01-07-17 Are you two an item

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Re: 01-07-17 Are you two an item

Post by 'J' »

it could be that peggy'l be uninterested in competing for gary, but i suspect that she'll just be entirely oblivious to whatever maura tries, thus making maura seem all the more foolish for her failings. which may be slightly annoying, given that she is not the one being the damn fool here.
Yet still, I live...

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

So Gary is still definitely the main problem here (and absolutely terrible too), but I still can't help feeling Peggy is still not really helping. I had hoped that after the last strip she would have the insight to excuse herself from sitting with them, but instead she is still actively engaging. Not that talking with Gary here is completely outrageous, but when he is clearly here with someone else I would have thought she would have been considerate enough to disengage.

Even the seemingly innocuous line about needing to get milk before heading home kind of takes on something of different connotation when addressed to someone currently on a date with another woman.

Of course this being Ma3, instead of slapping Gary and leaving as would make sense, Maura is instead just more determined. Not likely to happen at this point but I'm still hoping Peggy might pick up on the hostility and excuse herself from the equation.

Milnoc wrote:"Hon?"

Is Peggy showing an interest in something more than casual sex?
I don't think so, it's a fairly generic term to refer to someone you know, or even don't know. At least where I'm from.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Considering that "Darlin'" can be a casual term of friendship in some places, "Hon" didn't even blip on my radar.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Malmedee

Post by Malmedee »

Not until this exact moment, which I thought was the reason Garry picked Maura over her.

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

If Didi hasn't completely thrown over Gary, Maura may be in for a BIG surprise. On the other hand, Maura may invite Gary back to her place (to get him away from Peg), in which case I'm now shipping the Blunder Twins to be next to get the Swirly [TM] treatment.

Malmedee

Post by Malmedee »

Oh I hope so. I really don't care to see Garry be the meat in an annoying character and moron sandwich the way we usually do.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Continuity wrote:<snip> On the other hand, Maura may invite Gary back to her place (to get him away from Peg), in which case I'm now shipping the Blunder Twins to be next to get the Swirly [TM] treatment.
I admit I wouldn't mind that scenario, but it seems a little too used. Gary doesn't need a bigger harem... he needs to start paring down (or the script doing such for him). And Tess said she was sorta only interested in guys who found her sexually appealing. It would be a hard sell to have her go ga-ga over Gary, script-wise, barring something awkward. Of course, Gary admitted to having an awkward life, so we'll see. Maybe some hanky-panky on the way home and Maura flaunting Gary in front of Tess? Or, you know, the truth being told by Gary that he prefers women and just happened to have two bi roommates? Although alien abduction complete with anal probing would be slightly better odds-wise by the bookies in Vegas for such happening :-??
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

Harem anime levels increasing by 30%!

At this rate, we won't be able to hold it any longer!

I've been called "hon" by female friends a lot. It's just something some women say to their friends. It really just depends on who is saying it as to whether or not it's romantic or just friendly.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

edisnooM wrote:So Gary is still definitely the main problem here (and absolutely terrible too), but I still can't help feeling Peggy is still not really helping. I had hoped that after the last strip she would have the insight to excuse herself from sitting with them, but instead she is still actively engaging. Not that talking with Gary here is completely outrageous, but when he is clearly here with someone else I would have thought she would have been considerate enough to disengage.

Even the seemingly innocuous line about needing to get milk before heading home kind of takes on something of different connotation when addressed to someone currently on a date with another woman.

Of course this being Ma3, instead of slapping Gary and leaving as would make sense, Maura is instead just more determined. Not likely to happen at this point but I'm still hoping Peggy might pick up on the hostility and excuse herself from the equation.

I don't think so, it's a fairly generic term to refer to someone you know, or even don't know. At least where I'm from.

Gary went on a date with Maura, a date he completely forgot about (no surprise there, as I don't recall it having any set time, but I haven't gone back to check), only because he figured Peggy wasn't into him enough for a real relationship.

Gary is obviously a screw up, but he's trying for/wanting a real relationship with someone, besides just sex. That sort of meant pick Maura for the date over Peggy, even if he wishes it was Peggy (he barely knows Maura).

Peggy may also be looking for a bit more and not realize it herself.

So of course, this makes things uncomfortable for Maura. Then again, movies may be good date nights, maybe not the best first date where you're supposed to stay quiet for the rest of the audience.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Milk shortages make everyone oblivious, apparently.
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Continuity wrote:If Didi hasn't completely thrown over Gary, Maura may be in for a BIG surprise.
Normally, DiDi regards other men as hers as of right, unless she knows that they're in a serious relationship, in which case her simple-minded but functional morality may sometimes kick in. But in this case, she thinks that Gary and Zii have a romance going, so she won't touch Gary again. Though Zii having just taken up with Sonya presumably confuses her.

However, if she sees Gary with Maura, I guess she might intervene in order to save the Gary-Zii ship.

And oh god this is all dreadfully soap operatic isn't it.
worldshaking00 wrote:And Tess said she was sorta only interested in guys who found her sexually appealing.
She said that when she was snarking at Maura about Gary being (in her assessment) gay. It was "I wouldn't bother going on a date with a guy who'd never be into me", not "I can only ever be attracted to a guy who's expressed attraction to me".
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

What flick are they watching?

Superhero movie, very recent ("the latest" Peggy dixit), hunky leading man, leading lady looks like Peggy...

Any guesses?
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Spidrift wrote:She said that when she was snarking at Maura about Gary being (in her assessment) gay. It was "I wouldn't bother going on a date with a guy who'd never be into me", not "I can only ever be attracted to a guy who's expressed attraction to me".
A bit semantic, but whatever. She doesn't want to waste her time, I think we can both agree on. We haven't been given a reason to expect Tess is easy to get into the sack or is a prude. Considering they were bantering around $50 for a bet on whether Gary is (effectively) gay and whether Maura can pull him, Tess did not feel the need to witness Maura's date. Could be because she trusts her friend... or doesn't want to see her friend fall flat on her face... or just plain doesn't care and is looking for a quick $50 because she knows how hopeless Maura is. It says a little bit about Tess, because I could see other cast members trying to ninja-hide on such a date to watch and verify (hell, even participate).

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Vitocap wrote:What flick are they watching?

Superhero movie, very recent ("the latest" Peggy dixit), hunky leading man, leading lady looks like Peggy...

Any guesses?
I think that the writers are trying to avoid having the strip date itself too quickly, so those lines are deliberately generic. They could have written this a year or five years ago, or run it next year, after all; there's usually a superhero movie out. You could say that it's mildly ironic that the latest instance has a female lead, who doesn't look much like Peggy, but whatevs; Chris Pine is okay to fit that line about the leading man. (And one could even claim that, hairstyle and skin tone aside, Gal Gadot and Peggy share a tall, slim, athletically sexy figure, and so this ends up coming closer than it would with Scarlett Johansson or Marisa Tomei.) But I think it's actually The Latest Superhero Movie in the Ma3 universe, which isn't our world.
worldshaking00 wrote:Considering they were bantering around $50 for a bet on whether Gary is (effectively) gay and whether Maura can pull him, Tess did not feel the need to witness Maura's date. Could be because she trusts her friend... or doesn't want to see her friend fall flat on her face... or just plain doesn't care and is looking for a quick $50 because she knows how hopeless Maura is. It says a little bit about Tess, because I could see other cast members trying to ninja-hide on such a date to watch and verify (hell, even participate).
Maybe Tess is actually capable enough that when she ninja hides, she actually successfully hides?

But no, I reckon these two trust each other enough that they don't feel the need to validate each other's honesty, and don't consider a mutual $50 bet a big deal. And I doubt that Maura is a very good liar. Tess probably reckons she can have most fun if she's sitting at home, reading a good book and eating chocolates ,when Maura comes in cursing Gary's gayness.
---------
Spidrift

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

JoybuzzerX wrote: Gary went on a date with Maura, a date he completely forgot about (no surprise there, as I don't recall it having any set time, but I haven't gone back to check), only because he figured Peggy wasn't into him enough for a real relationship.

Gary is obviously a screw up, but he's trying for/wanting a real relationship with someone, besides just sex. That sort of meant pick Maura for the date over Peggy, even if he wishes it was Peggy (he barely knows Maura).

Peggy may also be looking for a bit more and not realize it herself.

So of course, this makes things uncomfortable for Maura. Then again, movies may be good date nights, maybe not the best first date where you're supposed to stay quiet for the rest of the audience.
The date wasn't arranged "on screen", apparently it happened entirely when Zii was trying to woo Didi, though from the way Maura called up it doesn't appear a definite time was scheduled.

Gary really shouldn't be operating under any delusions with Peggy since she flat out told him she didn't want anything serious, so if he is attempting that route it seems doomed to failure. But it does sort of seem like he is more just talking with Peggy as opposed to flirting, but in the process completely ignoring his date (and saying another women is pretty. Seriously Gary?).

As for Peggy she seemed to be asking about the movie more as a friend, and she likewise doesn't seem to be flirting, but she is seriously third wheeling the date and I would have thought she would be canny enough to pick up on that. I'm still kind of hoping she does tune in to the situation at some point.