21-03-19 Compromise is possible

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 21-03-19 Compromise is possible

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:59 am
Peggy's about-face seems a little awkward, considering how much she was wanting some sex with someone other than Gary.
But she wanted that sex to take her mind off Gary. She was explicit about that, and always doing a piss-poor job of evading the issue. Now the denial has finally snapped entirely — and the joke is that it’s done so at the exact moment that she’s right up in Adrien’s business. (Which, yes, is very awkward, ha ha ha.)
I don't hate Peggy for her actions, but rather, find it sad.
As I specifically said in the first place, “sad” I can entirely understand. (Actually, I’ll probably agree with it in my melancholy moments.) But we weren’t talking about “sad”.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

leann123

Post by leann123 »

Peggy is not good for Gary.

Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 »

Yaaay communication :D She really is the most mature main character, isn't she.
Yeah she was kinda immature here, trying to rush a quick lay to test out her feelings, but hey - it worked! A moment of weakness makes the character a lot more real.

And she didn't hurt or betray anyone in the process, so I count the whole thing as an impetuous win.
leann123 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:51 pm
Peggy is not good for Gary.
I honestly don't understand why people think this (without making a bunch of assumptions about said people), so if you want to explain then I'll listen!

raoullefere

Post by raoullefere »

Sigh Peggy, Peggy, Peggy…

You're starting to fit right in. rimshot

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Rolan7 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:21 pm
I honestly don't understand why people think this (without making a bunch of assumptions about said people), so if you want to explain then I'll listen!
You're wasting your time. Haters gonna hate.

And I won't mind if Gary ends up with Peggy as long as he's okay with continuing a casual and open relationship with her. But if he's not okay with it then he needs to move on and find a woman that also wants a monogamous relationship. But the problem with that is none of the women in Gary's life want a monogamous relationship with him. The closest he got was with Yuki but now she's with Matt and Gary doesn't seem interested in a relationship with Yuki anymore anyway. Kiley could have been a second possibility but she was quickly dropped as a potential girlfriend for Gary. The same could be said for Amber.

Now to wait five days again to see how this pans out. It's probably going to be late April before it all wraps up then maybe we'll get a preview of the creative team's next project that's also set in the Ma3verse.

sparky

Post by sparky »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:59 am
Either way, that jacket has got to go. Talking about other guys during sex and outer wear have to be breaking etiquette. ;)
But...
But...
Then we'd see nipples! That would be obscene!!!! :D

KaedeKisaragi

Post by KaedeKisaragi »

This whole debate of "Are/are not a relationship" reminds me of Ross/Rachel's "break" LMAO

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

I don't really see a problem with this. Other than ignoring her current partner over all.
I mean.. it is quite a factoid that humans think far better after some sort of sexual release. So she's starting to think clearer now that she's getting her preverbial rocks off.

I personally still hope for the "single and growing" ending for various folks.

I would take a returned "normalized" (for her) Kiley and Gary implied dating situation though.
but I' m also quite okay with Kiley staying away and presumably happier than the complicated yarn ball of relationships the cast has.
=======
Relatively certain this is probably in the back room of that place. I don't think they would have taken an uber back to that guy's place considering he just arrived.
and I don't see her bringing him back to her place.
and I think she's still sorta open to the idea of yuki and matt if it happens to get messy considering she was talkinga bout foursomes with them.

RantingRodent

Post by RantingRodent »

All of this ties into Gary's character development perfectly. This whole sequence is the result of Gary being clear and open about his feelings and stating what he wants, and it caused another character, one of the most self-assured and confident in the cast, to have a Gary-style crisis where they couldn't see their own agency in the situation and weren't communicating like they should. In terms of creating an ending for Gary that shows his development on his one huge failing, this is great.

Regardless of who he does or doesn't end up with in the end, he'll be in a situation of his choosing. That's a pretty big deal.

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

I suspect some of the bad feelings about Peggy comes from people caring about Gary, and wanting to see him happy and in love. The other two core characters are there. Many of the supporting characters are there. Her current behavior could, possibly, lead to that not happening for him. With the strip (not necessarily the story) ending soon, it's possible that people see an unhappy ending for Gary... and people like happy endings. No happy ending = negative feelings for some. Of course, we're not at the ending yet, so it's not very fair to get ragey now. Maybe have a little faith? :D

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

My thoughts on the current arc:

Well, right in these two strips (here and here), Gary was rather open about his feelings towards Peggy. Yes, I guess one could object and say "man, he didn't tell her he loves her", but I think we can all agree that both we, the readers, and Peggy got the message: Gary does love Peggy.

Also, I think Gary has grown as a character, and his feelings towards Peggy are deeper than his feelings for Kiley, Sonya, Yuki, Zii, or DiDi. In fact... I have a hunch that, if the next strip shows Peggy going back to the apartment, it's a bit unlikely that she'll find him in any sort of sexual situation with the aforementioned girls, or any other character, for that matter. On another note, I can't hold Peggy's drunken attempt to get some no-strings-attached action against her. I've seen stuff like that before (in the real world), and I've grown past judging people for it. She felt stressed, she felt out of her depth, and she thought this would help her sort her feelings and thoughts out. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the Matt/Yuki pairing: yes, I know Matt is a character we all love to hate, but let's give the Devil his due: for all his failings, including his competitive fixation on Gary, he's helped him understand himself (remember the encounter with Senna?), he helped Yuki deal with the trauma her dad caused her, and both he and Yuki are happy with what they've got together.

As far as Kiley is concerned, while she's a very amiable character, she's been away for a long time, so I think seeing her back in the comic in any capacity would come with many questions as to her development, and I'm not sure there are enough strips left for a catch-up. Also, I don't think it's in Gary's character right now to just jump from Peggy to her in an instant. Additionally, there are a few irresponsible and immature (probably in fitting with the whole comic's characters) elements about her: remember the "I found my crazy for my thesis" thing?

Anyway, the way I see it, I think the "Gary & Peggy are single & growing" and "Gary & Peggy go heart-to-heart" outcomes are more likely than not.
FIRRIB

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

Once again I fail to comprehend Peggy's predilection for pegging. This panel clearly shows she does not get enough physical stimulation out of it to even distract her from her internal (spilling out to external) monologue. And this is with her "brand new" strap on no less.

So it clearly has to be a cerebral thing, and she was compelled enough to hook up with some guy who she doesn't know who would respond to a literal booty call for someone he doesn't know. Did she really expect to get some satisfaction out of that?

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

Fereshte wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:31 pm
From what I can see, it’s from a demographic that feels “women having casual sex is bad!” and that she’s dirtied in some way for having or enjoying casual sex. She’s literally doing nothing wrong, but some people just can’t stand it when a woman has unattached sex.

This is quite the leap in logic. From what I've been reading over the course of this arc, the casual sex isn't the issue. It's the normally very level headed and rational Peggy acting out of character that has most people upset, annoyed or frustrated. Or the interpretation that she's doing what she's doing specifically to hurt Gary and damage any form of relationship she might have with him as some misguided form of emotional self defense. It's not what she's doing, it's why she's doing it.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Not sure where anyone could get “deliberately trying to hurt Gary” from Peggy’s actions...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Yeah, that's beyond me, too.
FIRRIB