Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

01-06-17 Omigosh band hug

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: 01-06-17 Omigosh band hug

Post by Spidrift »

No good deed goes unpunished, Sonya. Four lovely expressions on her face there, actually. Still, we once again see that the band has a weird kind of internal solidity, regardless of the way that their personality conflicts are titanic in scope.

Now, nobody tell Izz about the original problem. It looks like Sonya and Yuki are handling it relatively rationally, but we don't know what Izz might do to someone who both hurt Zii and was the target of Zii's interest.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

I find that last panel oddly heartwarming.

And to think, when we first met them, Zii was just a plucky punk rocker girl, Yuki was just a crazy ex-girlfriend, Sonya was just a sexually naive waitress and Izz was just a Zii fangirl with a similar hair colour style. How far they've all come since then...

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Yup. That's deeper than it looks.
Also, Sonya, take in the love girl. Just take it :D
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

LegendaryKroc wrote:And to think, when we first met them, Zii was just a plucky punk rocker girl, Yuki was just a crazy ex-girlfriend, Sonya was just a sexually naive waitress and Izz was just a Zii fangirl with a similar hair colour style. How far they've all come since then...
Well, Sonya has. The other three descriptions still fit, though you might drop the "just" for Zii and Yuki.
AlexDenton wrote:Also, Sonya, take in the love girl. Just take it :D
It helps for that purpose if one can breathe, though.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Meh, breathing is overrated ^^
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."

Hescotti

Post by Hescotti »

Hugs go "Glomp"?

magicrectangle

Post by magicrectangle »

I know Sonya is one of the taller characters, but this strip makes her seem downright DiDi-esque in stature.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Hescotti wrote:Hugs go "Glomp"?
"Glomp" is apparently a recognised term, coming out of the manga world (surprise surprise).
magicrectangle wrote:I know Sonya is one of the taller characters, but this strip makes her seem downright DiDi-esque in stature.
That may be emphasised for effect; she's kind of getting buried in smaller women, but she's statuesque enough not to collapse under the weight. Plus, she has to be visible enough for us to get the full benefit of her facial expressions.

Anyway, they're mostly folding in various places while she's standing tall.
---------
Spidrift

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Spidrift wrote: she's kind of getting buried in smaller women, but she's statuesque enough not to collapse under the weight.
Anyway, they're mostly folding in various places while she's standing tall.
I got a brief mental picture of Sonya as Wonderwoman being hugged by Wondergirl, Supergirl and Batgirl from that ^^
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

At which point, one must cast DiDi as Big Barda or (more likely, of course) Powergirl...
---------
Spidrift

suranae

Post by suranae »

Barda is taller than Supergirl & power girl has a smaller chest than Didi.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Smells like team spirit.

That is a very nice pic of Sonya in Panel 1, being tender. I don't know if there's enough drama or denial or breathing room for Sonya & Zii to actually have a great relationship, but Sonya certainly looks more caring there than in any other strip I can remember. It is sort of creepy in some respects, since she's normally anything but. All of Sonya's expressions are good, but that one made the strip for me (although Panel 4 is also quite amusing).

I wonder if we'll get to see what Izz is actually doing in the band now (tutoring, helping out, whatever). I doubt she's gotten any better. I also hope that she doesn't find out the particulars of why Zii is living in the backroom now; however for comedy's sake, I don't see how she can't *not* find out.

I wonder if the hate-sex Sonya & Yuki had was a transference of Sonya's anger/repressed love for Zii. Hence another good reason why Sonya used the 'bitch' word last strip. Sonya probably knows that Yuki was an ex of Zii's, so it would be like being with someone Zii's been with before. I'm sure Kiley could piece a psych profile around that, and most likely would have had she known about Yuki's past with Zii and Sonya's infatuation with Zii. I'm not too sure why Yuki was also gonzo for the hate-sex though, apart from the fierce competition over Gary & Zii they shared. Just a thought.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

worldshaking00 wrote:I'm not too sure why Yuki was also gonzo for the hate-sex though, apart from the fierce competition over Gary & Zii they shared.
Umm... because Sonya is a gorgeous sexy bombshell and anyone would be gonzo for sex with a gorgeous sexy bombshell, be it love-sex or friendly-sex or hate-sex or whatever? ;)

That said, I think you are on solid ground with your emotional/psychological analysis. Kiley would totally approve.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I was wondering when Izzy was going to show up but I now wonder if the band will have another concert or gig at some point before the comic ends. With all the character development that's happening I'm thinking or guessing that the comic is now on a path to some kind of ending or conclusion.