Blood Alone - My opinion on the omnibus

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Fotios

Blood Alone - My opinion on the omnibus

Post by Fotios »

Hey people! As a fan of this great series im really glad for its continuation so when i heard of the omnibus i bought it in order to support the people behind it. I have to say that i am quite pleased of it although i have an objection. The quality of the paper is good and it is much easier to read in this format (reader friendly). My only objection whould be the new translation...i think it removes some of the elegance and atmosphere the "old style" had (i think its very important for this kind of manga)...i don't know about the following volumes but i do hope that you stick closer to the "old style". Once again thanks for the continuation of this great series and keep up the good work.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: My opinion on the omnibus

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Fotios, thank you for your comments, and we're glad you enjoyed Blood Alone. In order to better understand what you mean by "old style," though, can you give us some specific examples?

Fotios

Post by Fotios »

Sure!For example the use of a lot of american colloqualisms and phrases that include sh*t,a** and such. The english used in the original translation was more formal(?). Take a look in the first dialogue Kuroe has with Marias father(the ex-assasin). Try compering the one in the omnibus and the one in vol2 by Inf.Studios. Also during the dialogue Kuroe had with Higure when he "visited" Kuroes house to worn him of Misaki beign suspected. The use of terms like "piece of sh*t" etc i think should be avoided (such terms and various other american colloqualisms remove the elegance the original translation had) and a more formal way of english should be used in my opinion. Thanks for taking the time reading my opinion.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Fotios, many of the examples you mentioned were a stylistic choice by the rewriter, but in retrospect, maybe I should have reigned the script in a bit more and edited the swear words out of those early volumes. It's often a fine balancing act between a bland translation and being too edgy. With Blood Alone, the book is rated Older Teen (16+) and we're trying to appeal to readers of Dance in the Vampire Bund as there's a lot of crossover appeal with the series. We will keep in mind your suggestions, though. In fact, we had just finished prepping book 4 for the printer and I've gone through and made sure that there aren't any jarring curse words for books 4 and 5.

Fotios

Post by Fotios »

Thanks for your honest reply. I'm grateful for your time and for reading my opinion, too (considering the readers opinion is very important) . I'm eagerly looking forward for the next volumes.