Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

31-05-17 Stick with you for life

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: 31-05-17 Stick with you for life

Post by Spidrift »

Ah, the complexities of the sincere compliment. And Sonya approaches something like intelligent awareness there. The character growth, it hums.

Nipicky detail question: in panel 2, is Sonya supposed to be waggling her hand rapidly or something? She seems to have two thumbs but only three fingers.

I had to look up okonomiyaki, of course, but now I think I may have eaten it once. There was a place just down the road from the British Museum...

Good strip, anyway. Sweet, soap-operatic, sexy, and funny. Proper Ma3.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Aw, sweet that Yuki seems to genuinely care about Zii's feelings, but also stays - for lack of a better word - loyal to her view of Gary.
Don't know about "unattainable," but Sonya would definitely qualify as the "stubborn bitch" here. Her remark about being bored with Gary after 4 days, while truthful, neglects to mention she was always bored with him - merely using him to both "one up" Yuki and try to make Zii jealous.
Regardless, no matter how fun or frustrating this strip gets, it remains friggin' engaging and addictive. :)

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

OllieOrOlly wrote:Her remark about being bored with Gary after 4 days, while truthful, neglects to mention she was always bored with him - merely using him to both "one up" Yuki and try to make Zii jealous.
Sonya barely even knows Gary, she didn't even try to get to know him beyond him being an artist since she was more interested in competing with Yuki for him. Yuki actually wanted him, and was genuinely depressed when things fell apart. But Sonya is too shallow and drama-fixated to even register any of that.
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

She wasn't bored with him so long as the drama lasted. This being Gary, the drama didn't last very long.

I wouldn't call Sonya stubborn, generally, though she's certainly capable of being a bitch. Her attention span is far too wobbly for her to refuse to shift positions. Actually, her willingness to engage in character evolution is one of her better features.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Sonya pulled a covfefe on Zii! :p

Sorry! It's the word of the day! :D

brasca

Post by brasca »

OllieOrOlly wrote:Aw, sweet that Yuki seems to genuinely care about Zii's feelings, but also stays - for lack of a better word - loyal to her view of Gary.
Don't know about "unattainable," but Sonya would definitely qualify as the "stubborn bitch" here. Her remark about being bored with Gary after 4 days, while truthful, neglects to mention she was always bored with him - merely using him to both "one up" Yuki and try to make Zii jealous.
Regardless, no matter how fun or frustrating this strip gets, it remains friggin' engaging and addictive. :)
Loyal and honest. I don't think she could lie about the effects of the swirly even to make Zii feel better.

And Sonya is partially correct about unattainable. If casual sex is what you seek then Zii is quite attainable, but if you want something regular or even monogamous she is not. Sonya may not see wedding bells in the future, but I think she'd be willing to settle for what Zii and Amber had going on.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Awww, this is cute! :x
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:And Sonya is partially correct about unattainable. If casual sex is what you seek then Zii is quite attainable, but if you want something regular or even monogamous she is not. Sonya may not see wedding bells in the future, but I think she'd be willing to settle for what Zii and Amber had going on.
Remember that Zii sees Sonya as "too clingy", which is the exact flipside of Sonya seeing Zii as "unattainable". When Sonya says that she'd stick with Zii for life, she means that's what she wants. (Or at least she very much thinks she does.) If Zii offered her a no-strings one-night stand, Sonya would try very hard indeed to stretch it indefinitely - and Zii understands that. Zii is potentially capable of indefinite fidelity with someone, maybe - she tried with Erik - but she isn't able to commit to it with Sonya.

Hence, incompatible objectives. The resolution, I think, will involve Sonya coming to realise that her addiction to Zii is more to do with Zii breaking her out of her old rut rather than real love. After which, Sonya will be able to seduce Zii every few months, for shit and giggles, without Zii being too terrified of the consequences to succumb. I mean, there'll still be consequences, but they'll be things that Zii can negotiate and Sonya can enjoy.
---------
Spidrift

Boro

Post by Boro »

She's unattainable? Okay... :)

She's not a bitch, though.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

She's unattainable for what Sonya wants. And she's been harsh to Sonya because it's the only way to keep Sonya at a safe distance. No, she's not really a bitch - but there's a reason why Sonya used the word.

And she needed reminding what the situation is with Sonya, because however messy it is, it wouldn't have happened if she wasn't someone who other people valued. She needed Sonya's rough honesty a lot more than she needed Yuki's nit-picking tactlessness.
---------
Spidrift

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Do you think the reason Sonya used the 'bitch' word to Zii was to see if Zii might get angry at Sonya, and then they could have Yuki/Sonya style hate-sex? Button pushing is a skill Sonya is relatively good at (of course, Yuki's buttons are easy to press).

I'm glad that Yuki actually took the time to compare Zii & Gary's love-making styles. Her love for Gary is more true because she's not just crushing on him... even this far along in the strip's timeline. I really hope that their relationship will pan out once/if they can get it officially started.

Zii probably would have been a more experienced lover to Didi, but I just don't think Zii knows of Didi's orgasm issues. It is much more in Zii's personality to keep hammering at the problem (Didi not orgasming) than to try to communicate to her lover and give them what they want (i.e. ask unfulfilled Didi what Kiley did exactly to get her off). I'm sure Zii would have cared at Didi not having an orgasm, but after 6+ hours (had the two ladies gotten squelchy instead of Didi/Gary) Zii would have been too rubbery to move. Who knows though; her romantic side might have shown through, composing an impromptu couple of verses to whisper into Didi's ear while they were in loveplay.

The world will never know.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:Do you think the reason Sonya used the 'bitch' word to Zii was to see if Zii might get angry at Sonya, and then they could have Yuki/Sonya style hate-sex? Button pushing is a skill Sonya is relatively good at (of course, Yuki's buttons are easy to press).
Not buying it. Sonya is drawn as none too bright, but capable of surprising victories; this paradox is explained by her sometimes coming up with clever plans. But she's not planning here; she's reacting, passionately.

Which would be why she used the b-word. One thing she hasn't managed, despite all her planning, is to get Zii back. Not surprisingly, she's angry at this - angry enough to use excessively harsh language.
I'm glad that Yuki actually took the time to compare Zii & Gary's love-making styles.
Sorry, but blow that. Her friend and old lover Zii was in distress, right in front of her, and all she could do was wander off into bilingual bollocks. That's obliviousness raised to the level of heartlessness. At least Sonya tried to reassure Zii.
Zii probably would have been a more experienced lover to Didi, but I just don't think Zii knows of Didi's orgasm issues.
Zii has known about DiDi's orgasm issues since forever. What she doesn't know about is DiDi's intimacy issues, because only Kiley has recognised those, because Kiley brain. But Zii is a bit crap at intimacy, because her usual reaction to the idea is to run away. So no, I don't think she'd have got anywhere with DiDi.
---------
Spidrift

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

I really can't picture this ending well. Sonya always seemed more interested in the thrill of the chase but not in the capture. I think the very fact that Zii was "unattainable" is probably one of the things that she finds most attractive, if she actually succeeded in getting Zii without the accompanying drama I can't help feeling that she might get bored of her in four days too.

And on Zii's side she is kind of in an emotional flux right now, sort of on a rebound, so if in her current state she ends up charging into what she perceives as "good" relationship this could go horribly wrong and leave her worse off than before.

Maybe the next strip will have Jung appear (perhaps lowered from the ceiling ancient Greek style :-) ) and give them all some cryptic sage advice.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I don't think that this is going anywhere, romantically or sexually, because that's not how it's starting. Zii is in desperate need of a comfort cuddle, and Sonya has just said something (weirdly) nice to her. This is much the same as the cuddle she gave Jung when he gave her the kitty ears at the concert.

Nor do I see Sonya misinterpreting this or trying to take advantage. Sonya is no genius, but she's quite emotionally literate by the standards of the cast; she'll know a weepy friend when she sees one, and know that it'd be obnoxious and wrong - and futile - to try to take advantage.
---------
Spidrift