21-09-17 And you believed her

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 21-09-17 And you believed her

Post by Spidrift »

If I feel really obliged, I flail about with the character name tags and a working memory of the order of events in the comic. But gods, yes, a working archive (with that nifty drop-down titles box) would be nice to have back.

What with that, and the discovery that trying to ban one person causes everyone to get banned, this looks like one of those system "upgrades" that just wasn't.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

uzivatel

Post by uzivatel »

rogermart wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:54 pm
It was really convenient:

http://www.ma3comic.com/comics/mat20120517.png

I didn't believe her for a long time until i saw this strip:

http://www.ma3comic.com/comics/mat20120630.png

So your hypotesis is valid...
Despite no doubt training hard, she did miss some notes:
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Great_presence

(Zii learned bass? depending on how good she is, that could make things much easier for her)

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:38 am
Well caught. Right. And shoulder angels and devils in this comic are an unreliable bunch at the best of times, prone to conspiring with each other and sneaking off for make-out sessions.
In all fairness, the characters seem to ignore them a lot of the time. No wonder they started doing their own thing. :p

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

uzivatel wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:42 am
(Zii learned bass? depending on how good she is, that could make things much easier for her)
Yeah, Zii could switch to bass and put Izz or someone on lead. But that still means that they've wasted a lot of the rehearsal time they've previously put in, and traded a decent bassist/backing vocalist for a very erratic lead guitarist. (And Zii may have to swallow the cost of a new bass guitar.) Losing Sonya will hit the band hard, whatever happens.

Alternate toned-down version of my wacky theory, by the way; Sonya actually studied classical double bass in her schooldays, and was considered quite promising before she was distracted by boys. So when she saw a chance to get close to Zii, she went out and bought that bass guitar and practised like crazy; the skills are, I understand, broadly transferrable.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Antinerd wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:56 am
Gary the doormat. What all three girls (S, Z, D) need is a lecture, a good bare bottomed spanking, then another lecture. After that each would have to complete assignments involving personal interactions with the other two.
Of course Gary could never pull that off.
*sigh* There's that male brain thing again.

Yeah, because violence against women is always the solution. Way to go, dude. That's what we need here: a strong man to beat the shit out of these unruly girls and then give them a good dressing down when they are too cowed to talk back. That will totally knock the nonsense out of them and teach them who's boss. They will be obeying your every whim and completing assignments for you in no time.

Good thing you dudebros are around to share such pearls of wisdom with us all.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:03 pm
If Sonya is quitting the band, I see no reason for her to try to steal away the others to form her own band... other than for spite. Some would argue that doing such is reason enough. I think that Sonya is done with Zii's interests, for the most part, at least as long as Didi is around. I honestly don't know what to expect from Sonya, or if this is the beginning of her Ma3-exit.
The ball is in Yuki's court now.

Sonya never had the slightest interest in joining a band until she found she could spend more time with Zii if she did. Now that she's done with Zii, it should be a given that she's done with the musical act too. Whatever Yuki does now will be the deciding factor. When she finds out what happened, what will she do, side with Zii or with Sonya? Will she (the most likely choice) tell Zii they should audition for another bassist, or will she (against all odds) tell Sonya they should replace Zii with Izzy and take their chances?

Unless Yuki does something drastic to make Sonya stay in the comic, then yes, this is probably Sonya's exit. Like, that cab will take her to New Brunswick, and she will start a new career as a comic artist or something.

And then, volume 10 will be all about tying loose ends for other characters.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Vitocap wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:03 pm
Sonya never had the slightest interest in joining a band until she found she could spend more time with Zii if she did.
We don't actually know what her position was on music before the conversation with Erik. Sure, she doesn't seem to have had many thoughts on the subject, but if she had previously learned bass, she presumably had at least a passing interest. And since then, she's found that she's a competent musician - good enough to be part of a successful stage act - and made some new friends in the process. And I'd bet you good money that she really enjoys the attention she gets on stage. Whatever her past ideas on the subject, I think she'd be quite likely to look at an alternative band position now.
Vitocap wrote:
Now that she's done with Zii, it should be a given that she's done with the musical act too.
Well, yes, as Peggy just said, it's hardly surprising that she's declared herself done with that band. I'd find it equally unsurprising if she decided to stick with music, or was easily persuaded to.
Vitocap wrote:
Whatever Yuki does now will be the deciding factor. When she finds out what happened, what will she do, side with Zii or with Sonya? Will she (the most likely choice) tell Zii they should audition for another bassist, or will she (against all odds) tell Sonya they should replace Zii with Izzy and take their chances?
Yuki is indeed the unknown factor at this point. She has peculiar but strong (if ambiguous) feelings about Zii, Sonya, and DiDi. We just have to wait and see where they lead her.

But it was previously established that good bassists are hard to find - which is why losing her is going to sting Zii hard, for purely practical reasons, even if she doesn't give a wet slap about the emotional side or Peggy's opinions. (And actually, I think that Zii is meant to be a slightly better person than that.) There are multiple possibilities here, but Zii making some effort to patch things up with Sonya and get her back in the band, or Yuki and/or Izz defecting to a project involving Sonya, are certainly on the list.
Vitocap wrote:
Unless Yuki does something drastic to make Sonya stay in the comic, then yes, this is probably Sonya's exit. Like, that cab will take her to New Brunswick, and she will start a new career as a comic artist or something.
While TCampbell has some previous form for sticking characters on a bus and pushing them out of a comic with a complete (and horrible) lack of concern from the rest of the cast, I don't see how we there yet with Sonya. Zii has just lost a useful band member and is showing some signs of confused guilt about the fuck-up she made of that relationship, Peggy is clearly concerned for her friend and is setting up to push Zii into doing something, and Sonya isn't the sort to take an insult lying down without some baroque attempt at revenge (and no, a mis-aimed thrown cat and a resignation aren't enough). And Sonya is half of Giz's author-identification in Ma3. The chance of Sonya walking out of the comic at this point seems very low indeed to me.
---------
Spidrift

Boomer_Gonzales

Post by Boomer_Gonzales »

Lita and Gary are the only ones who truly understand each other!!

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

Vitocap wrote:
Sonya never had the slightest interest in joining a band until she found she could spend more time with Zii if she did. Now that she's done with Zii, it should be a given that she's done with the musical act too.
I recall when she was invited she was like 'a band, what's that?' and when she found it's to play music she was like 'oh I can play the triangle!' lol
then when they told her that wasn't it she reminded 'I also can play bass guitar'... yeah, it's like play bass is bottom of her priorities...
Spidrift wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:38 pm
Vitocap wrote:
Sonya is half of Giz's author-identification in Ma3. The chance of Sonya walking out of the comic at this point seems very low indeed to me.
hey but that's the idea, right? Giz's author-identification..... that's why it's time Sonya drops the music and becomes a webcomic author in another city lolol

how about 'Orgie à 20' for a title? ;)

uzivatel

Post by uzivatel »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:24 pm
Alternate toned-down version of my wacky theory, by the way; Sonya actually studied classical double bass in her schooldays, and was considered quite promising before she was distracted by boys. So when she saw a chance to get close to Zii, she went out and bought that bass guitar and practised like crazy; the skills are, I understand, broadly transferrable.
She was never that good in school.
Spidrift wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:38 pm
Yuki is indeed the unknown factor at this point. She has peculiar but strong (if ambiguous) feelings about Zii, Sonya, and DiDi. We just have to wait and see where they lead her.
I doubt Yuki is an unknown here. She may scold Zii, but she seems unlikely to leave her old friend.
Boomer_Gonzales wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 pm
Lita and Gary are the only ones who truly understand each other!!
Does anyone truly understand cats?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

uzivatel wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:53 am
She was never that good in school.
Good catch. Still, I stand by my fanwank theory that Sonya underestimates herself, and had quite a lot of potential until she got distracted by boys.
uzivatel wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:53 am
Does anyone truly understand cats?
I think a lot of people over-complicate that. They're predators with exceptional senses and no particular need to bond with primates, but enough intelligence to learn what represents a reliable food supply.
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

My experience shows they have no need, but do possess the capacity.

KMFiredancer

Post by KMFiredancer »

Vitocap wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:22 pm
Antinerd wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:56 am
Gary the doormat. What all three girls (S, Z, D) need is a lecture, a good bare bottomed spanking, then another lecture. After that each would have to complete assignments involving personal interactions with the other two.
Of course Gary could never pull that off.
*sigh* There's that male brain thing again.

Yeah, because violence against women is always the solution. Way to go, dude. That's what we need here: a strong man to beat the shit out of these unruly girls and then give them a good dressing down when they are too cowed to talk back. That will totally knock the nonsense out of them and teach them who's boss. They will be obeying your every whim and completing assignments for you in no time.

Good thing you dudebros are around to share such pearls of wisdom with us all.
I'm a chick and your constant "male brain thing" mentions are ticking *me* off. Seriously. Just because someone makes a one-off joke or has a differing opinion doesn't mean that it's a product of them being male. You saying "oh it's a male brain thing" or "oh you dudebros" is just as sexist as men saying women nag or are only suited to caregiver positions and it's just as harmful.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Not to forget that at least two of them are totally into being spanked and the third is more than likely to be into it. :p

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Chantaru

Post by Chantaru »

Sonia is treating Zii like a puzzlebox, not taking no for an answer. If she was a guy, people would call it creepy. She has tried and tried, and everytime she can, she tries to get Zii. Now she is like a "nice guy" whinning about being friendzoned. Even if Zii should have known better, Sonia put herself in the situation.