17-05-17 Starts trusting me too much

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

magicrectangle

Re: 17-05-17 Starts trusting me too much

Post by magicrectangle »

Don Alexander wrote:
magicrectangle wrote:The girl in panel 2 is freaking me right out.
Yes, doesn't she know she's in the wrong comic? Everyone in Ma3 follows modern beauty ideals!! [-(
What? That's not what's freaky, it is her eyes and face. She looks like she's reacting to somebody throwing feces off camera or something.

And what's going on with her arm? She seems to be in the foreground, in front of Gary, but if so her arm is horribly deformed.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

As far as Jung goes, some people like to watch train wrecks or house fires. They don't actively pursue or create those events; but, they don't shirk from getting the details once they happen. Like his theater reviews, he's an observer of some of the crazy goings-on around him. Throw in his cosplay fetish, and you've got a character that works for the comic. Yay for Jung helping Zii out, even if he has some slightly selfish reasons to listen to Zii (keeping the band here, keeping Zii as an employee). Also good on Jung for not outright lying to Gary while still helping out Zii right next to him. It might be a little misleading, but Jung is one of the few characters in the universe who tends to have a level head on his shoulders. His advice & assistance is usually solid, if not cosplay-tinged. Being a comic shop owner must be very similar to being a bartender: one hears lots of issues with one's customers (not not just about the current comic 'issue' in print).

I'm also glad Gary did not go into hysterics on the phone with Jung, nor that he went into great detail with Jung in a public place. It might have been funny to have some of the passengers eavesdrop on his conversation, though. Maybe from the next person Gary calls... maybe Tracy at work?

Happy 9th Ma3! :ymparty:
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

magicrectangle wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:
Yes, doesn't she know she's in the wrong comic? Everyone in Ma3 follows modern beauty ideals!! [-(
What? That's not what's freaky, it is her eyes and face. She looks like she's reacting to somebody throwing feces off camera or something.

And what's going on with her arm? She seems to be in the foreground, in front of Gary, but if so her arm is horribly deformed.
Are we seeing the same panel? How is her arm disfigured? She doesnt look like she has a disgusted expression..more like a pretty-person neutral face.

Oh Zii, nice to see she's back to her exaggerated feelings! :D She used to emote SO MUCH MORE than she does now.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

she is on the side of Gary ( seat wise ) and just waiting for her stop to come

and I think what throws off many people about "arm" is that the mind wants to think "she is only wearing a scarf" and can't see she is wearing a shirt. she has same "clothing crest" that Jung has in 3rd panel, is not denoting her arm.
ImageImage

magicrectangle

Post by magicrectangle »

TwoWayStar wrote:She doesnt look like she has a disgusted expression..more like a pretty-person neutral face.
Not disgusted so much as surprised and her head retreating backwards before her body has started to respond. Maybe you could interpret it differently, but the first thing that struck me as odd was the wide eyes. Then this...
Are we seeing the same panel? How is her arm disfigured?
How is it not? It just sort of stops. But it isn't obscured by Gary, because she's partially obstructing view of his shoulder.

Maybe wiseguy has the right interpretation, but I don't understand the function of the bolder, inward line in that interpretation either.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

On the negative side, Zii has to wear moe at work. On the plus side, she's allowed to bring her pet. ;)

SilentChaos87

Post by SilentChaos87 »

Really glad that Zii went to Jung and not someone who would make the situation ten times worse like.....uh.....I think 9o% of the cast would.
Tropemaster General
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition.
As a gamer I acknowledge and respect those who play for fun. So long as they acknowledge and respect that I also play to win.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

magicrectangle wrote:That's not what's freaky, it is her eyes and face. She looks like she's reacting to somebody throwing feces off camera or something.

Some people do have that sort of face; I'd guess she was just zoning out a bit. People do that on buses. And she's certainly got rather sloping shoulders, but again, nothing freakish so far as I can see. There's a slightly odd crease in her coat, but that might be defined by her bust.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

WizzarTheRed

Post by WizzarTheRed »

Giz wrote:New strip! http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/star ... -too-much/

BTW, Ma3 is 9 years old today! :ymparty:
*Plays the Final Fantasy victory theme*

Congratulations on 9 years running!

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Spidrift wrote:
magicrectangle wrote:That's not what's freaky, it is her eyes and face. She looks like she's reacting to somebody throwing feces off camera or something.

Some people do have that sort of face; I'd guess she was just zoning out a bit. People do that on buses. And she's certainly got rather sloping shoulders, but again, nothing freakish so far as I can see. There's a slightly odd crease in her coat, but that might be defined by her bust.
I think the basic problem is that Giz has ONLY drawn what we see - i.e., she hasn't even so much as roughed out the rest of the upper body. Which is the source of a lot of the comic equivalent of Photoshop Disasters, where part of a figure looks kind of okay as it stands, but if you step back and figure out where everything else would go, it doesn't add up.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

magicrectangle wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:

Not sure what you're seeing but she's just sitting next to Gary on the bus looking forward lost in her thoughts. Gary is a bit too slouched but other than that, pretty standard stuff.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (216.66 KiB) Viewed 7041 times

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Wow 9 years, pretty crazy.

It doesn't seem like something he would do, but hopefully Jung doesn't misuse the situation. It should be interesting to see if he can help Zii figure out what, or perhaps who, she is really upset about.

Also now that Gary knows about Kiley and Didi (which I was sure he already did) what are the chances he will end up talking to her during all this?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Jung can be depended on to misuse the situation, but only in a trivial way. He already has; look what Zii is wearing. But he won't do anything much worse than that, because that would be uncool.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

mulrich88

Post by mulrich88 »

Spidrift wrote:Happy birthday to the comic, Happy birthday to the comic, Happy birthday dear comic, Happy...

Oops. Possible copyright violation there.
That song has been out of copyright in the USA since 28th June, 2016, following a court ruling and a settlement. In the EU, it's been out of copyright since 1st January, 2017, because the author died in 1946.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Thanks. I shall feel much safer at birthday parties from now on...
---------
Spidrift