[RAILGUN] General translation comments thread

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
ProvidenceBreaker

Re: Railgun Volume 4 Comments

Post by ProvidenceBreaker »

Adam Arnold wrote:
-(Chapter 20) "Misaka is number [9992]." Isn't it 9982 due to this line later in the volume:
(Chapter 22) "Commence experiment 9982."
For all the zillion things that get fact checked in this series, that's what manages to slip through...? Just goes to show that 5 different people can read the same text and all miss the same thing.
It's actually an understandable oversight, since there's nothing to explicitly suggest, outside of her designated number, that the Misaka in the flashback is the same Misaka trolling Mikoto 3 months later. It's been a long time since I read that chapter and actually didn't remember they were the same character until Tact pointed it out.

Zeether

Re: [RAILGUN] General translation comments thread

Post by Zeether »

Someone on Tumblr mentioned that one person's clairvoyance skill was translated as "X-ray vision"...I don't get that.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Zeether wrote:Someone on Tumblr mentioned that one person's clairvoyance skill was translated as "X-ray vision"...I don't get that.
For Mii's power in the side story at the end of Volume 3, the text for the word "透視" literally translates to "see through." When you add other kanji to that, it can refer either to x-ray vision or clairvoyance, depending on context. Our context is the art, which shows that it's x-ray vision (i.e. she's using her eyes to through people's clothing and bags much like Superman would). We didn't go by any other context.

If the you know of some other context, we'd like to hear what it is. Absent of it, however, we stand by the fact that this is x-ray vision.

BananaPie

Post by BananaPie »

Adam Arnold wrote:
Zeether wrote:Someone on Tumblr mentioned that one person's clairvoyance skill was translated as "X-ray vision"...I don't get that.
For Mii's power in the side story at the end of Volume 3, the text for the word "透視" literally translates to "see through." When you add other kanji to that, it can refer either to x-ray vision or clairvoyance, depending on context. Our context is the art, which shows that it's x-ray vision (i.e. she's using her eyes to through people's clothing and bags much like Superman would). We didn't go by any other context.

If the you know of some other context, we'd like to hear what it is. Absent of it, however, we stand by the fact that this is x-ray vision.
Perhaps using "clairvoyance" to keep things consistent with the to aru majutsu no index wikia? (http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Konori_Mii). IMO, the difference between x-ray vision and clairvoyance is miniscule and so using one or the other would be perfectly fine. Only thing I have to say that clairvoyance sounds cooler than X-ray vision. =P

ProvidenceBreaker

Post by ProvidenceBreaker »

BananaPie wrote:
Adam Arnold wrote:

Perhaps using "clairvoyance" to keep things consistent with the to aru majutsu no index wikia? (http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Konori_Mii). IMO, the difference between x-ray vision and clairvoyance is miniscule and so using one or the other would be perfectly fine. Only thing I have to say that clairvoyance sounds cooler than X-ray vision. =P
This might be important if we're talking about the anime, but Mii is a throwaway character in the manga. Chances are high she will never appear again, much less even use or mention her ability.

Tactless

Post by Tactless »

Another Volume, another round of error-checking!

The only mistakes I found were in the 4koma section, where Konori (and Saten in one strip) calls Uiharu "Uihara".