Ask Gisele and Dave Questions Here

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Mizure

Re: Ask Gisele and Dave Questions Here

Post by Mizure »

Sup. I don't really do the whole forum thing, so this will probably be my one and only post here. ^^; I've come to ask the obligatory stupid question: Is it "Menage a Trois" or "Menage a Three"?

...what? Numbers in titles always trip me up. :P

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

It's Ménage à trois... but feel free to call it what you want ;)

sebastian

Post by sebastian »

Dave Zero1 wrote:
Annikin wrote:Also, Ms. Legace, where do you find the time to do three comics and have them all update on time?
I'm a little sketchy on the details, but I believe cloning is involved. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Now, clones of (web)artists, that would be a great idea for merchandise. :D :)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

sebastian wrote:
Dave Zero1 wrote:I'm a little sketchy on the details, but I believe cloning is involved. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Now, clones of (web)artists, that would be a great idea for merchandise. :D :)
I'll place my pre-order for the Giselle clone now :D ;)

Hmm.. question.... Soo, who influences your style and your comedy, or is it completely self inspired?

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Bear wrote:Hmm.. question.... Soo, who influences your style and your comedy, or is it completely self inspired?
I can't speak for Dave but I do know we both enjoyed Rumiko Takahashi over the years in regards to humor. Another, more recent one, is Yasuhiro Kano which we also both enjoy.

I've always enjoyed the humor of Makoto Kobayashi of What's Michael. Le petit Spirou by Tome and Janry is another classic for me. There are more I could name I'm sure but these are the ones that come to mind right now :)

Art wise, Dan DeCarlo, Franquin, Uderzo, Herge, Rumiko Takahashi, Jim Davis, Lynn Johnston, J Scott Campbell, and the list goes on...

DA_KLOWN

Post by DA_KLOWN »

Hey, found the comic about a week ago and I loves it.

I was quick to note the Dan DeCarlo Archie influence, and it looks fantastic!

This question isn't so much about the comic itself but more about webcomics in general:

I'm considering starting one up, later this year, and I was wondering if you ahve any pointers? About updates, best host sites, and things like that. I know this varies from comic to comic, but about how long does it take you to draw your strips? Any extra tips and tricks would be much appreciated! Lovin' the comic!

Oh, and how often do you update? I may have just missed it, but I can't seem to find that...

anne_O_nymous

Post by anne_O_nymous »

Is this apartment supposed to be a two-bedroom or a three-bedroom?

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

DA_KLOWN wrote:I'm considering starting one up, later this year, and I was wondering if you ahve any pointers? About updates, best host sites, and things like that. I know this varies from comic to comic, but about how long does it take you to draw your strips? Any extra tips and tricks would be much appreciated! Lovin' the comic! Oh, and how often do you update? I may have just missed it, but I can't seem to find that...
Hi, DA_KLOWN. Glad you're enjoying the comic :)

I'd recommend http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Webcomic ... 158240870X for the ins and outs of making webcomics. The basics are, if you say you update 3 times a week, you update 3 times a week. People like consistency. If you can't update, find guest strips as much as possible. Don't post your first strip. Have a buffer before you start. Let's say at least 12 strips done before posting your first one. There are many hosting places like HostMonster where you can get cheap hosting for like $6 or so a month. Other than that, you can use ComicGenesis for free hosting. That's what I'd recommend for starters but that's up to you. Comic Genesis will provide you with an archiving system, otherwise, get Comicpress (works with Wordpress.)

Takes me an average of 6 hours per strip. Sometimes a bit less (rarely) and sometimes more (which will happen if there's lots of people in a strip - I go by head count) but 6 hours is my average. That's including pencilling, inking, lettering and shading. The writing part I'm not counting here.

Menage a 3 updates every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday :)

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

anne_O_nymous wrote:Is this apartment supposed to be a two-bedroom or a three-bedroom?
You'll soon find out :)

Istarbel

Post by Istarbel »

Hi Gisele and Dave:

I love the Comic. It is the first Webcomic I ever read from the beginning and it is a very interesting experience. Gisele I love Penny and Aggie which is how I found Menage a 3. I have really enjoyed your other comic suggestion. So my question is DO you have any more? Also do you have a planned number of chapters or arcs for Menage a 3? if so how many?

Thank you so much for the wonderful source of procrastinating material,

Istarbel

DA_KLOWN

Post by DA_KLOWN »

Thanks a bunch for the tips! That was very helpful. Looking forward to keeping up with the rest of the comic.

Gibby

Post by Gibby »

I have done 2 prior to this and I'm still working on them as we speak: http://www.coolcatstudio.com and http://www.pennyandaggie.com Cool Cat Studio I created way back in 2000, stopped in 2002 and rebooted it in 2007. I draw all of it but only wrote the first year or so until T Campbell joined me to write the series. Penny and Aggie is a co-creation with T Campbell for which I draw and he writes.
Jeremy and Gary are quite alike :p
I love your characters, the way you draw them and give them life. I also like the fact you're not censoring your comics, visually and verbally... wordilly... whatever XD. It makes for a strong story and a good realism.

Hi-five Dave, if you're reading this. Replying to two posts would be time-spending :lol:

P.S. I'm happy to see some people are actually learning French, and are fluent in both. Cheers on this.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Istarbel wrote:Hi Gisele and Dave:

I love the Comic. It is the first Webcomic I ever read from the beginning and it is a very interesting experience. Gisele I love Penny and Aggie which is how I found Menage a 3. I have really enjoyed your other comic suggestion. So my question is DO you have any more? Also do you have a planned number of chapters or arcs for Menage a 3? if so how many?

Thank you so much for the wonderful source of procrastinating material,

Istarbel
Hi, Istarbel. Glad you're enjoying Ma3 and P&A :)
By comic suggestions, I'm assuming you're talking about the links on the Ma3 homepage and the links in the links page of P&A? If so, those are the ones that I check out once in a while. Some more than others. Dave reads more than I do. I'm just too busy drawing comics ;) Maybe Dave can give more suggestions. Dave?

As for Ma3 planning. We easily have a years worth if not more of ideas. We're not thinking of an ending right now so this could go on for a long time if people enjoy it :)

IronOxide

Post by IronOxide »

I just finshed reading the pages currently up and I must say I love it. Now before I start on tangent, how did you come up with your characters? Did you come up with their personality first or did you make a deisign and go from there?

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

IronOxide wrote:I just finshed reading the pages currently up and I must say I love it. Now before I start on tangent, how did you come up with your characters? Did you come up with their personality first or did you make a deisign and go from there?
Glad you're enjoying, IronOxide!

I could see them in my mind and explained it to Dave (and him being visual too, could see them as well.) We went with that and wrote a few scripts but the whole thing came to life once I drew the characters down. It reinforced certain things and even made us change the scripts to fit these characters. I think it was instant love for Dave when he saw my first sketch of Zii. The funniest thing is DiDi, I drew her and he told me "boobs aren't big enough." So I drew them bigger and we came to an agreement in regards to size. However, once I started to actually draw the strip, they grew even more :lol: