Spidrift

03-09-2016 Fillers: Commissions from FanExpo

Post by Spidrift »

A couple of (attractive) sketches today, from the convention:

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/comm ... _table_p20
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 03-09-2016 Fillers: Commissions from FanExpo

Post by Don Alexander »

I know I should probably say something like "Cute!" and leave it at that but I've wondered: who has the right to post such commissions. Does the artist always have the right to digitally reproduce such work, or can the person asking for the commission be all "Mine! No one else gets to see it evvvvveeeerrrr!" *diabolic laughter*
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Fair question. Inquiring minds want to know.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

suranae

Post by suranae »

Depend on the law of the land or country the con is held in.

Generally the purchaser is understood to have all rights concerning the piece except the right for commercial reproduction. the artist Does hold on to the right to include the finished piece in their portfolio, digital or otherwise. there are a lot of reasons for such an arrangement to occur; such as a request for custom fan art, or the commissioner has requested art of a character they made up entirely.