30-09-08 You heard the tiny angel

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Pfhreak

Re: 30-09-08 Bondage angel

Post by Pfhreak »

Gil Hamilton wrote:If violence in self-defense is justified, and no one is contesting that, then clearly something wrong is happening, wouldn't you think?
It's not "self-defense" to the degree of defending against grievous harm or trauma, but to the degree normal to childish horseplay. If someone tickles you, you're going to slap their hands away. If someone mischievously tries taking something away from you, a friendly wrestling match will probably result.
Gil Hamilton wrote:He probably isn't OK with it, but he's probably not going to press the issue. It is clearly unwanted physical contact of a sexual nature. What I'm arguing is that if the issue was pressed, it would certainly be deemed sexual harassment AT MINIMUM legally. That's why all the people flipping out and saying "It's not sexual assault! It's comedy!" probably should cork themselves, because they don't have a leg to stand on. People like the comic, so they automatically come to its defense, even when the criticism against it is factually correct.

In my opinion, it should be framed within the context of a comic, and while Zii is clearly an obnoxious human being and Dillon probably could stand to be slugged, physical comedy is what it is. However, people who would say "that's sexual assault!" aren't wrong and those coming out of the wood work to piss and moan at them for being buzzkills can't really talk.
It seems that we're talking past each other. You're arguing from an almost purely legal standpoint, and I'm not arguing the legalities at all, as IANAL. Maybe this is technically assault in the eyes of the law, maybe not. The legal technicalities are irrelevant unless Gary reports it, which he's not going to do if he's a typical male as he wouldn't see this as unwanted sexual contact. That's why people are coming out in defense of this: calling this "sexual assault" is over-reacting unless the victim finds it traumatic.

I don't see any greater degree of sexuality in this than in a tickle fight or similar horseplay. That it involves removing clothing doesn't make a difference as it's clothing that covers a non-sexualized area. Wrestling off a friend's shoe wouldn't be sexual assault, why should wrestling off a man's shirt?
The wall of separation between church and state is a good start, but let's put in a minefield, too.

SaBomJon

Post by SaBomJon »

Gary needs to swat Dillon upside the head, maybe THEN he'll actually pay attention to the fact that his actions are unwanted. If not a simple strike, one hell of a shove into the bushes might put a damper on him, (or perhaps a push into traffic, but that's just wishful thinking on my part. :twisted: ).

Gary has been pushed around WAY too much here, and something has to give. The way things stand, this will not be pretty, regardless of outcome. Either a certain someone will be bounced out on her cute little butt and told to find housing elsewhere, or a certain annoying character will be served a restraining order.

C'mon, we can't just expect Gary to roll over and simply take all this garbage with a grin over and over, right? It makes for a dull story over time, and loses quite a bit of the spark of real-world common sense that the reader comes to expect. Please Gisele, Dave, put one of these little yahoos in their place!
"Try not! DO, or do not.....there is no 'try'!"

www.sa-bomjimcomic.com

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

MerchManDan wrote:I say again, Turtle, you might be taking this a bit too seriously. I'm certainly not dismissing the seriousness of sexual assault in general, but in the context of this comic, it hardly defines what's happening.

Yeah Turtle guy, why so serious? :P
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

I think that todays strip answers the fact that not even the characters think is sexual assault and its just horseplay and goofing around.

Complainers and Scare Moungers 0 - Commen Sense and Fun 1.

MerchManDan
Nerd-At-Large (Mostly Harmless)

Post by MerchManDan »

Azrael wrote: Yeah Turtle guy, why so serious? :P
Let's put a SMILE on that FACE!!! :twisted:
Operator of The Penultimate Darkness Pit: Gift Store of the Cavey Cave of Elderly Elders
Exclusive and Singular Seller of The OmniFork!
Fen wrote:Because sometimes one cult is not enough.
Another helpful emoticon: Image Courtesy of yiraheerai