24-02-17 My queens

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Waker

Re: 24-02-17 My queens

Post by Waker »

The wrestling arc has gone on for way too long. While it is supposed to help give Didi some more depth, it just mostly wastes time with cameos of characters from other series. Make no mistake, I loved reading Eerie Cuties, but beyond the occasional background appearance I read MA3 for MA3 characters. Either focus on the relationship between Didi/Kiley and have some kind of actual plot happen or more preferably show the Gary/Zii conversation. Hell, I'd show more interest in what Eric is up to at this point.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

One of these days, I want to see a four-panel strip consisting entirely of Erik, both Jims, Adrien, and Gilbert, sitting around having brunch together in a restaurant, with no dialogue until the last panel, when one of them mutters "Can't live with them..." and another adds "...Can't live without them."
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

*sighs*

Why am I still reading this comic? Force of habit I guess.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Waker wrote:The wrestling arc has gone on for way too long.
And i disagree.
TwoWayStar wrote:I love the wrestling! I follow around 20 or so webcomics during a full week, and this is pretty interesting to me. Turns Didi's plotline from being only related to sex, to being a fully fledged PERSON with actual interests. Which is what Kiley is pushing for right now!
Exactly! It's why Didi's budding wrestling career is the storyline i'm most invested in.

Waker

Post by Waker »

While it is supposed to help give Didi some more depth, it just mostly wastes time with cameos of characters from other series.
I'm perfectly fine with the bit about joining a gym and finding an interest and all that. But instead we've been following around Cessily, Laura, Brooke, the Delacroix sisters and Dio. Instead of Didi being a wrestler, we have multiple strips being dedicated to Brooke wanting nail Didi, Tweedle Dee and Dumb being henchmen or daydreaming and a bunch of other crap that is frankly uninteresting. They could have a story where Didi pairs up with Roxie and actually interacts with these people. Instead we are reading a comic about people watching tv. I'm not complaining about wrestling being a focus in the current story arc. It's that none of the main cast of characters for MA3 are actively involved in it.

GKNolan

Post by GKNolan »

If I have an issue with the wrestling arc, it's that it involves an entirely separate cast of characters that don't interact with anybody but Didi (and now recently Kiley). It really makes the whole thing feel like an aborted spinoff comic.

On its own, it's great. I love the goofiness of it. I love a storyline that isn't strictly motivated by people's collective libidos. I feel like pro wrestling is this weird natural match for this comic.

But every time it's posted part of me thinks "Man I was hoping for an Ma3 update tonight."

Mind you, I acknowledge this probably isn't fair and I hope there is some manner of intermingled payoff down the road, but we arn't there yet.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I suspect that somebody at Pixietrix likes watching wrestling on TV, and having fallen into a story about people watching wrestling on TV, decided just to write what they know... Which is a good basic principle, but can quickly turn into laziness.

(It doesn't help that the Tempests haven't gelled as characters. Are they dumb or smart? Competent or ditzy? Rivals or sublimated-lesbian life partners? Who the hell knows? They're whatever the plot needs this panel. They make DiDi look like a deep and subtle character.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

My issue with the whole wrestling thing is that I feel like it should have been more tightly focused around Didi & Roxie, instead we've got a bunch of somewhat pointless cameos, and the Brooke, Laura & Cessily characters bringing more noise that slows down character development around Didi, Kiley & Roxie.

It's nice that people into wrestling are liking it, but for the rest of use its mostly just an odd distraction that doesn't feel like it's really going anywhere beyond fanservice.

Overall, I feel like the Pixie Trix comics have a tendency to overuse or draw out some of their gags for too long, at least to my taste.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Her name is Lynn and consideringher crush on DiDi, it is important to the plot. And the other two are Maura and Tess.
GKNolan wrote:If I have an issue with the wrestling arc, it's that it involves an entirely separate cast of characters that don't interact with anybody but Didi (and now recently Kiley).
That's hardly new, the supporting characters don't always interact with all the members of the main cast, so it's silly to complain about this instance.
Spidrift wrote:
(It doesn't help that the Tempests haven't gelled as characters. Are they dumb or smart? Competent or ditzy? Rivals or sublimated-lesbian life partners?)
We do know and yes they do.

1) They're smart when it comes to wrestling, because they have been at it longer than DiDi and thus have more experience.

2)From the strips we've seen, they seem to be straight and very close friends.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

LonestarF1 wrote:
Storm-forge mystique wrote:...how has in-universe Giz not sued yet?
Licensing is not unheard of. There was a character named Gangrel in the 90s that was actively licensed from the White Wolf series.

Maybe in-universe Giz is making mad bank off this company licensing her shit!
Now we need to get Real-Giz to do the same and have more time to draw webcomics for us instead of Archie! :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)