FAQ (aka where have all the nipples gone to?)

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

supremz

Re: FAQ (aka where have all the nipples gone to?)

Post by supremz »

Everyone has been asking why the comic is censored, and we got an answer. A creator's freedom to make whatever they want without being told what to do is just as important as any other right. If the ads are basically saying "remove the nipples or we won't pay you" that's not a reason to abandon the comic altogether. They have the choice to do otherwise. With that said, demanding even more of an explanation from dave and giz is super selfish and also a violation of their personal lives outside of what they do. I can't believe I even have to explain any of this. It should be common sense. If they have enough pressure from the business side of things, the last thing they need is even more from their fans.

You're basically proving my point. If I have no right to criticize, then surely it's even worse for you to tell someone what to do with their work, whether you pay them for it or not.
HEY LOOK APPARENTLY CANADA HAS FASCISM TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://8ch.net/fringe/res/76453.html#76485

suranae

Post by suranae »

I'm not entirely sure you understand how the internet actually works. All of this costs something to do. The servers, the RSS feed all of it. It has to be paid for somehow. The way pixie Trix comics LLC does so is by as revenue. Those as networks have rules so they don't piss off everyone else and can continue to operate.

It's not bullying when you sign a contract. I'd love to have the nipples back in the strip but doing so would leave them with no money to live or update.

supremz

Post by supremz »

suranae wrote:Those as networks have rules so they don't piss off everyone else and can continue to operate.

It's not bullying when you sign a contract.
You contradicted yourself there.

And the internet was not always censored. Do I need to point out the irony of how webcomics started as a new and popular format to replace the old print medium that was becoming heavily outdated with pop culture gimmicks and overly wasteful to make? The Boondocks got in trouble because it made jokes about 9/11. Now the same thing is happening here, but with nipples (and probably anything else they want to bitch about.) There's a second irony here: that the series is about sex, but isn't allowed to show any of it.

I said art and money are two different things and they should stay that way. I should also make it clear that I don't think an artist can be separated from their creation. It is like their child. No matter what you do to make it seem otherwise, it will always be theirs. Because they decided to make money, nobody but them will know what they originally had in mind unless they do it.

Ma3 not so much, but EC and other series have been illustrated by multiple artists. If you want the uncensored scenes so badly, you can commission someone to do it. The issue is not with the scenes or how they are conveyed. The problem lies in being able to do what you want. Nothing can stop Giz from drawing nipples and putting them on the internet, but they can be coerced into thinking otherwise.

I don't fault them as people for making this mistake, but it's not something that should be easily forgiven, either. It started as their comic and it should be their comic. It is a work of art, not a business. If you are reading Ménage a 3 and thinking it is a business then you are not a fan. You're a sociopath.

suranae

Post by suranae »

This is getting annoying... Really it is. Gisele & David have signed legal binding papers with terms that affiliate them with a network that feed them ads. Without ads there is no MA3 or Erie cuties or any other work they produce.

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't share your sentiment. If fact I'be seen both sides of this coin.

supremz

Post by supremz »

Then none of this should come as a surprise. Everybody knows the whole point of licensing entertainment is so you can get fucked. There is no need to sign anything if you believe in what you do.

suranae

Post by suranae »

I know you are barking up the wrong tree. The internet has always been censored to some degree or another.

It is not public domain. it is the property of the united states government and it's contractors.

Web comics and traditional funny books are not art, high or otherwise.

supremz

Post by supremz »

I'm sorry, but where is your proof that the United States Government owns the internet? You mean they try to influence it to their wishes, right? Do you work for them or something? Why would you care what is posted on the internet even if it was theirs? That would be quite a feat to accomplish considering how many other countries there are around the world that also connect to the internet and contribute to it in their own way, let alone all the satellites and the data that is being broadcasted from space. Does that mean someone from Canada with their own site and webcomic have to follow American laws if they advertise with foreign businesses?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't your Declaration of Independence state that it is the right of the people to select to be governed or not, and to appoint its own guards? The same people who signed that paper also believed they owned the land that rightfully belonged to the native tribes who were murdered for the sake of "property".

But it's not true. The US government does not own the world, and I don't think an advertising firm owns a webcomic, either (OH, THE IRONY!). It belongs to Giselle, Dave, and T. Campbell because they made it, and they get to decide what to do with it. This is not a legal issue. Laws are more malleable than the html that holds these forums together. There is absolutely nothing anyone can say or do to make you do anything you don't want to do unless you let them. Q.E.D.

suranae

Post by suranae »

No I mean what I said exactly. D.a.r.p.a an American gov agency drew up & implemented the networks that became the internet. Backbone one & two that serve out the network are on US soil. American corps provide all the major services on the web.
I.c.a.n.n. the agency that assigns web addresses & resolves them into site names is a function of the US dept of commerce and is overseen by the States.

The declaration of independence is a fancy middle finger to British Empire. It does not guide the republic, the constitution does.

What the US & British govs Don't tell anyone is that they could shut entire continents off the net if they wanted to.

T Campbell is an American citizen. Gisele & Dave are not Canadian citizens they are subjects of the British crown.

I'm not entirely sure you have a clear idea about how the internet works or it's history. It costs a lot of money to operate on. Ads is how pixie Trix makes money. The ad networks have rules you sign contracts saying you'll follow to get money.

Also MA3 is a romantic comedy not a sex comedy.

supremz

Post by supremz »

Last edited by supremz on Fri May 20, 2016 8:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

suranae

Post by suranae »

No, D.A.R.P.A built the early net. A feat so pimp it gets its own shout out in the metal gear video game series.

If you doubt me check the encyclopedia

supremz

Post by supremz »

I'm more wondering why you post on these forums if your entire goal is to suck the life out of the comics they're based on. I mean, defending the advertisers, internet censorship, and the US government all at once when it would be way easier to just say "yeah. the comic rules. let's do something fun with it."

suranae

Post by suranae »

The comic is not being censored. Censorship requires government intervention for a moral or political cause. The pixie Trix crew need to earn a living so they stopped showing nipples. You whole comics are art & they should never compromise argument is bullshit.

Comics have never been art. They have always been a business. Why you seem to want Giz to starve is beyond me.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

suranae wrote:No, D.A.R.P.A built the early net.
Actually, it was called ARPA back then, so it was the ARPAnet. :-B

Anyway, speaking of sucking life out of things, this whole discussion could have been done via PM. /:)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

supremz

Post by supremz »

GOMEN NASAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!

But I am really glad that others can see it, because they are all very important points.

Suranae, I'm not sure if it could ever get through to you that an artist should never compromise their creativity or be forced to change with the promise of some incentive, but I never asked them to starve. I never asked them to do anything. That's the difference between me and you, and I would never expect anything less from a friend.

suranae

Post by suranae »

Who said they compromised to make this strip? Your rants don't help Giz make money she needs to eat.