2-3-17 I will quit it for our amour

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 2-3-17 I will quit it for our amour

Post by Spidrift »

Lokitsu wrote:If I'm even close to correct, however, I might have to revise my nasty opinion of DiDi. Someone in her childhood screwed her up royally.
I'm not sure that anyone in these comics is the product of competent parenting. A lot of the cast show some signs of the opposite.
I always assumed she was a narcissist, but maybe she's just following some seriously conservative social programming.
Why not both?

Actually, though, I've never thought of DiDi as a narcissist. She's perfectly capable of displaying (rather shallow) sympathy for other people when she remembers. She's more on the comedy version of the autistic spectrum. She just can't grasp how anyone else thinks, and her attempts to do so are hilariously bunglesome. Daft conservative social assumptions are just something she can use instead of functional understanding.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Maechris

Post by Maechris »

Spidrift wrote:
Lokitsu wrote:If I'm even close to correct, however, I might have to revise my nasty opinion of DiDi. Someone in her childhood screwed her up royally.
I'm not sure that anyone in these comics is the product of competent parenting. A lot of the cast show some signs of the opposite.
I'm guessing Peggy, Eric, and Erika are the only ones with anything resembling a decent chance. *Maybe* Kiley herself. Maybe.
Lokitsu wrote: B) Lesbians are still required to follow traditional women's roles; ie: be "girly"
C) Wrestling isn't girly
D) DiDi enjoying wrestling is something to be ashamed of
E) Kiley hasn't shown any strong interest in wrestling, confirming C
It's possible this is Didi's thought process, but it's a little odd when you consider about two thirds of all female wrestlers Didi meets are lesbians (or bisexuals currently depicted in relations sexual or otherwise with women).
More often than not people fail to see the entirety of the issue, and focus on a single facet of it. Ask yourself what makes you right before you set fire on other people for being wrong. // "Chemical reactions between the kawaii and uguu hormones.Within the Desu Gland. This is near to the upper Moe muscle."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Maechris wrote:I'm guessing Peggy, Eric, and Erika are the only ones with anything resembling a decent chance. *Maybe* Kiley herself. Maybe.
Well, anyone can have issues despite parents who took a decent shot at doing the right thing. Kiley's hang-ups are proximately related to her slim figure, which isn't exactly her parents' fault; one could say that they didn't reassure her about her body quite enough, but what's quite enough? One can blame Society for that crap... Heck, Gary is one of the few to blame his parents for his problems, but (a) his problems never turned out to be half as bad as he claimed, so I'd call him an unreliable witness, and (b) the one time we heard his mother on-screen, she seemed quite nice on the limited evidence available.

To be honest, the only case where we have even semi-hard evidence of a parental bollix-up is the Larose sisters, and some people will even argue with that. (Oh, and Vyndicator's parents messed up their own marriage, which might explain why their son turned out to be a bit of a toad, and certainly produced some unhappiness in the house.) But pretty well every character we see is comedically messed up, one way or another, and while that may not always be the parents' fault, the po-faced logical implication is that the average standard of parenting in Fantasy-Montreal is a bit crap. Though as you say, Peggy's and Eric's families seem to be at the "not actual awful" end of the scale.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Yes, DiDi. It's always All or Nothing. No compromise.

I like your analysis, Lokitsu.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)