[RAILGUN] Question regarding the translation.

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
ProvidenceBreaker

[RAILGUN] Question regarding the translation.

Post by ProvidenceBreaker »

Will this title retain the honorifics and Kuroko's "Onee-sama"? I'm not all that familiar with how Seven Seas does things, but I generally hear good things. I'm anxiously awaiting the first volume, in any case.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Question regarding the translation.

Post by Adam_Arnold »

If a series is set in Japan, then we always retail all honorifics and we go one step further...we retain the original Japanese name order (last name / first name). So yes, Railgun will have all these items kept. In fact, I just finished reviewing the script for book one, so that's being lettered now!

ProvidenceBreaker

Awesome. There's a lot of cynicism among the Raildex fanbase about how this license would be treated. It's good to know their fears are largely unwarranted. Thanks for the quick response. :happyhappy:

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

ProvidenceBreaker wrote:Awesome. There's a lot of cynicism among the Raildex fanbase about how this license would be treated. It's good to know their fears are largely unwarranted. Thanks for the quick response. :happyhappy:
What's the cynicism saying?

ProvidenceBreaker

Adam Arnold wrote: What's the cynicism saying?
I think they were just assuming it was going to end up being sterilized of all its cultural aspects in order to reach a wider demographic. Something like that rarely happens anymore. It's more or less a case of people who usually deal with Viz projecting their negativity onto other companies they are unfamiliar with.

kingdomkey101

Post by kingdomkey101 »

A different question about the translation but it has to do with misaka and her one name...... you know bribri also know as sparky, shocker, and other electricity related puns... how are you translating that because I know it does still pop up in the anime at least....

FYI just my guess the cynicism is probably that there will be editing which is ridiculous when looking at dance in the vampire

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Touma's nickname for Misaka Mikoto our edition is "Sparky."

kingdomkey101

Post by kingdomkey101 »

I like that, I am not sure I speak for everyone though. thank you very much the quick reply it really is nice for a company to be so open.

samthenayru

Post by samthenayru »

I think Sparky's a great nickname. Seeing "Biribiri" in an officially localized manga would be plain weird.

ProvidenceBreaker

samthenayru wrote:I think Sparky's a great nickname. Seeing "Biribiri" in an officially localized manga would be plain weird.
It wouldn't be that strange. As long as there was an editor's note explaining it. Not that it makes a huge difference either way. It's more of an issue for the anime than the novels/manga, since JC Staff doesn't acknowledge the fact that Touma stops calling her that after the first story arc.

catshione

Post by catshione »

I am going to wait and see if the whole thing gets released before i start to collect.
I hate unfinished collections.
this has happened all to often of late,
I wonder how many folks feel the same way.
also i get by waiting i am not feeding the money into the system right now. and it's needed or so i am told
something about sales figures,

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

The lettering for Railgun 2 is due in this Friday, and we're going to be starting work on book 3 next week.

ProvidenceBreaker

catshione wrote:I am going to wait and see if the whole thing gets released before i start to collect.
also i get by waiting i am not feeding the money into the system right now. and it's needed or so i am told
It will take 2-3 years to catch up to the Japanese version and the author has no intention of ending it anytime soon. Railgun gave Viz's big 3 a significant thrashing in online sales last week. I highly doubt it will be canceled.

einhorn303

Post by einhorn303 »

catshione wrote:I am going to wait and see if the whole thing gets released before i start to collect.
This is a bad idea because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more people who want to wait until the series is finished, the worse the ongoing sales are, and the less likely it is to actually be finished.
Avatar: Rico from Gunslinger Girl. Art by Yu Aida (相田 裕).

MrTerrorist

Post by MrTerrorist »

So i read that there were some minor translation mistakes(eg. "Star of Tokiwadai" instead of the correct "Ace of Tokiwadai").
When will a 2nd printing with corrections be out?