09-03-17 Is this what breaking up feels like

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

GKNolan

Re: 09-03-17 Is this what breaking up feels like

Post by GKNolan »

My guess was we'll get a cut to Gary and Zii leaving the cafe separately because awkwardness.
Zii will get home first after Maura and Tess leave and find Didi.
Gary will run into Kiley, who may or may not hide from him.

Will sexy times ensue? Maybe.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

True_Avery wrote:Sweet, a KOTOR 2 reference. Fun fact, True Avery was the name of my female Main Character from KOTOR 1, made from the random name generator. Been my user name for a decade since.
That is awesome, T_A.

Speaking of KOTOR 1, have you used the mod that lets you romance Bastila as a girl?

True_Avery

Post by True_Avery »

I did think of doing that, but honestly I never liked Bastila as a romance option. I played through the game as male once, and only once, and by the end of it I came out with a bad taste in my mouth about her character - I wont spoil it for people who've not played this 13 year old game, but I will say that near the end of the story she becomes insufferably immature and the entire "romance" feels like a 14 year old discovering her first ever crush on that cute boyband member and she just MUST wear his skin. I'll be the great betrayer here and say when I played female MC and found myself boob-blocked out of Juhani's romance by early 2000's homophobia, I instead romanced Carth because why not; found I liked Carth's side much more, and even at the time I believed that people were being immature and "teenager" about Carth's "complaining." Dude has had a rough time, and is justifiably concerned about everything, and he's probably the only character in the game that actually has a character arc. To this day stands as probably the only male create a character I've ever played in an RPG that actually romanced a chick, and only female to romance a male. It also wasn't long after playing that game for the first time that I figured out just how gay I was, so, thanks Kotor I think.

Plus, in general, I tend to avoid same-sex conversion mods - they can't fix the audio that still refers to you as "he", and I'm actually not really into sexuality bending characters; if they're not gay, then they're not gay. My ability to start shipping starts when I think the person might be even a -little- gay, then its all fair game in rubbing them against other girls.
Last edited by True_Avery on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play Kindred Spirits on the Roof! Play Starlight Vega! Play Ladykiller in a Bind!

Maechris

Post by Maechris »

I am not sure if I misunderstood your post there, but while not a fully fledged romance the only time Juhani expresses any romantic-like interest in your character is if said character is female.

It is a shame it wasn't a full romance but apparrently they left the potential for that out of SW rpgs at the time and decided 'Jade Empire it is, those damn asians tolerate that yaoi stuff better anyway'.

Personally I was actually disappointed when they experimented with characters not having personal sexual orientations, such as Dragon Age 2 making everyone Hawkesexual. As long as people don't become obsessed with it it helps flesh a character out.
More often than not people fail to see the entirety of the issue, and focus on a single facet of it. Ask yourself what makes you right before you set fire on other people for being wrong. // "Chemical reactions between the kawaii and uguu hormones.Within the Desu Gland. This is near to the upper Moe muscle."

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Dammit Bobbie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQD3At3E7TA

But Kiley made it look so easy

rakedan

Post by rakedan »

Coincidentally, it's raining outside
An idiot on internet with memory problem.

True_Avery

Post by True_Avery »

Maechris wrote:I am not sure if I misunderstood your post there, but while not a fully fledged romance the only time Juhani expresses any romantic-like interest in your character is if said character is female.
It is a shame it wasn't a full romance but apparrently they left the potential for that out of SW rpgs at the time and decided 'Jade Empire it is, those damn asians tolerate that yaoi stuff better anyway'.
From what I remember( and I may be wrong), they originally wrote Juhani to have a full romance with with the female player character, but scrapped it in the end because "there are no gay characters in Star Wars", and I forget if it was LucasArts that pulled the plug on that or Bioware. They did however leave the subtext of Juhani and her female jedi friend being a couple, and that becomes a lot more evident when the jedi friend encounters you later if you killed Juhani. I believe at the time of Kotor 1, only 2 characters in the history of the franchise were even hinted at being lgbt, and that was this Mandalorian duo that were life partners in a little known comic that nobody paid attention to. I was apart of a few Star Wars fan forums to some official capacities in some way back when, and the narrative that the Lucas mouth pieces gave on many a question was the same "there are no homosexuals in Star Wars - it is a fantasy universe." Thusly, Star Wars fan forums were also fucking breeding hives for fundamentalist conservatives who hated lgbt people and would have endless debates on the forum on if 'the Force' was actually the influence of God and Jesus Christ on this futuristic world. No, I am not joking. I had to leave the Star Wars fan community permanently after being harassed and bullied for years for being openly gay.

Sorry if that went from a side tangent, into another. I'm kind of stream of consciousness.
Maechris wrote:Personally I was actually disappointed when they experimented with characters not having personal sexual orientations, such as Dragon Age 2 making everyone Hawkesexual. As long as people don't become obsessed with it it helps flesh a character out.
I both agree as a consumer, and sorta disagree as a developer. I totally get why they make playersexual characters - it reduces costs quite a lot to have gender neutral dialogue, and makes it worth investing the money into if all players have the option. If I was in charge of an RPG team, I would probably air towards playersexual just to save resources. As a player, I totally agree - I really like when characters aren't just unrealistically bisexual and actually fit somewhere on the scale; it gives an excuse for repeated playthroughs to go other routes, it allows you to further delve into it as a character instead of generic 'romance' talk, and it does come across as a whole lot less lazy. On some games I can tolerate playersexual because it gives me options, and other times I'd rather have nothing.
Play Kindred Spirits on the Roof! Play Starlight Vega! Play Ladykiller in a Bind!

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

I think the implication here is that they didn't know he was dating both of them until after... I think.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

I don't know, their fantasy with Dio could imply they don't mind sharing boyfriends.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

*facepalm*

Well.... I think the Tempests were better off without Bobby.

As for Chastel: yay, character growth?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Error of Logic wrote:I think the Tempests were better off without Bobby.
For all we know, Bobby had Gary-level swirly skills. He certainly sounds like he was a hard worker.

However, this being Ma3, I'm now imagining that Bobby later had an epiphany concerned his own nature, and that he's now happily married to Jimmy Castroni.

I'm also now imaging the sequel to Menage a 3; a series called My Name is DiDi, in which our heroine, having finally understood what she did to all those men over the years, spends ten volumes trying to make it up to them.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Maechris

Post by Maechris »

True_Avery wrote:I did think of doing that, but honestly I never liked Bastila as a romance option. I played through the game as male once, and only once, and by the end of it I came out with a bad taste in my mouth about her character - I wont spoil it for people who've not played this 13 year old game, but I will say that near the end of the story she becomes insufferably immature and the entire "romance" feels like a 14 year old discovering her first ever crush on that cute boyband member and she just MUST wear his skin.
Just to say one word here in Bastila's defense, I actually enjoyed the way they pulled her of. From the beginning they were going for 'brash, headstrong, and emotionally younger than you'd expect', and since Jedi were supposed to be very conservative at the time (no emotion only peace love is bad yadayada), making her romance path work like that actually helped convey that message to me. Doesn't mean anyone has to like her, but plenty of romances pulled off the same tropes without the same justification in them RPG games.

Then again maybe I just considered mildly darksided female models in KOTOR hot back then. IDK.

True_Avery wrote:
Maechris wrote:I am not sure if I misunderstood your post there, but while not a fully fledged romance the only time Juhani expresses any romantic-like interest in your character is if said character is female.
From what I remember( and I may be wrong), they originally wrote Juhani to have a full romance with with the female player character, but scrapped it in the end because "there are no gay characters in Star Wars", and I forget if it was LucasArts that pulled the plug on that or Bioware. (,,,)

Lucas mouth pieces gave on many a question was the same "there are no homosexuals in Star Wars - it is a fantasy universe." Thusly, Star Wars fan forums were also fucking breeding hives for fundamentalist conservatives who hated lgbt people and would have endless debates on the forum on if 'the Force' was actually the influence of God and Jesus Christ on this futuristic world. No, I am not joking. I had to leave the Star Wars fan community permanently after being harassed and bullied for years for being openly gay.

Sorry if that went from a side tangent, into another. I'm kind of stream of consciousness.
He also apparently told Carrie Fisher there is no underwear in Space, but there obviously is, and now moviemakers claim there may be gay romances, so evidently cashing in on stuff became more important than Lucas' original view on his fantasy if that is the case. But it was probably LucasArts, given BioWare 'progressed' enough in less than two years to pump out Jade Empire which only discriminated gay couples on how quickly the camera stopped showing what is going on.
True_Avery wrote:
Maechris wrote:Personally I was actually disappointed when they experimented with characters not having personal sexual orientations, such as Dragon Age 2 making everyone Hawkesexual. As long as people don't become obsessed with it it helps flesh a character out.
I both agree as a consumer, and sorta disagree as a developer. I totally get why they make playersexual characters - it reduces costs quite a lot to have gender neutral dialogue, and makes it worth investing the money into if all players have the option. If I was in charge of an RPG team, I would probably air towards playersexual just to save resources. As a player, I totally agree - I really like when characters aren't just unrealistically bisexual and actually fit somewhere on the scale; it gives an excuse for repeated playthroughs to go other routes, it allows you to further delve into it as a character instead of generic 'romance' talk, and it does come across as a whole lot less lazy. On some games I can tolerate playersexual because it gives me options, and other times I'd rather have nothing.
Occasionally it's probably acceptable, but I just wished they made it both coherent and stable on the inside. Dragon Age 2 didn't pull that off, since Anders, a pre-established character, specifically mentioned he wants a 'girl' in the Awakening expansion to part 1. If Hawke is male, he pulls of a beautiful pansexual-indicating dialogue about falling in love with the whole person and all that, and indicates a particular character was his lover, but none of this happens if Hawke is female, just 'duh uh uh I like tittays'.

From a developing perspective it probably depends on what you're trying to convey through the game, but many would indeed go for the path of saving resources. However, sometimes going against what is expected is profitable, i.e. they managed to pull off a gay romanceable character well enough in Dragon Age 3 that some women played males to romance him, and some men actually romanced him as well despite not being reportedly gay in the slightest IRL.
More often than not people fail to see the entirety of the issue, and focus on a single facet of it. Ask yourself what makes you right before you set fire on other people for being wrong. // "Chemical reactions between the kawaii and uguu hormones.Within the Desu Gland. This is near to the upper Moe muscle."

Mordhaus

Post by Mordhaus »

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite comic on the Internet.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Grrr hiss captain hammer grrrr

GKNolan

Post by GKNolan »

Spidrift wrote:I'm also now imaging the sequel to Menage a 3; a series called My Name is DiDi, in which our heroine, having finally understood what she did to all those men over the years, spends ten volumes trying to make it up to them.
Oddly "My Name is Earl" factors into how I imagine Didi's wrestling career working out.
In one episode, Earl's brother helps their professional wrestler friend by filling in for her heel manager. Unfortunately he couldn't handle being booed, freaked out and broke character.

Quote fixed. The DAMNed