29-04-17 Why would she be mad

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Re: 29-04-17 Why would she be mad

Post by BlairFan »

Spidrift, Amber is level-headed- compared to Zii. ;)
I hope DiDi and Gary won't be too hard on themselves. Hindsight is always twenty-twenty. :-?

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Gary was definitely not aware of the drama before Didi entered his room.

sparky

Post by sparky »

So, guesses as to where she went?
Mine is that she's at Amber's and this is a segue to giving SDB characters some closure.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

A lot of us have been guessing Amber and Dillon's place. That doesn't make it certain, but why would she not turn to them, and where else would she go?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

...dis bonne nuit, Didi.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

jbrecken wrote:Didi agrees with my laundry theory - Hooray?
Obligatory.

Yeah, Gary had no clue that Zii was having feelings for Didi (other than the standard lust she exhibits around Didi). Gary had no inkling that Didi was going to jump his bones. He's not at fault here. Because he cares for a friend (let alone, wing-girl and/or rent-source/roommate... and Lita too) I am sure he will do the right thing and do his best to track her down. While he is probably exhausted still after getting boinked to the brink of death by Didi, a little adrenalin goes a long way. Hopefully he will be able to call off of work to do so.

I think it would be a worthwhile mini-arc to delve into Didi's past, specifically what caused her to be so selfish yet cute. The irony isn't lost on me, how she needs a feeling of deep emotional attachment to orgasm yet she's oblivious to how others get hurt by her inattentiveness. I don't think it is a true evil, as we understand it. The after-effect isn't palatable, though. I think she has more to her than just being a two-dimensional self-serving cutesy bimbo.

in fact we should probably also get some mini-montages of Gary and Zii growing up too. There's sure to be some funny-ha-ha's there. I'd read it.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Nobody's been blaming Gary for this, that I've noticed. I mean, I'd blame him generically for being so passive and inert, but he's just now being, if anything, unusually committed and concerned, by his standards.

Although we haven't actually seen much of DiDi's past, she did tell Kiley that her parents were poor but gave her everything that they could. That suggests to me that she's always had this supernatural ability to make people think they love her, even before she got the legendary boobage. Which means that the explanation for her character is simple; even with a poor family background, she is, very very simply, spoiled rotten. Like I said, she's a cuckoo in the human race's nest.

But I won't expect flashbacks to confirm or disprove this. These comics tend to limit themselves to very occasional, mostly just one-panel early-life flashbacks, for the sake of quick comedy or occasionally pathos, not deep characterisation.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

odalzara

Post by odalzara »

Varanus wrote:To be fair, the idea that having sex could emotionally hurt others is something that Zii seldom grasps either.
yes, she pretty much did the same thing to gary not so long ago in the timeline

Lerianis

Post by Lerianis »

True_Avery wrote:I feel like Gary's empathy had the fill the empathy vacuum that is the space around Didi - the laws of nature wont allow that kind of sociopath low pressure to survive without pushing understanding out of someone else
No. Less sociopath, more "If they are not in a committed relationship, why would X be mad if I slept with Y?"
Plus, a lot of people today do not do that 'always and forever, one true WUV' nonsense.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:Nobody's been blaming Gary for this, that I've noticed. I mean, I'd blame him generically for being so passive and inert, but he's just now being, if anything, unusually committed and concerned, by his standards.

Although we haven't actually seen much of DiDi's past, she did tell Kiley that her parents were poor but gave her everything that they could. That suggests to me that she's always had this supernatural ability to make people think they love her, even before she got the legendary boobage. Which means that the explanation for her character is simple; even with a poor family background, she is, very very simply, spoiled rotten. Like I said, she's a cuckoo in the human race's nest.

But I won't expect flashbacks to confirm or disprove this. These comics tend to limit themselves to very occasional, mostly just one-panel early-life flashbacks, for the sake of quick comedy or occasionally pathos, not deep characterisation.
That shoulder angel of hers makes me think otherwise. DiDi is a thoughtful person most of the time, but in matters of the heart it's different because she developed into someone who arouses feelings of attraction in some and envy in others. That's not her fault and she'd be completely oblivious to this is if no one ever told her. Various suitors wanted to get her in bed and her friends came to resent her for reasons she couldn't figure out which she found perplexing. Perhaps Kiley tried, but I think after she gave DiDi her first orgasm she wasn't focused on anything else except getting her next so it all fell on deaf ears.

JoeNobody

Post by JoeNobody »

We might be overthinking this a bit.

Gary has been the person on the other side of the wall from the incredibly loud sex before. (I think it was Zii and Yuki after The Play, but the archive links are all messed up.) So he can identify with the situation.

DiDi? The closest was when she heard Gary and Kiley, and she was definitely NOT heartbroken over that. So the idea that someone else would be horribly upset is probably foreign to her.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
Varanus wrote:To be fair, the idea that having sex could emotionally hurt others is something that Zii seldom grasps either.
Oh, I don't know. She's careless and impetuous, but she understood the problems she'd caused for Sonya quickly enough, and she realised why she'd lost Erik. She often acts without thinking, but she doesn't have DiDi's total emotional blindness.

I often think it's a shame that Ruby never talked to her about Zii's relationship with Amber. That could have been an interestingly complicated conversation.
Yet had no problem going at it with Yuki loud enough for Gary to hear it.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

yeah, zii sure was inconsiderate in placating her insane, violent stalker, that gary brought to an event he knew she would be attending, despite being warned in quite explicit terms.
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Lerianis wrote:Less sociopath, more "If they are not in a committed relationship, why would X be mad if I slept with Y?"
The fact that X had just expressed quite intense interest in her might be a clue to someone less clueless than DiDi. Like, say, Gary, as seen in this very strip.
brasca wrote:That shoulder angel of hers makes me think otherwise. DiDi is a thoughtful person most of the time, but in matters of the heart it's different because she developed into someone who arouses feelings of attraction in some and envy in others.
I might call DiDi a lot of different things, but "thoughtful" has never been one of them. "Oblivious" is rather the opposite, after all.

I think you mean "considerate", but even that doesn't work. What DiDi is, the thing her shoulder angel represents, is sentimental. She likes cute puppies and cries over sad stories. It's the thing that stops her from being a complete and utter horror, most of the time. But sentimentality is a cheap, easy, rather selfish emotion - it's ultimately about what makes DiDi feel bad, not what anyone else wants or needs - and it's easily put aside when DiDi wants something.
JoeNobody wrote:Gary has been the person on the other side of the wall from the incredibly loud sex before. (I think it was Zii and Yuki after The Play, but the archive links are all messed up.) So he can identify with the situation.
Yeah, good point. Gary getting a clue here may be partly down to his personal experience.
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Spidrift wrote:She's careless and impetuous, but she understood the problems she'd caused for Sonya quickly enough, and she realised why she'd lost Erik. She often acts without thinking, but she doesn't have DiDi's total emotional blindness.
Yet had no problem going at it with Yuki loud enough for Gary to hear it.
Careless and impetuous. She understood well enough why Gary was pissed off the morning after, but that didn't stop her at the time.

Zii has plenty flaws, but mostly she just needs to think a bit more. DiDi shows very few signs of being able to think at all.
---------
Spidrift

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote:A lot of us have been guessing Amber and Dillon's place. That doesn't make it certain, but why would she not turn to them, and where else would she go?
She may turn to them, but she may not stay. Amber having a new boyfriend that she's boning every chance she gets (and in an apartment with walls just as thin as Gary's place) could be yet another reminder to Zii of what she's not getting, and may cause her to flee Amber's place and perhaps keep going right out of town. Remember, running away is Zii's main strategy for dealing with tough problems, and she may feel a fresh start in another town would be the best solution.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard