21-03-19 Compromise is possible

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

raoullefere

Re: 21-03-19 Compromise is possible

Post by raoullefere »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:02 am
Not sure where anyone could get “deliberately trying to hurt Gary” from Peggy’s actions...
Great Ceiling Cat! We agree on something! Runs to check hell-thermometer

For me, it's never been about Peggy deliberately trying to do anything other than avoid engaging her brain,* which is finally ending in this strip as we see the mental gears begin to mesh once more. What I've said is she's being unfair to Gary, which is not the same thing. Even not respecting him isn't the same thing as hurting Gary. If that happens, will be an unintentional ripple effect.

Whether or not that's worse than deliberately setting out to hurt Gary or to sabotage their relationship is another matter.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Oh boy if Peggy does walk in on Gary but he's with another woman this forum is gonna explode. Maybe that's what the creative team has planned all along. That would be hilarious.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

raoullefere wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:44 pm
What I've said is she's being unfair to Gary, which is not the same thing. Even not respecting him isn't the same thing as hurting Gary. If that happens, will be an unintentional ripple effect.

Whether or not that's worse than deliberately setting out to hurt Gary or to sabotage their relationship is another matter.
If she doesn't actually hurt him, then it's obviously no way as bad as trying to do so. If she hurts him accidentally, well, that's a consequence of her acting unusually foolishly (for her), which is sad, but meh - the whole point of this sequence is that she's only human and she makes mistakes like anyone else. (My own guess is that he'll be a little unhappy if he finds out about this evening's silliness, because he clearly does have more feelings for her than he's quite admitted, even to himself. But he's Gary the former human sponge turned nice guy, and a broad-minded character in a broad-minded sex comedy; he'll get over it soon enough.) If she hurts him and then either fails to notice or fails to try to make amends, well, I'll wonder what's happened to the old Peggy -- but I doubt that'll happen.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:09 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:21 am
Anyway, I wonder where this is taking place?
I'm sure that Matt's place has more than one room. (In fact, we know that it has.) And Matt and Yuki were going at it in the lounge, which faces the front door. So I assume that these two have borrowed the bedroom.
I don't doubt that fact, but I guess the proximity to the door in the previous strip made it seem possible that they went somewhere else.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I don't feel like scrubbing through a couple of pages of commentary, so apologies if this has already been addressed:
I don't think people are "hating" Peggy, well, a few probably are, but the point is that even if they say "hate" I think it is more likely that they are merely disappointed, which is so strong that it manifests as what seems like anger or hate. Peggy was the lone island of reason that weathered and sometimes joined others in their insanity, but she had never drifted so far for her own selfish irrational purposes before, at least, not the point of coming across as almost spiteful.

Since some seem to like attaching Freudian or whatever analysis to readers, I'll similarly indulge: seeing Peggy so unreasonably annoyed at others for believing she and Gary make a good couple, as well as her overt fear of any form of monogamy throughout the arc, are to some readers as it is for children when they discover their parents are only human.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

No, sorry; people have actually said that they hate Peggy. Case in point:
Maniax wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:03 am
Aaaand it finally happened, I'm sorry but I downright hate Peggy now.
...and I can only respond to what people say. If they don’t mean it, they shouldn’t use words like “hate” (or “as unlikable as possible”). I’m not arguing with people who are sad; I’m trying to talk to people who say they hate her.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.