Regarding light novel,manga and licensing them

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
lashagiorgi

Regarding light novel,manga and licensing them

Post by lashagiorgi »

I have few questions and want to discuss something.

1.Due to the fact that light novels and manga are usually published in japanese,is there a possibility for an english written light novel or manga to be published,If the light novel or manga is popular enough,of course?

2.How much are the chances of them to be published or licensed,OR is it better to write in Japanese?

3.Some projects contain images of the facts,how much minimum amount of pictures should a 20 chapter(3 pages single chapter) light novel should contain?

4.How long might it take(Your opinion) for your light novel or manga to be published?what i mean is how many attempts or how many years of experiance?

P.S i already read submissions "We will also not supply any form of art critique or advice on how to become or "make it" as a manga artist, so please don't ask." Thi's won't be advice,this is just simple question and anwser.I only want to know chances and possibilities.The given anwsers may change fate of others,Deppending on anwsers I might change my writing style or possibly give up on my dreams,so please consider it seriously.thanks in advance.

Lord Styphon

Re: Regarding light novel,manga and licensing them

Post by Lord Styphon »

is there a possibility for an english written light novel or manga to be published
Given that you're asking this question on the forum of a company that was founded specifically to publish manga written in English, that they're still involved in publishing manga written in English, and somehow haven't gone bankrupted themselves, do you think there's a possibility?

English language light novels, such as they exist, aren't called that. Unless you're working with a company that is familiar with Japanese products, the term "light novel" isn't going to mean much of anything.
OR is it better to write in Japanese?
Unless you possess the same level of proficiency as a native speaker, it's pretty much never better to write in Japanese.
how much minimum amount of pictures should a 20 chapter(3 pages single chapter) light novel should contain?
Since the "light novel" as a concept is, for the most part, unique to Japan, the proper number of pictures is 0. Your pictures aren't going to sell your work if you're writing for an English-speaking market, would end up taking up space that could be better used for story, and contribute little or nothing to the work.
How long might it take(Your opinion) for your light novel or manga to be published?what i mean is how many attempts or how many years of experiance?
That depends entirely on the writer and the publisher, and can range from "on your first try" to "never", depending on the combination.
or possibly give up on my dreams

lashagiorgi

Post by lashagiorgi »

Few more questions:

1.Regardless of the fact that story must be interesting and must attract many readers,what are other requirements in order your story to be published.

2.From the experiance of gomanga company which is more poppular novel or manga?(my guess is manga)

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

There are no "set" requirements to get a story published. It just has to be a unique concept that someone thinks will sell.

As for what's popular, manga is more popular than Japanese-licensed novels.