20-06-17 That guy

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

ThrottleSaber

Re: 20-06-17 That guy

Post by ThrottleSaber »

Anyone else think of This when they read panel 4?

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

And Gary is once again caught between two women. I'm rooting for Peggy by the way.

Shaitan051

Post by Shaitan051 »

Please no. I beg of you, don't use this ancient tired plot. It stopped being funny before most of us were even born.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Cue drunken karaoke rendition of "Torn Between Two Lovers".

But who knows? Perhaps Gary's genre awareness will lead him to behave in a uniquely sensible fashion here. Or perhaps Peggy and Maura will hit it off just fine after the briefest of misunderstandings, leaving Gary out in the social cold.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

You know I feel kind of bad for Gary here, he seems legitimately sad that Didi isn't interested in him.

Peggy does seem like she is more just asking a friend to go see a movie, but I could be wrong. It could be interesting if that's all it was and Gary acts like it was something more.

And apparently more went on after Zii and Didi exited the scene in that strip, back then it kind of seemed like Gary just went to his room since Maura and Tess seemed to just be hanging around on their own (and Gary didn't seem socially flustered). I am kind of curious if Maura has some ulterior motive here though, maybe looking for more info on Didi or trying to get people out of the apartment.

Also does it seem to anyone else like there are already an awful lot of plates spinning to be adding a "Double Date" wacky hijinks to the mix?

ThrottleSaber wrote:Anyone else think of This when they read panel 4?
Well I wasn't, but I am now. :)

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

The double date could be a way to get the wrestling arc (and it's cast) more involved with the main cast and the other arcs. Also I am sure there'll be some mention of Zii not being around to write their intro theme song. Cue sad music. Truth be told, even Peggy could see a little more screen time in order for her to develop further towards (or away from) the main cast.

"Spinning plates" implies careful balancing; but let's face it, plates are going to fall & break. That's the comedy, and especially in harem-esque comedy. How the pieces get put back together is the fun. I suppose we'll have to see how much of Lothario is left in Gary. Gods, I hope there's an after movie bar scene. ^:)^ If Gary pines over not being able to satisfy Didi, maybe his small-yet-growing machismo needs to be tested/fluffed.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Peggy didn't exactly seem to make it out to be a date, but rather two friends going out to a movie together.

Was Maura's a date before? That I don't recall, however he could easily fix this problem with a simple call to one of them :p

Boro

Post by Boro »

Oh, lord. What stopping you from arranging a date with Maura on another time, Gary?
I can understand his nerd nature, but this is just stupid.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

edisnooM wrote:You know I feel kind of bad for Gary here, he seems legitimately sad that Didi isn't interested in him.
Hypno-boobs.
Peggy does seem like she is more just asking a friend to go see a movie, but I could be wrong. It could be interesting if that's all it was and Gary acts like it was something more.
Gary has previously said that he would like some kind of serious relationship with a woman. But then, he said that to Peggy, who made it clear that she was just interested in a fuck-buddy, so he should know that isn't a prospect here.
And apparently more went on after Zii and Didi exited the scene in that strip, back then it kind of seemed like Gary just went to his room since Maura and Tess seemed to just be hanging around on their own (and Gary didn't seem socially flustered). I am kind of curious if Maura has some ulterior motive here though, maybe looking for more info on Didi or trying to get people out of the apartment.
Maura had a heart in her speech bubble when she first said hello to Gary, so apparently she thought that he looked cute -- but she's evidently not such an Ma3 character that she dragged him to bed in the first five minutes. So I guess we can assume five minutes of light flirtation and a date arrangement.

She may be looking for more info on DiDi, of course, but the heart and accompanying flirtatious expression suggest to me that she was basically sincere. And why not? She's unattached, Gary isn't hideous, and she clearly mentioned her job, which would have caused him to look interested. Even if she is attempting more espionage, there's no reason it can't be combined with a pleasant date night.
Also does it seem to anyone else like there are already an awful lot of plates spinning to be adding a "Double Date" wacky hijinks to the mix?
These comics are frankly always prone to overloading their parallel plots. Frankly, Ma3 at least isn't as bad as SotR in that respect.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

magicrectangle

Post by magicrectangle »

Shaitan051 wrote:Please no. I beg of you, don't use this ancient tired plot. It stopped being funny before most of us were even born.
I assume they'll go for at least a partial subversion of the trope. I agree it would be a new low for the strip if they followed the two-timer date trope straight down the line. But I don't think they're that lazy/desperate just yet.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I know the comic exists in the, what's it called, "rolling now"? but yeah, this seems a shout-out to Wonder Woman. ;)

Hm, this is Montreal, is there only one cinema, even if it has 20 screens? :P Also, why hasn't Gary seen this movie yet???

Amusingly enough, last week, I did go see Wonder woman together with a fetching young lady. ;)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But this week, it could be a shout-out to Spiderman: Homecoming.

And maybe <Generic Superhero Film: Whatever> is very new in the comic's rolling now?
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Okay, admittedly, I've also been hearing good things about S:H.

And, you know, GotG Vol. 2.

And...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, GotG2 does have one female cast member who might be compared to Peggy. Elizabeth Debicki as Ayesha has that tall, rangy figure, and the ability to make a guy feel small just by giving him a serious look - the sense that she might go to bed with you, but you'd better damn well be worth it when you get there.
---------
Spidrift