Gunslinger Girl - Question for seven seas?

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
catshione

Gunslinger Girl - Question for seven seas?

Post by catshione »

will you release all the novels after six?

my one and only question as a fan who owns the first six already as well as both seasons of the anime and ova.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Question for seven seas?

Post by Adam_Arnold »

I assume you mean the Gunslinger Girl manga, but yes, we do have plans to release volumes 7+ of the series. We're doing everything in order, so we have to get the first two omnibus out first.

MrTerrorist

Post by MrTerrorist »

I read from a certain troll blogger that Gunslinger Girl vol 13 is the last volume. Is this confirmed?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

MrTerrorist wrote:I read from a certain troll blogger that Gunslinger Girl vol 13 is the last volume. Is this confirmed?
Volume 13 isn't out yet, and Gunslinger Girl has a new chapter in the latest issue of Dengeki Daioh, so I doubt it.

einhorn303

Post by einhorn303 »

I am so looking forward to this. Out of all the series to be brought back from cancellation, this is the one I most wanted. It's one of my favorite series ever, actually.

I'll be rebuying the series in the omnibus format, too I want to do everything I can to make sure the series is financially successful this time around.
Avatar: Rico from Gunslinger Girl. Art by Yu Aida (相田 裕).

whythedislike

Post by whythedislike »

of course with titles that only get released in parts it would be nice to wait and see if they really do put out the books.

sort of a hands off type deal.

let us know the numbers on the omibus if that affects the release of number seven.

thanks.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Gunslinger Girl Vol. 7 is scheduled for an August 2011 release.

CMB

Post by CMB »

Is it just me or is the art in the omnibus new?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

CMB wrote:Is it just me or is the art in the omnibus new?
Not sure what you mean. ^_^;

damswedon

Post by damswedon »

Adam Arnold wrote:
In my copy of ADV's version of volume 1 the black of for example Jose's hair had very little change between the highlights and the base colours. I assume that is what CMB means.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

damswedon wrote:
Adam Arnold wrote:
In my copy of ADV's version of volume 1 the black of for example Jose's hair had very little change between the highlights and the base colours. I assume that is what CMB means.
It's my understanding that ADV scanned the pages of Gunslinger Girl for their edition. Scanning a printed book causes the art to get cropped more (so you have have enough on the sides to account for page bleed) and tones that use subtle shades of gray are lost and become solid blacks.

Our edition uses the original digital page data files. That would explain the differences you're seeing.

CMB

Post by CMB »

I think I understand now after looking at the ADV version again. :happyhappy:

Trunks_Elk

Post by Trunks_Elk »

wow, good to know that.

Some years ago i was thinking of buying the adv's gunslinger girl, lucky i did not do it ^^

RJFrazer

Post by RJFrazer »

It's my understanding that ADV scanned the pages of Gunslinger Girl for their edition.
Seriously? For a professional, commercial publication? That's quite embarrassing, really... maybe they ought to have broken out the photocipier and stapler while they were at it...! :sweat:

I have the old ADV editions, and while their page quality improved in the later volumes the difference between their and Seven Seas' version is palpable. It definitely compares favourably for Seven Seas.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

RJFrazer wrote:Seriously? For a professional, commercial publication? That's quite embarrassing, really... maybe they ought to have broken out the photocipier and stapler while they were at it...! :sweat:
Actually, having to scan manga is actually more common than getting to work with the original page data files. Some Japanese publishers (like Square Enix) don't provide foreign licensors with the page data for various reasons, which means that the only way a company can publish a book is to unbind the book and scan the pages.

(Fun fact: In order to unbind a manga, you have to heat it in the microwave in order to heat up the glue so you can pull the pages out.)

I have the old ADV editions, and while their page quality improved in the later volumes the difference between their and Seven Seas' version is palpable. It definitely compares favourably for Seven Seas.
Glad you think so!