31-05-17 Stick with you for life

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

UnsightlyWalrus

Re: 31-05-17 Stick with you for life

Post by UnsightlyWalrus »

I'd pick Gary over Zii and I'm a straight man...

Zii is the kind of girl I'd keep away from.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Spidrift wrote: Sorry, but blow that. Her friend and old lover Zii was in distress, right in front of her, and all she could do was wander off into bilingual bollocks. That's obliviousness raised to the level of heartlessness. At least Sonya tried to reassure Zii.
That's not entirely fair. After all, Yuki is in love with Gary and Zii knows that. Zii knows any statement to the contrary would be insincere.
Last edited by Cortez on Wed May 31, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linnah

Post by Linnah »

Spidrift wrote: Remember that Zii sees Sonya as "too clingy", which is the exact flipside of Sonya seeing Zii as "unattainable". When Sonya says that she'd stick with Zii for life, she means that's what she wants. (Or at least she very much thinks she does.) If Zii offered her a no-strings one-night stand, Sonya would try very hard indeed to stretch it indefinitely - and Zii understands that. Zii is potentially capable of indefinite fidelity with someone, maybe - she tried with Erik - but she isn't able to commit to it with Sonya.

Hence, incompatible objectives. The resolution, I think, will involve Sonya coming to realise that her addiction to Zii is more to do with Zii breaking her out of her old rut rather than real love. After which, Sonya will be able to seduce Zii every few months, for shit and giggles, without Zii being too terrified of the consequences to succumb. I mean, there'll still be consequences, but they'll be things that Zii can negotiate and Sonya can enjoy.
Long time lurker 'round these forums but I just wanted to say that I love your commentary and overall opinion on these strips and their development, Spidrift. It really adds a whole new layer of thoughtfulness to it which I always enjoy reading. Kudos!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Cortez wrote:That's not entirely fair. After all, Yuki is in love with Gary and Zii knows that. Zii knows any statement to the contrary would be insincere.
Yuki doesn't have to lie about anything. She just has to make reassuring noises and stop talking about things that are distressing Zii. It's basic tact; not causing avoidable pain.
Linnah wrote:Kudos!
Thanks!
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Platonix

Post by Platonix »

Milnoc wrote:Sonya pulled a covfefe on Zii! :p

Sorry! It's the word of the day! :D
...umm...yeah, not seeing it. Sonya didn't mumble or fall asleep mid-sentence, and while she's certainly ruined all sorts of things out of self-interest before, this isn't a case of her doing so. Did she pull a covfefe by asking the wrong person (Yuki) to back her up on a point? Seems kinda tenuous...

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Spidrift wrote: Yuki doesn't have to lie about anything. She just has to make reassuring noises and stop talking about things that are distressing Zii. It's basic tact; not causing avoidable pain.
But again, the issue is Zii thinking those reassuring noises aren't sincere. Yuki isn't going to badmouth Gary.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

There is a huge gap between not bad-mouthing Gary and making nothing but waffly noises at a depressed woman. She could simply have emphasised the positive for her supposed friend. Grown-ups can at least try to keep things balanced and prioritise what's immediately important at times like this.

It's not news that Yuki has all the interpersonal skills and sensitivity of a tantrum-throwing eight-year-old, but this strip shows that she hasn't improved much.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Spidrift wrote:I don't think that this is going anywhere, romantically or sexually, because that's not how it's starting. Zii is in desperate need of a comfort cuddle, and Sonya has just said something (weirdly) nice to her. This is much the same as the cuddle she gave Jung when he gave her the kitty ears at the concert.

Nor do I see Sonya misinterpreting this or trying to take advantage. Sonya is no genius, but she's quite emotionally literate by the standards of the cast; she'll know a weepy friend when she sees one, and know that it'd be obnoxious and wrong - and futile - to try to take advantage.
While I agree that would be the adult and "healthy" thing, Sonya has in the past shown to be very manipulative and inconsiderate of others in order to get what she wants, using Gary to get to Yuki for example. Also in the Ma3-verse the transition from normal conversation to sexytimes doesn't seem to take much.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
worldshaking00 wrote:Do you think the reason Sonya used the 'bitch' word to Zii was to see if Zii might get angry at Sonya, and then they could have Yuki/Sonya style hate-sex? Button pushing is a skill Sonya is relatively good at (of course, Yuki's buttons are easy to press).
Not buying it. Sonya is drawn as none too bright, but capable of surprising victories; this paradox is explained by her sometimes coming up with clever plans. But she's not planning here; she's reacting, passionately.

Which would be why she used the b-word. One thing she hasn't managed, despite all her planning, is to get Zii back. Not surprisingly, she's angry at this - angry enough to use excessively harsh language.
I'm glad that Yuki actually took the time to compare Zii & Gary's love-making styles.
Sorry, but blow that. Her friend and old lover Zii was in distress, right in front of her, and all she could do was wander off into bilingual bollocks. That's obliviousness raised to the level of heartlessness. At least Sonya tried to reassure Zii.
Zii probably would have been a more experienced lover to Didi, but I just don't think Zii knows of Didi's orgasm issues.
Zii has known about DiDi's orgasm issues since forever. What she doesn't know about is DiDi's intimacy issues, because only Kiley has recognised those, because Kiley brain. But Zii is a bit crap at intimacy, because her usual reaction to the idea is to run away. So no, I don't think she'd have got anywhere with DiDi.
Her friend is in distress. Doesn't mean she has to lie to her friend or at the very least, lie about Gary, the man she (at least believes) loves.

Yuki is also a better judge than Sonya is. Sonya was never going to give Gary a chance. Was with him a short time and when he still hadn't had sex often. Since then, he may not have become Matt, but it appears sex wise he's improved greatly and still has oral skills. With all that, Sonya was and still is, to fixated on Zii to ever give Gary a chance.

Plus, he's not going to bring the drama. Though, if Zii did settle down with her, where would the drama be? :p

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

And then something completely unexpected happens. Well done, Giz.

When we all were thinking that Zii's only endgame options were Gary and DiDi, Sonya comes and turns everything upside down.

I think it's the first time in this webcomic that something like this happens.

I mean, words of love or desire? Oh sure, we hear them all the time, they are like a dime a dozen. Lust-fuelled declarations of fidelity to someone you don't really know or understand simply because they made you feel good in bed? Really, we have plenty of that.

But I do think this is the first time a cast member who is clear-minded about the situation and knows what she's talking about officially commits, in a serious and formal way, making a heartfelt pledge and professing her eternal commitment to another cast member.

And it was Sonya, of all people. Wonderfully played.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

edisnooM wrote:While I agree that would be the adult and "healthy" thing, Sonya has in the past shown to be very manipulative and inconsiderate of others in order to get what she wants, using Gary to get to Yuki for example.
True, though Sonya was perfectly prepared to give Gary a good time in the process. She's kind of cheerful and upbeat that way. But anyway, Sonya honestly thinks that she loves Zii. She might manipulate her into coming back, but I really don't think that she'd do something that she knew would make Zii miserable.
edisnooM wrote:Also in the Ma3-verse the transition from normal conversation to sexytimes doesn't seem to take much.
Okay, I'll give you that.
JoybuzzerX wrote:Her friend is in distress. Doesn't mean she has to lie to her friend or at the very least, lie about Gary, the man she (at least believes) loves.
Sometimes, Yes it bloody well does. Or at least, avoid spouting stupidly dangerous truth.

You do understand the meaning of "tact", don't you?

One might, say, think that someone is a bit of an idiot, and that honesty is important. That does not mean that one says "you're an idiot" when they're standing on a ledge.
Vitocap wrote:When we all were thinking that Zii's only endgame options were Gary and DiDi, Sonya comes and turns everything upside down.
Actually, I think that this scene is about short-term comfort, not long-term commitment.
Vitocap wrote:But I do think this is the first time a cast member who is clear-minded about the situation and knows what she's talking about officially commits, in a serious and formal way, making a heartfelt pledge and professing her eternal commitment to another cast member.
Actually, it's a commitment if Zii will have her. And while this is the first time she's expressed it this way, we've known for a long time that Sonya has a very romantic view of her relationship with Zii. Heck, even Zii knew it; she specifically worries that Sonya wants her for the rest of their lives.
---------
Spidrift

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Damn Sonya, that was smooth af:D
Pretty sure that's as good it's gonna get for my OTP, but whatever, awesome strip :)
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

Dorgengoa
BANNED

Post by Dorgengoa »

This would almost be sweet, if it weren't for the gendered insult.
This is getting out of hand.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

There is a gendered insult? I might be to happy to see it. Do you mind point it out please?

Quote removed. The DAMNed
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

"Bitch" is (a) an insult and (b) only applied to one gender.

Of course, one woman using it to another modulates that a little, and the whole point of this scene is that Sonya is ragingly emotional, throws what should usually be a fairly horrible insult at Zii - and ends up making Zii feel better thereby. Life is full of complications.
---------
Spidrift