15-06-17 Go to town

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

worldshaking00

Re: 15-06-17 Go to town

Post by worldshaking00 »

Bird in hand?

Gary knows Sonya has it hard for Zii. Zii hasn't really communicated well to either of her roomies why she left. Zii sent Peggy to Gary. In a weird way, it is a parting gift from Zii to Gary, and apparently Sonya did not mind giving up Peggy either.

Plus as has been mentioned, Peggy is good for her part of the rent and is more-than-a-friend. Beats putting another ad in the newspaper.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

All reasonable points, but last strip it literally went:

"Why? This is her home!"
"I didn't ask. Sorry"
"I guess it's convenient rent-wise."

It just seemed like he started the strip caring and then stopped halfway through, and continued in this strip. Just strikes me as quite the change, especially since the "Quest for Zii" seemed like it was something of a big deal at first.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I agree, in that I thought it (the quest to get Zii back to the apartment) was going to be in-strip a lot longer. Maybe it would have taken too much time to doodle all the details? Maybe the journey back will be along the lines of 'the grass isn't greener on the other side." Maybe Lita forces Zii to move? Maybe Didi & Peggy are incompatible as roomies? Insert your suggestion here. Note that it doesn't look like Didi did much work trying to locate Zii; I guess because she feels she got in the way of Zii/Gary.

Nature dictated that the vacuum be filled; comedy convenience uprooted Peggy. My only real concern is what will happen to Peggy if she gets displaced by Zii moving back in? Or if Didi moves out because she can't handle the change, who will take her place in the flat? And there's still that niggling wrestling sub-plot, waiting to ninja strike.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Good points. I still have a lingering suspicion that Sonya may discover that the capture of Zii is not nearly as thrilling as the chase was, but I think that would take at least four days as per her statement about Gary.

As far as displacing Peggy it was suggested (I can't recall by whom, maybe several people?) that it could end up with all three of the principle cast no longer in the apartment and a new trio taking up residence. That would have an air of finality to it though, but things do seem to be moving at something of a brisk pace of late so who knows.

If it ended up being a result of the other occupants (Gary/Zii/Didi or any combination therein) sleeping together or becoming an item that would have certain cyclical tidiness to it since that's how this all began.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It's a stable situation. More to the point, Zii has found somewhere safe and warm to live - she's not crashing in the van or fleeing the city or anything - and Peggy is in effect saying that she's happy there.

Being concerned for a friend is good, and maybe Gary could still be a bit more engaged. But if you find that your friend is making rational-sounding life choices and seems happy about them, you can stop actively worrying and maybe ought to refrain from trying to run their lives for them. Gary is being reasonable here.

As to his attempts to find Zii having not gone anywhere - well, they didn't go anywhere. That feels like an abortive plot thread to me - a lot in Ma3 is pretty clearly made up as the writers go along - but whatever. DiDi of course was useless, because she's DiDi.

And if Peggy is displaced because Zii returns for some reason - that might spur Peggy to start actually looking for an apartment of her own, now she's got used to having decent accommodation rather than improvising. I'm not saying that she's been mooching off Sonya in an evil way - that set-up worked for both of them for a while - but it was stable but flawed. A small nudge might get her looking for a longer term solution.

(Pleeeease let her share with Ruby...)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Mooching might not be the right word though, since Peggy has a job and was likely paying rent.

But i get what you mean.

brasca

Post by brasca »

edisnooM wrote:All reasonable points, but last strip it literally went:

"Why? This is her home!"
"I didn't ask. Sorry"
"I guess it's convenient rent-wise."

It just seemed like he started the strip caring and then stopped halfway through, and continued in this strip. Just strikes me as quite the change, especially since the "Quest for Zii" seemed like it was something of a big deal at first.
Would you prefer Gary become obsessed with getting Zii, an adult woman, back home at all costs. When he first announced all that he probably thought Zii didn't feel welcome there anymore and returned to living in her van. Gary wanted to convince her otherwise and maybe he still thinks she thinks that the apartment is her home, but she's living with another friend and most importantly safe. Now that he knows where Zii is living he could visit her and explain everything better for the sake of closure, but for now Zii seems fine so why plot an elaborate scheme to get her back?

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

No I wasn't expecting or wanting Gary to go all Captain Ahab in looking for Zii, but since he seemed to be taking it somewhat seriously when he first set down that course for it to just seem to fizzle out seemed kind of strange. Also as I pointed out even in the strip where he found out where she was he seemed to be somewhat caring, note the exclamation mark after "This is her home", but then he just seemed to stop.

If there had been some discussion about Zii being happy there, or even if Peggy saying Sonya was happy came after Gary's exclamation the following pacifity might make more sense to me. As it is now it strikes me as quite a jarring shift.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Peggy, you're right, of course.

Waffles are the highest priority.

Talk of sexyfuntimes can be done WHILE eating waffles. ;)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)