem like he is more just talking with Peggy as opposed to flirting, but in the process completely ignoring his date (and saying another women is pretty. Seriously Gary?).

As for Peggy she seemed to be asking about the movie more as a friend, and she likewise doesn't seem to be flirting, but she is seriously third wheeling the date and I would have thought she would be canny enough to pick up on that. I'm still kind of hoping she does tune in to the situation at some point.
It could be. However, some time could have gone by since she said that to Gary (Sofia and Yuki have broken up so we know some time elapsement has happened). So minds could have changed.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Peggy isn't horrible, but she does seem to be a little insensitive. I mean, if you tell her you have a problem, she'll be sympathetic and offer to help, but if you don't tell her, she may not notice. (I blame sheer emotional exhaustion from her job.) And if she isn't explicitly asked to do something, she just gets on with doing what suits her. Remember at the foursome, when Kiley had her big screaming meltdown at Matt, Peggy just stood around looking bemused until Kiley left, then cheerfully went back to having her brains shagged out by two guys; there was no sense of sisterhood there, though she'd been nice enough to Kiley a few minutes earlier.

She may reckon that grown-ups should say what they mean, and if they don't, that's not her problem. In this case, Gary is paying attention to her, so clearly he thinks that's okay, and it's his judgment call. It's not her fault if Gary has the emotional sensitivity of a grease stain.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

That's an excellent description of Peggy and part of the reason I like her so much. Nothing to add, just agreeing with you :)

Quote removed. The DAMNed
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

JoybuzzerX wrote: It could be. However, some time could have gone by since she said that to Gary (Sofia and Yuki have broken up so we know some time elapsement has happened). So minds could have changed.
Well, time is something of an oddity in this verse, but I don't get the impression that a great deal has gone by since then.

@Spidrift

I dunno, that description seems like it could fit a lot of the characters in Ma3 (or at least the more primary/secondary), and Peggy struck me that she was a bit more astute than the rest. She did correctly think that it would be awkward to sit with them, and at the very least I would think most people would understand social norms enough to not intrude on someones date. I mean she's (presumably) Canadian, we're supposed to be politeness incarnate. :)

But again, Gary is the primary problem, I just thought Peggy might counteract that instead of contributing. Then again, this is Gary, the sheer level of social competence required to fully counteract him would be staggering.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

This comic shows us, Canadian's are not politeness incarnate.

World view shattered :(

:p

Quote removed. The DAMNed

tityanya

Post by tityanya »

I love Marua's face in the last panel

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

JoybuzzerX wrote:I dunno, that description seems like it could fit a lot of the characters in Ma3 (or at least the more primary/secondary), and Peggy struck me that she was a bit more astute than the rest. She did correctly think that it would be awkward to sit with them, and at the very least I would think most people would understand social norms enough to not intrude on someones date. I mean she's (presumably) Canadian, we're supposed to be politeness incarnate.
She's smarter than most of the other characters, and capable of being more serious, but she doesn't seem to be much more empathetic. And the idea that she somehow respects and relates to other people's problems surely went out the window when Kiley had her flame-out at Matt, and Peggy just stood around like a smirking lemon, waiting for her shag.

The only two characters who regularly get into other people's heads in this comic are Kiley (as a career choice) and Matt (as a hobby) -- and they have to turn it on, consciously. The rest of the cast are a bit gormless, really. And in this case, well, you might say that Peggy is treating Gary as an adult; she's assuming that he knows what he's doing and will take responsibility for his actions. The fact that he doesn't and won't, because he's a fuckwit, isn't her fault. It's just maybe a little odd that she hasn't noticed this yet, but hey, her relationship with Gary is mostly about the kinky nookie.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

I can't help but think Maura's cheating on Tess now.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I really, really can't think that way. Maura and Tess are friends, without sex ever getting in the way. That's rare enough in this comic (though not unknown) that it's actually nice to see.
---------
Spidrift

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Oh, it was fine when she was about to have sex with someone else. But now she's gone and found new competition.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

JoybuzzerX wrote: This comic shows us, Canadian's are not politeness incarnate.

World view shattered :(

:p
I am sorry to say that while some us do try and live up to that most noble stereotype, not everyone does. :)

Spidrift wrote:
edisnooM wrote:I dunno, that description seems like it could fit a lot of the characters in Ma3 (or at least the more primary/secondary), and Peggy struck me that she was a bit more astute than the rest. She did correctly think that it would be awkward to sit with them, and at the very least I would think most people would understand social norms enough to not intrude on someones date. I mean she's (presumably) Canadian, we're supposed to be politeness incarnate.
She's smarter than most of the other characters, and capable of being more serious, but she doesn't seem to be much more empathetic. And the idea that she somehow respects and relates to other people's problems surely went out the window when Kiley had her flame-out at Matt, and Peggy just stood around like a smirking lemon, waiting for her shag.

The only two characters who regularly get into other people's heads in this comic are Kiley (as a career choice) and Matt (as a hobby) -- and they have to turn it on, consciously. The rest of the cast are a bit gormless, really. And in this case, well, you might say that Peggy is treating Gary as an adult; she's assuming that he knows what he's doing and will take responsibility for his actions. The fact that he doesn't and won't, because he's a fuckwit, isn't her fault. It's just maybe a little odd that she hasn't noticed this yet, but hey, her relationship with Gary is mostly about the kinky nookie.

Well, as far as the incident with Kiley, it's pretty well established in this verse that whenever sexytimes are involved social norms and niceties are thrown out the window. So if she was "competing" for Gary here (which I don't think she is) that might fit a bit better, but it kind of seems like she is either oblivious to the situation, or if not just doesn't care, neither of which I would have tagged her with.

I mean recently with Didi she seemed pretty empathetic and understanding, and I seem to recall when talking with Gary about his desire for a relationship she was as well.

I can understand treating Gary as an adult, and maybe not knowing the extremes of his social incompetence, but it still seems like not being a third wheel is a pretty basic social understanding.

Though it could still happen that as Maura begins overtly competing (which will undoubtedly have humorous consequences) Peggy will clue in and bow out. Maura might even take it as some sort of victory which may help compensate for whatever embarrassing display inevitably transpires.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

DiDi complained about her lack of orgasms, weeping as she did so; Peggy reacted to that. And the conversation with Gary started as a casual post-coital "tell me about yourself" chat. Peggy isn't unsympathetic, but she's not super-empathetic. And on this occasion, she tried to leave Gary and Maura on their own, respecting the social niceties just fine - and Gary wouldn't let her go. She's reacting to that. Heck, she may be assuming that Gary wants to keep Maura at a distance for some reason, and was signalling for help...
---------
Spidrift

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I think that Tess is actually slightly bruised at Maura's date with Gary. Her reaction and responses to Roxie, if read as someone serious about their career, sound innocent enough. However I think she went to 'brush up her skills' just to get some manhandling in.

It is worth noting that we really don't know Damien's orientation or relationship status. Her snide remarks about Gary being gay and the 'taking it up the ass'-nonsense might come to bite her, if she really is interested in Damien. It might not - she seems like a strong enough woman to find a date on her own. However Maura could still be an emotional crutch for her, despite them not being 'joined at the hip'.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Judging by his reactions to DiDi (*boing* *boing*), Damien has a working set of heterosexual responses.

And Tess and Maura seemed in the past to be competing with each other for his attention. Tess may be a little irked by Maura's digs over her not having a date, but she can equally, legitimately say that she's taking the opportunity to focus on their pre-existing competition. (No, she's not just there to learn wrestling. The hearts make that bloody obvious.) How it'll go, whether Damien is interested in them personally... Well, we'll just have to wait and see.
---------
Spidrift

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

I predict that Maura will start to choke on her popcorn, and then Peggy will give her mouth to mouth resuscitation. :-?