Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

22-09-16 This humble offering

Post by Giz »

brasca

Re: 22-09-16 This humble offering

Post by brasca »

D'awwww! They have a connection. And maybe one after that too.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I have far more sympathy for Yuki, since her trauma occurred when she was a child due to accidentally seeing her father's hentai. I have zero sympathy for Matt, since his trauma manifested due to his douchebag "alpha male" status being unwittingly challenged by someone he judged as "inferior" to himself.
They may have vaguely similar struggles with trauma-based hallucinations, but Yuki's happened because of her innocence at the time of her fear's origin, while Matt's happens because he is a pathetic, self-aggrandising man-child.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

So freaking what? That's totally bloody irrelevant here. The point of this strip isn't the audience being asked to sympathise with Matt; we're a comedy audience, we're supposed to enjoy the sight of people in pain. The point is Matt feeling a twinge of sympathy for Yuki, because she's just said something that reminds him of his own problems. As a result, well, something will happen in the next strip - we don't know exactly what yet - and it'll move the plot forward.

(Actually, I'm mostly curious to see if Sonya is still around, and if so, where her sympathies lie in any ensuing conversation or other activities. Matt, we already know is a bastard with an unreliable good-hearted streak; Sonya has scored her victory over Yuki here, maybe got her own back on Matt for turning Jake into an unreliable adviser on sexual matters, and cooked up a little drama - now, does she feel at all sorry for her old enemy, and can she offer any good advice of her own?)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Maechris

Post by Maechris »

I have zero sympathy for either.
Ohhh, poor Yuki, somehow avoiding jailtime or serious therapy and only seeking aid for her problem with a psychology STUDENT after years of living with it, and only because a geek was excessively loyal to her to the point even her mentally unhinged self noticed it after taking advantage of him several times and dragging him through a crappy all-take-no-give relationship .

Our poor, poor Yuki. Her puppy eyes certainly make up for her approaching-insanity levels of stability.

Otherwise a funny strip, I'm just not investing into any 'D'awww poor Yuki!' bonds anytime soon.
More often than not people fail to see the entirety of the issue, and focus on a single facet of it. Ask yourself what makes you right before you set fire on other people for being wrong. // "Chemical reactions between the kawaii and uguu hormones.Within the Desu Gland. This is near to the upper Moe muscle."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, she's just admitted that she's crazy. So even she admits that it's more than "approaching-insanity".

Think of this as, potentially, two flawed people maybe actually making each other better. Or just holding a deranged conversation that confuses the third flawed person present.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Raamyah
Creator of small worlds

Post by Raamyah »

Aaaahhhhh! He's going to do it! Oh, my! Call the paramedics! Boil some water! Get me some iodine!
"There are four pillars of existence that support the very foundations of the universe: the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant, Newtonian gravity, and the all-encompassing awesomeness of breasts." - Pauli Polsuo

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid." - Anonymous

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Huh. This is actually an interesting development.

Maechris

Post by Maechris »

Spidrift wrote:Actually, she's just admitted that she's crazy. So even she admits that it's more than "approaching-insanity".

Think of this as, potentially, two flawed people maybe actually making each other better. Or just holding a deranged conversation that confuses the third flawed person present.
Yes, it's potentially a step in the right direction, but as with all sudden twists and turns I think it's worth waiting and seeing what'll come out of it before I make any final judgements. The format certainly makes it problematic to send a full message when attempting to do so, and sometimes characters come off as much better or much worse in the short term because of it, though in this case it's mitigated by the fact we're just reading a comedy.
Raamyah wrote:Aaaahhhhh! He's going to do it! Oh, my! Call the paramedics! Boil some water! Get me some iodine!
Will it be enough?
More often than not people fail to see the entirety of the issue, and focus on a single facet of it. Ask yourself what makes you right before you set fire on other people for being wrong. // "Chemical reactions between the kawaii and uguu hormones.Within the Desu Gland. This is near to the upper Moe muscle."

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Oh snap! I didn't make that connection, they do have something in common!
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

They're sex-mad loons who are prone to various forms of Hollywood Insanity. In other words, they're Ma3 characters. So, yeah, stuff in common.
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

And suddenly, in a brilliant flash of light, it all becomes clear...

Yuki will cosplay as FemGary.

Matt will cosplay as ManGary*.

And they will fuck happily forever after.

Gary gets nothing.

* Gary does not belong to the Phylum Chordata, instead, he may be found in the lower branches of Cnidaria.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, Gary gets everything.

Gary has no material existence. Gary is a memetic parasite. Everyone who sees Gary is a carrier for the parasite. Everything which is seen as Gary is Gary. So long as Gary is seen, Gary is increasing in power. In the situation you describe, Gary is present twice, and grows stronger in two host-brains. And has sex, twice.

The physical entity that others think they know as "Gary" is actually an overweight 53-year-old named Jason Chung, who has been adopted as the primary vector for the parasite. He thinks that he is getting lots of sex in exchange for the weird delusions that develop in everyone he speaks to, but actually, the parasite is nearly done with him. Soon, he will be discarded, a spent shell with no memetic substance whatsoever. In a few months he will die, raving but ignored. But none will care, for all will be Gary.

(Save of course for the alien psychic cuckoo which, a little later, will hatch forth from the insubstantial shell of "DiDi", and return to its true homeworld -- and thus spread the Gary-infection to the stars. Soon, purple octopoids basking in the light of blue suns will see Gary.)
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, I have to admit, that would make a nice plot twist for the very last comic of Vol. 12.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Naturallyhighpenguin

Post by Naturallyhighpenguin »

Raamyah wrote:Aaaahhhhh! He's going to do it! Oh, my! Call the paramedics! Boil some water! Get me some iodine!
If this is a peanuts reference, I got it <3
If not, I still got it. :/