15-04-17 Du bon progress

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Mutant for Hire

Re: 15-04-17 Du bon progress

Post by Mutant for Hire »

Actually, in some ways Zii is lucky. I don't see her succeeding at giving DiDi an orgasm any more than Gary.

Of course, this is the reason that Gary and Zii can't be allowed to have sex. Because in fact they'd have really great sex for hours on end, and that isn't remotely funny.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Why am I not the least bit surprised?

Seriously I wish this comic would have another big plot twist of some kind but I guess the creators now just want to play it safe until the end.

Khazuki

Post by Khazuki »

A lot of people here don't seem to get that this is an episodic comic; nothing is supposed to change, ever. New characters get introduced, new relationships are made (which can't last), but you should expect everyone to retain the same flaws they've always had.

If characters begin experiencing real, steady development, the comic would probably end in a couple hundred more strips, as everyone sorts out and grows out of the quirks and foibles that make the comic entertaining.

Mutant for Hire

Post by Mutant for Hire »

Khazuki wrote:A lot of people here don't seem to get that this is an episodic comic; nothing is supposed to change, ever.
I know. People don't seem to understand that Gary needs to remain the same sexually frustrated virgin that he was when the comic started. He shouldn't ever get popular with women. And of course Matt and Dillion are the eternal happy gay couple.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Good writing can create new foibles and quirks that are just as entertaining, and indeed in a long running series it can become necessary to keep things from being too repetitive. Plus character development need not equal getting rid of or growing out of everything.

SuperAnon

Post by SuperAnon »

Honestly, I feel bad for this entire plot path.

I was a hoping for a Didi-Gary ship (if a Gary-Didi-Zii wasn't possible). There is almost something noble about Didi not being able to reach climax with anyone she isn't in love with. It's almost like a self-defense mechanism from shallow relationships that she's mostly had up until now. That being said, being shallow and using someone else isn't the answer either. Earilier in the comic it looked like she might have had some real feelings towards Gary. That's pretty much FUBAR now.

I can understand there's not a lot of room for the comic to continue if everything is all happy endings and swirly, but Gary still has to develop enough as a character to stand up for himself. Zii has already developed to the point where she is seeking meaningful relationships (not just great sex) and Didi is just truly starting to relate to other people.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

RemoWilliams

Post by RemoWilliams »

In a way, this could be a chance for all three to do some growth.

99% of the time, Zii has gotten whatever she wanted and this current sadness feels more like "missed the chance to screw" than "unrequited love". I mean, she hasn't exactly been pining away while DiDi's been involved with others nor has she stopped being with other people. Somebody close to her could point this out and tell her to get over herself.

This is Gary's opportunity to develop past the Swirly and stop being such a one-trick pony. Try other things and gain other skills. Which leads us to...

DiDi. Kiley could point out to her that she needs to establish an emotional connection. Work with your partner. Tell him what you like and ask him what he likes. Go out, have a fun time and don't think about sex. Enjoy yourself outside the bedroom and you'll probably enjoy yourself in the bedroom.

The last one is good advice for all three. They definitely need to work on their relationship abilities.

Remo Williams,
The Master of Sinanju.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Varanus wrote:Sheesh, books could be written about what kind of childhoods and genetics could produce these characters. :ymsmug:
DiDi is a cuckoo. She drops into the nests of other birds, and they feel compelled to feed and look after her at no profit to themselves. She once said that her parents weren't well off, but had always tried to give her the best. For most of us, that'd be a figure of speech when we said that we loved our parents. For DiDi, I get the impression it was literally true and faintly horrific.

The other two ... meh. Zii is an outgoing, charismatic indivudual who's never previously had to grow up. Gary is just a classic geek, raised to a comedic level. I don't see much family complexity there. The Larose family may have a story or two, mind you, and one might wonder where Matt got his looks and when his vanity exploded.
edisnooM wrote:Also Gary doesn't really seem the sort, but could Zii's mocking lead him to want to prove to her (and possibly himself) the power of the Swirly™?
Nah. Gary has a bit of an inferiority complex. Unless it involves Transformers, you're not going to kick him into assertive vanity mode. And he seemed to realise early on that the swirly is a mixed blessing at best.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

JackApostrophe

Post by JackApostrophe »

Spidrift wrote:
Varanus wrote:Sheesh, books could be written about what kind of childhoods and genetics could produce these characters. :ymsmug:
DiDi is a cuckoo. She drops into the nests of other birds, and they feel compelled to feed and look after her at no profit to themselves. She once said that her parents weren't well off, but had always tried to give her the best. For most of us, that'd be a figure of speech when we said that we loved our parents. For DiDi, I get the impression it was literally true and faintly horrific.

The other two ... meh. Zii is an outgoing, charismatic indivudual who's never previously had to grow up. Gary is just a classic geek, raised to a comedic level. I don't see much family complexity there. The Larose family may have a story or two, mind you, and one might wonder where Matt got his looks and when his vanity exploded.
Didn't Gary grow up in some sort of hyper-religious town? There has to be some complexity there.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

JackApostrophe wrote:Assuming they learnt the right lessons, this could be really good for all three of them.

Of course they won't learn the right lessons, but whatever.
Truth. Comedic truth.
Ecchi-Spud wrote:FOUR HOURS OF SWIRLY?!?
Varanus wrote:Didi herself has some endurance to be on edge like that for hours (notice they both built up a sweat). They're both quite impressive.
You have to admit -- that is VERY impressive!! ^:)^
Yes indeed. That's like Darth Vader's Empire remark: "Impressive. Most impressive."
Spidrift wrote:Hmm. If this story gets back to Zii in full, will she become horribly prone to gloating at Gary - "See? Your famous super-power isn't all that great!" Not that he ever boasted that it was - it was all the women he used it on who did the advertising - but Zii doesn't see it that way. He may find her attitude very puzzling.

He may also feel that he has to consult Kiley. Have they interacted much since their break-up, aside from the weird circumstances of Matt's little orgy? It could be a rather emotionally weird and difficult conversation.
It will probably be hard for her to not know. Gary's tongue and jaw will be in traction, or he'll be late for work, and/or Didi will be moping around unsatisfied. Unless, of course, she's so thoroughly crushed that she is numb. However it is in Zii's nature to rub Gary's nose in it, maybe even for spite's sake at taking her 'prize' away from her (when in truth it was Didi who was oblivious to Zii's advances). Of course, I think that, if Gary had a spine, he might offer to show Zii that his SGR is that good... once he's recovered from trying to give Didi her O-moment.

I don't think Kiley has been dealing with anyone save for Didi, Sonya, and Yuki. It's sort of uncanny.

And I agree: I think Zii is in super-charged lust with Didi. Could it develop into actual love? Surely.
cheshire86 wrote:"The Swirl is with you, young Gary... but you are not a Jedi yet." :D
"I am one with the Swirly, and the Swirly is with me." should be Didi's mantra, then. \M/
JackApostrophe wrote:Actually... has anyone ever been in love with Didi? Almost everyone is in instant lust with her, but love?
An interesting proposition. Her stereotype could work against her romantically like that. People are so infatuated with her appearance that they don't look deeper into her other qualities. How she picks up on that vibe, though, would be borderline magical though. It's incredulous to believe that none of her past numerous lovers didn't whisper sweet nothings into her ear. But then again, they could have been enraptured by the Didi effect. Comedy versus statistical real life, I guess. That would probably also put Zii in the same camp as her previous lovers unless she can figure out what makes Didi cum.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

And she won't return the favor for Gary *nod*

Zenspeed

Post by Zenspeed »

JoybuzzerX wrote:And she won't return the favor for Gary *nod*
That might be the same problem she had with Kiley as well: she doesn't know how to reciprocate probably because most people are just happy to be with her.

As someone else said, she's probably the most socially incompetent person in the comic: she knows people want her, she knows how to be wanted, but she doesn't actually connect with people in the way normal people do. It's kind of sad, and I'm not sure whether I should feel sorry for her or dislike her because she's only attracted to people who she thinks can give her what she wants rather being attracted to people and wondering what she has to offer besides being hot.

And given where Gary's head is, I gotta say, that is one long-assed tongue.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

JackApostrophe wrote:Didn't Gary grow up in some sort of hyper-religious town? There has to be some complexity there.
He said so, once. He's never repeated the claim since, and we've seen zero evidence of religious indoctrination or influence.

The obvious conclusion is that the writers just don't want to go there - maybe they don't feel that they can tackle the theme convincingly or without offence, or maybe they just can't see a way to make it funny. My personal headcanon says that his family were whitebread church-goers in a very mildly conservative community, and he's been using that as an excuse for not confronting his own inadequacies ever since.
worldshaking00 wrote:However it is in Zii's nature to rub Gary's nose in it, maybe even for spite's sake at taking her 'prize' away from her (when in truth it was Didi who was oblivious to Zii's advances).
Yep. And subsequently feel guilty about it when she realises she's been a jerk. Impulse control problems, that one.
I don't think Kiley has been dealing with anyone save for Didi, Sonya, and Yuki. It's sort of uncanny.
The girl does have a postgrad course to work on...
It's incredulous to believe that none of her past numerous lovers didn't whisper sweet nothings into her ear.
Remember, they have to be perfectly sculpted, convincing sweet nothings. (Kiley is good at this stuff.) And DiDi has been known to induce premature ejaculation without even skin contact. Guys aren't going to be saying much more than OH GOD OH GOD YESSSSSS with her.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

IONDragonX

Post by IONDragonX »

Dun Dun Dun!!

Raamyah
Creator of small worlds

Post by Raamyah »

JackApostrophe wrote:Actually... has anyone ever been in love with Didi? Almost everyone is in instant lust with her, but love?
Sandra, maybe? :ympray: :x :ympray:

Yes, I know I'm still shipping the most sunk ship in this strip, but I will always have hope.
"There are four pillars of existence that support the very foundations of the universe: the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant, Newtonian gravity, and the all-encompassing awesomeness of breasts." - Pauli Polsuo

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid." - Anonymous