[RAILGUN] General translation comments thread

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Lord Styphon

Re: General translation comments thread

Post by Lord Styphon »

Well that sounds legit.

Riccha

Post by Riccha »

I get the feeling you're being sarcastic, so I apologise greatly for bothering to post.
It doesn't particularily matter to me, because the chances of the anime ever getting a release in my region are very, very slim, but perhaps someone should send an email to FUNi asking about it instead of just speculating.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Riccha wrote:I get the feeling you're being sarcastic, so I apologise greatly for bothering to post.
It doesn't particularily matter to me, because the chances of the anime ever getting a release in my region are very, very slim, but perhaps someone should send an email to FUNi asking about it instead of just speculating.
They have asked FUNimation. The answer is that the titles (Hellsing Ultimate, Index/Railgun, etc) are being held up by their problems with Geneon Universal. They're working to get them sorted out, but don't expect anything before probably mid-2012.

GenericUser

Post by GenericUser »

Copyright bullcrap fricken blows. I bet the Railgun manga would sell a hell lot more if the Index anime managed to release at the same time.

Tactless

"Steel" Magnus?

Post by Tactless »

From Railgun Volume 2:
I look forward to seeing more. And hey, maybe a certain miko could show up in the background, just like Steel and Yomikawa did.
Did the author really write down "Steel"? Just curious.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: "Steel" Magnus?

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Tactless wrote:From Railgun Volume 2:
I look forward to seeing more. And hey, maybe a certain miko could show up in the background, just like Steel and Yomikawa did.
Now that you point it out, it's clearly a translation goof. It should be Stiyl.
We have to refer to Wikipedia and the Index fan wiki in order to check terms for this book, so without knowing that this referred to Magnus, it's just not something we were able to catch until you pointed it out. Thankfully, it's only in the author notes, so it doesn't impact the story. @_@

ProvidenceBreaker

Post by ProvidenceBreaker »

Tactless wrote:From Railgun Volume 2:
I'm going to take it as a positive sign that that is the only thing you took issue with. Unfortunately, my copy is still in the mail.

ProvidenceBreaker

ProvidenceBreaker wrote: I'm going to take it as a positive sign that that is the only thing you took issue with. Unfortunately, my copy is still in the mail.
I just got done reading it. It was pretty well done, and I'm glad Seven Seas is using the fan wiki to assist the translation. It works as a nice bit of recognition for the folks who laid the foundation for the english speaking fanbase. The "Steel" thing is understandable, considering the translator probably didn't notice Stiyl's cameo appearance in the background. There was no context to work with.

RPG_Fanatic

Re: [RAILGUN] General translation comments thread

Post by RPG_Fanatic »

Hello. I just want to say thank you for publishing A Certain Scientific Railgun. As a big Raildex fan, I'm to be able to own a part of it in English.

On the subject of the Anime, Funimation finally got the material mid-September, but are still waiting for additional material before they get started. While I doubt it will be released this year anymore, hopefully Funimation will start advertising it this year, and create more awareness for the series.

ProvidenceBreaker

Congratulations! Railgun is number 2 on the NYT manga bestseller list. It would have been number 1 if not for the nostalgia bomb of Sailor Moon, but it's all good. 2012 should be nice with 4 volumes being released. Keep up the good work!

MrTerrorist

Post by MrTerrorist »

I just noticed the preview cover of volume 5 was the same like the regular Japanese cover. Will the special cover featuring Team ITEM be publish as well?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

MrTerrorist wrote:I just noticed the preview cover of volume 5 was the same like the regular Japanese cover. Will the special cover featuring Team ITEM be publish as well?
Our foreign license only extends to content associated with the standard editions of the Railgun manga. The special editions are exclusive to Japan, in this case.

Tactless

Railgun Volume 4 Comments

Post by Tactless »

I found three hiccups in my copy of Railgun Volume 4 (which I got earlier today, yippee).

-(Chapter 19) "This is to bring about an intentional 100% reproduction rate of Level 5s, [formally] born through pure chance." Shouldn't it be "formerly", according to the context?

-(Chapter 20) "Misaka is number [9992]." Isn't it 9982 due to this line later in the volume:
(Chapter 22) "Commence experiment 9982."

-(Chapter 20) There was a slight printing error involving a strip that's off-center with the rest of the page. It's on the page with this line:
"Physical strength, stamina, and cardiopulmonary functions are all good."

ProvidenceBreaker

Re: Railgun Volume 4 Comments

Tactless wrote:I found three hiccups in my copy of Railgun Volume 4 (which I got earlier today, yippee).

-(Chapter 19) "This is to bring about an intentional 100% reproduction rate of Level 5s, [formally] born through pure chance." Shouldn't it be "formerly", according to the context?

-(Chapter 20) "Misaka is number [9992]." Isn't it 9982 due to this line later in the volume:

-(Chapter 20) There was a slight printing error involving a strip that's off-center with the rest of the page. It's on the page with this line:
I got the same printing error in my copy. Hopefully the typos can be corrected in the second printing. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the book.

My only real complaint is how the translator's notes are placed too close to where the pages connect to the spine. You'd have to rip the book apart just to see them clearly.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Railgun Volume 4 Comments

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Tactless wrote:-(Chapter 19) "This is to bring about an intentional 100% reproduction rate of Level 5s, [formally] born through pure chance." Shouldn't it be "formerly", according to the context?
Yes, it should be "formerly." We'll get it fixed next go.

For all the zillion things that get fact checked in this series, that's what manages to slip through...? Just goes to show that 5 different people can read the same text and all miss the same thing.

That's an odd artifact. I checked our original files and it wasn't there, so it cropped up just prior to printing. We'll get it fixed next printing. Thanks for pointing it out!