24-06-10 Me? Hurt you?

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Ruggedo

Re: 24-06-10 Me? Hurt you?

Post by Ruggedo »

Wonderful strip and I'm happy with this development! I'm so proud of Zii too! :-bd :(( Now that's the kind of Zii/Gary interaction I like to see!

Pinekone

Post by Pinekone »

phpBB should make a special code that warns you about a TVTropes link, Because I wasted so many precious hours I could of been using to take care of my begonias. :3
pink wrote: Just had a mental image of Charlie Brown with Didi's tits.

BobDole

Post by BobDole »

Ruggedo wrote:Now that's the kind of Zii/Gary interaction I like to see!
Talking together in the bathroom while he's naked in the shower? ;)

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Pinekone wrote:phpBB should make a special code that warns you about a TVTropes link, Because I wasted so many precious hours I could of been using to take care of my begonias. :3
It's all part of my ebil plan to destroy all begonias... And if I gotta waste all my time there, then so shall you!!! 8-}
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Kiggy

Post by Kiggy »

Gary doesn't look half bad without his glasses. :-B :-?
A Jersey Devil, a Mothman, and a Chupacabra walk into a bar. . .

Weltall84

Post by Weltall84 »

I had to say I smiled myself at this strip as it was both funny, (the lampshade about comic time to RL is always a funny comic in-joke to me) and it was good to see neither Zii or Gary's takes on their discussion were cheapened or just "allowed to slide".

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

you know, sometimes i get the funny feeling that dave and giz actually read this forum and care about what their audience thinks. i'm probably just imagining things though.
Yet still, I live...

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

While I don't think they'll ever let us force their hand in any major plot areas, I do think they do pay attention. Mainly, I've noticed at least twice where a character was getting some serious negative views, only to have them show a better side. The one that comes to mind first is Layla, who was shown to actually have some feelings for Kade, and even held up her end of the bargin. And now Zii is showing some realization of what her actions have meant to others. Of course, I think that there was a bit of that when she was standing nekkid outside the door after the 'date' the waitress and her bf crashed so suddenly.

It is quite possible for a character to have a likeable nature, despite having some serious shortcomings. Unfortunately, sometimes that is hard to come across in fiction well. One advantage a webcomic with an active forum like we have here is, the writers can see where our perceptions don't meet with what they were trying to present, and can make adjustments. Of course, this can result in what appears to be 'asspulls', or even minorly jarring charactisation shifts, but that is the hazard of writing fiction.

IvanGroznyIV

Post by IvanGroznyIV »

'J' wrote:you know, sometimes i get the funny feeling that dave and giz actually read this forum and care about what their audience thinks. i'm probably just imagining things though.
You could probably have guessed that from those times giz has replied to people. ;)

If I were the author of a web comic, or really any creative work published in little snippets like this, I'd find checking out the responses of the audience to whatever is going on difficult to resist. I think there has to be a balance struck: you don't want to be beholden to the audience, since it's your story to tell in the way you want to tell it, but at the same time I think every audience appreciates being acknowledged. It's good to throw a scrap or two to the more vocal fans every now and then. :)

As well, as mentioned by Ravenhull above, there can be times when a writer is trying to make people respond to a character in a certain way (love, like, dislike, hate, anywhere along the spectrum), and if the audience is responding in the opposite way to what they intended, it's good to know it before the situation becomes unsalvageable and tweak things accordingly. I ended up liking Zii a lot more after this strip, though I'm certain she'll still have a number of people who can't stand her.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Since everyone has already weighed in in the "lampshade" discussion, I'll talk about something else completely...

Soooooo, actually, Zii and Yuki are still a couple??? Like, officially?? Wow! I mean talk about Zii not being able to say NO!!!

And, yes, I did read the "Well, to Yuki..." I'm still puzzled. It's not that hard to make it unmistably clear to someone that it's over, out, fini, Schluß, Aus, Ende.

Also: Ravenhull = Vampire, Pinekone = Werewolf! :))

@Kiggy: Oh, we knew that before... And a lot of people don't mind the glasses.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Blissfull Wulf

Post by Blissfull Wulf »

*Cue Zii falling and pulling shower curtain with her.* :ymdevil:

Ravenhull wrote:
Pinekone wrote:phpBB should make a special code that warns you about a TVTropes link, Because I wasted so many precious hours I could of been using to take care of my begonias. :3
It's all part of my ebil plan to destroy all begonias... And if I gotta waste all my time there, then so shall you!!! 8-}
Both my brother and a friend from real life get stuck on TVT quite often, which I don't understand since a simple mouse over will tell you that something links to TVT.

PLEASE NOTE: Thor can't read this.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

You mean it hasn't been two years? :-o

My time paradox machine must have worked! :p

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Blissfull Wulf wrote:*Cue Zii falling and pulling shower curtain with her.* :ymdevil:
Better yet, cue Yuki arriving, hearing Zii's voice, and tackle glomping her causing all to land in the shower... then DiDi shows up for even more chaos...

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

You learn something new every day. Lampshade! :)

Blissfull Wulf

Post by Blissfull Wulf »

Ravenhull wrote:
Blissfull Wulf wrote:*Cue Zii falling and pulling shower curtain with her.* :ymdevil:
Better yet, cue Yuki arriving, hearing Zii's voice, and tackle glomping her causing all to land in the shower... then DiDi shows up for even more chaos...
I'd call rampaging Yuki chaos enough for anyone's day.

PLEASE NOTE: Thor can't read this.