Toradora light novel love?

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
MrB

Toradora light novel love?

Post by MrB »

Considering there are "only" 10 volumes of the Toradora light novel, (though I probably already know the answer) does Seven Seas have ANY plans on translating them? If not, then would they if the manga sold well? If not AGAIN, has Seven Seas pretty much just given up on light novels?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Toradora light novel love?

Post by Adam_Arnold »

MrB wrote:Considering there are "only" 10 volumes of the Toradora light novel, (though I probably already know the answer) does Seven Seas have ANY plans on translating them? If not, then would they if the manga sold well?
We don't have any current plans to release the ToraDora! light novels.

If not AGAIN, has Seven Seas pretty much just given up on light novels?
The only novel release we have on our schedule right now is the Strawberry Panic: The Complete Novel Collection.

MrB

Post by MrB »

Adam Arnold wrote:The only novel release we have on our schedule right now is the Strawberry Panic: The Complete Novel Collection.
Ah, well I suppose that more than makes up for it! lol :D

SoundDemon44

Post by SoundDemon44 »

I pre-orded V1 of the Manga off of amazon. I would love to see Seven Seas get the light Novels if the Magna does well enough.

Also..hello all (new member here...although I am a long time user of forums overall..just..not this one, lol.)
Dear Seven Seas..Please Save the Disgaea Manga & Light Novels..since Broccoli left us fans out in the cold.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

SoundDemon44 wrote:I pre-orded V1 of the Manga off of amazon. I would love to see Seven Seas get the light Novels if the Magna does well enough.
At present, our release plans only include the manga.

kingdomkey101

Post by kingdomkey101 »

I know you are probably tired of this, but now that some of the numbers are in for the first volume (which I am looking at) is there any chance of doing the toradora novels (also on a off topic note, why did you only get railgun and what is the chance of getting the index manga and light novels).

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

kingdomkey101 wrote:I know you are probably tired of this, but now that some of the numbers are in for the first volume (which I am looking at) is there any chance of doing the toradora novels
We've sold out of our initial print run of Toradora! Vol. 1 and it's being reprinted now. As for the light novels, though... given that there are 13 Toradora! light novels (10 core + 3 spin-off), it's just not possible for us to release them. Even if we started, we would never be able to put them all out as the production costs for a light novel are four times that of a single volume of manga. There's just no way to break even given how few fans there are that would actually be willing to purchase them. It's a niche product for an extremely niche audience (and bookstores don't want them).

(also on a off topic note, why did you only get railgun and what is the chance of getting the index manga and light novels).
The Index manga is owned by Square Enix, so Yen Press would be the likely company that could release it given they have a partnership with them.

As for the Index novels, there are 24 of them... so it's very impractical for that novel series to come over.

All this being said, we are releasing an omnibus of all three Strawberry Panic novels this June, so it's not that we won't release light novels... it just has to be a very short series that has a chance of selling.

jagermain

Post by jagermain »

I am THOROUGHLY enjoying the Toradora manga b/c Toradora! anime has been my favorite forever. The only problem is they take forever to get released. Why is this? Its so hard for me not to go to my laptop and read the fan-translated copies that are everywhere on the internet b/c I want the actual book in my hands but you know that you lose tons of business this way right? Can't you at least speed up the process to every other month?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

jagermain wrote:I am THOROUGHLY enjoying the Toradora manga b/c Toradora! anime has been my favorite forever. The only problem is they take forever to get released. Why is this? Its so hard for me not to go to my laptop and read the fan-translated copies that are everywhere on the internet b/c I want the actual book in my hands but you know that you lose tons of business this way right? Can't you at least speed up the process to every other month?
North American publishers are at the mercy of a lot of factors that scanlators don't have to contend with from unknown Japanese release dates, delayed contract negotiations, material delivery, to printing and shipping.

For Toradora! Vol. 5, the book came out two months later than expected in Japan, and this resulted in us not being able to schedule it for a summer release like we original planned...because there was just no possible way to complete contract negotiations (which can't start until the physical Japanese book has a release date or is out in Japan), secure materials, and translate/edit/letter/print the book any sooner. Toradora Vol. 5 is finished and at the printer as of yesterday. It'll print on July 9th, will ship to our distributor, which will in turn ship it to retailers...so it can be on sale September 4.

So to answer your question... no, there's no possible way to speed up the release. We're at the mercy of the American book distribution system when it comes to scheduling. We'd LOVE for it to be otherwise, though.

And what's sad is that we've now officially caught up to the Japanese release, and Toradora! has a YEARLY release schedule in Japan... so it's going to be a looong wait between book 5 and 6. @_@

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

A tangential query out of curiousity: Is the manga industry dying in Japan as much as it seems to be doing so here?
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Azrael wrote:A tangential query out of curiousity: Is the manga industry dying in Japan as much as it seems to be doing so here?
I haven't a clue. All we know is what Anime News Network reports on the subject.

jagermain

Post by jagermain »

Unread postby Adam Arnold » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:58 pm

jagermain wrote:
I am THOROUGHLY enjoying the Toradora manga b/c Toradora! anime has been my favorite forever. The only problem is they take forever to get released. Why is this? Its so hard for me not to go to my laptop and read the fan-translated copies that are everywhere on the internet b/c I want the actual book in my hands but you know that you lose tons of business this way right? Can't you at least speed up the process to every other month?

North American publishers are at the mercy of a lot of factors that scanlators don't have to contend with from unknown Japanese release dates, delayed contract negotiations, material delivery, to printing and shipping.

For Toradora! Vol. 5, the book came out two months later than expected in Japan, and this resulted in us not being able to schedule it for a summer release like we original planned...because there was just no possible way to complete contract negotiations (which can't start until the physical Japanese book has a release date or is out in Japan), secure materials, and translate/edit/letter/print the book any sooner. Toradora Vol. 5 is finished and at the printer as of yesterday. It'll print on July 9th, will ship to our distributor, which will in turn ship it to retailers...so it can be on sale September 4.

So to answer your question... no, there's no possible way to speed up the release. We're at the mercy of the American book distribution system when it comes to scheduling. We'd LOVE for it to be otherwise, though.

And what's sad is that we've now officially caught up to the Japanese release, and Toradora! has a YEARLY release schedule in Japan... so it's going to be a looong wait between book 5 and 6. @_@
- Adam Arnold
Seven Seas Entertainment
Adam Arnold
------------------------------------------------
ok well here i am one year later and you were right Adam, still not volume 6. This is highly dissapointing but youll be happy that i still havent read the light novels scanlated nor the rest of the manga on line. I will wait for you guys. Please dont let this fan down.