[RAILGUN] When will you all release Toaru Majutsu no Index

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
catshione

[RAILGUN] When will you all release Toaru Majutsu no Index

Post by catshione »

Seeing as A Certain Scientific Railgun is a side story to Toaru Majutsu no Index. The question would be when will Seven seas release the manga and god i would love to see the light novels in the usa. But as a fan i understand that round one of sales for light novels was low. It is my hope that the series that led to railgun gets a release from your company as well since it's only a side story of the index.
I was very happy to see Funimation has picked up index and railgun as hope these lead to great sales for seven seas. Any idea's on the thought process of the release of a side story with out the release of the main story would be nice as a fan to hear about!
Thanks in advance I cant wait to pick this up when it comes out!
:piratemad:

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: When will you all release Toaru Majutsu no Index

Post by Adam_Arnold »

The first volume of the A Certain Scientific Railgun manga will be out June 2011:
http://gomanga.com/manga/acertainscientificrailgun.php
Any idea's on the thought process of the release of a side story with out the release of the main story would be nice as a fan to hear about!
There are 24+ A Certain Magical Index light novels, so it's impractical to release them due to the costs involved and their limited sales potential. With FUNimation releasing the anime, though, fans won't have to look far to get the other half of the story.

Let's face it, though... A Certain Scientific Railgun IS the more popular half of the franchise, spin-off or not. Plus, it's self-contained enough for anyone to enjoy it. It's just that awesome!

MrB

Post by MrB »

Adam Arnold wrote:There are 24+ A Certain Magical Index light novels, so it's impractical to release them due to the costs involved and their limited sales potential.
I understand where you're coming from from a business perspective but basically you're saying we should learn Japanese if we ever want to read the light novels? If there happened to be (for some reason) a high demand for Index, would Seven Seas consider it or is it out of the question entirely?

BTW, I'm new. Hello! :p

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

MrB wrote:I understand where you're coming from from a business perspective but basically you're saying we should learn Japanese if we ever want to read the light novels? If there happened to be (for some reason) a high demand for Index, would Seven Seas consider it or is it out of the question entirely?
I won't say that it's completely out of the question, but the actual reality is that outside of Vampire Hunter D, Japanese novels have a very bad track record here. Even if you got book 1 or 2 or 3...there is no guarantee at all that you would ever see an entire 24+ novel run in English unless it were a consistent best-seller and could recoup the production costs each and ever book. The market is just too niche to support it, sadly.

catshione

Post by catshione »

looking at the numbers index sold like 10 million copies in japan and the manga's sold more.
Of course I am getting that information from wiki. so who knows if those numbers are right.

My other question will your company release the whole arc? or should i wait and see before starting?
Seeing as some manga never reach the end of the series. its scary.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

catshione wrote:My other question will your company release the whole arc? or should i wait and see before starting?
Seeing as some manga never reach the end of the series. its scary.
Railgun is consistently one of the best selling books in Japan, so I don't think you have much to worry about.

Squallff8aus

Post by Squallff8aus »

Any plans on releasing A Certain Magical Index manga? I personally don't care about the novel, but I really want both the A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun manga in english.

While we're talking about niche titles, I'd also would like to see The World God Only Knows manga get translated into english. Don't know why no one bothered to licence it yet, its hilarious. On par or better even than Negima I'd say.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Squallff8aus wrote:Any plans on releasing A Certain Magical Index manga? I personally don't care about the novel, but I really want both the A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun manga in english.
The Index manga is put out by Square Enix, which has a partnership with Yen Press. So it's not possible for us to release the Index manga.

While we're talking about niche titles, I'd also would like to see The World God Only Knows manga get translated into english. Don't know why no one bothered to licence it yet, its hilarious. On par or better even than Negima I'd say.
Shogakukan puts out this book, and they own Viz...so Viz would be the likely company to release this.

ProvidenceBreaker

Post by ProvidenceBreaker »

Squallff8aus wrote:Any plans on releasing A Certain Magical Index manga? I personally don't care about the novel, but I really want both the A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun manga in english.
The Index manga is the black sheep of the franchise. Shonen Gangan pretty much cherry picks the most popular arcs and skips over everything else to the detriment of the overall plot. While the Railgun manga is tied directly into the novels and even has the authority to retcon the original material, the Index manga is treated as an alternate universe story and has no direct relation to the novels or the anime for that matter. Yen Press will probably release it eventually, but they are probably going to wait for FUNimation to create some name recognition with the anime first. I'd buy it for the artwork, at the very least.

Riccha

Post by Riccha »

Adam Arnold wrote:The first volume of the A Certain Scientific Railgun manga will be out June 2011:
http://gomanga.com/manga/acertainscientificrailgun.php
Any idea's on the thought process of the release of a side story with out the release of the main story would be nice as a fan to hear about!
There are 24+ A Certain Magical Index light novels, so it's impractical to release them due to the costs involved and their limited sales potential. With FUNimation releasing the anime, though, fans won't have to look far to get the other half of the story.

Let's face it, though... A Certain Scientific Railgun IS the more popular half of the franchise, spin-off or not. Plus, it's self-contained enough for anyone to enjoy it. It's just that awesome!
I'm replying to an old post, I know, and there's not much point in it (because I can understand why it's impractical to release the original novels), but I think you're mistaken about Railgun being more popular. The character Railgun/Misaka Mikoto is incredibly popular, but from what I've seen the Index novels seem to be more well liked than the Railgun manga; and the situation isn't helped at all by the rift between the people who like the Railgun anime's direction and therefore aren't as fond of the more serious manga, and the people who didn't like the anime but enjoy the manga.

Maybe my opinion is off because I only discuss with a relatively small circle of people though.

ProvidenceBreaker

The Railgun manga is not a perfectly self contained story, so demand for the novels will gradually build as characters like Accelerator and Mugino pop up. I agree it is unwise to license them now, but it may pay off at a later date when the franchise has more recognition.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

ProvidenceBreaker wrote:The Railgun manga is not a perfectly self contained story, so demand for the novels will gradually build as characters like Accelerator and Mugino pop up. I agree it is unwise to license them now, but it may pay off at a later date when the franchise has more recognition.
Sadly, the chance of the Index novels coming out here is very slim because there are 24 of them. (The Index manga could come out through Yen Press as they have access to the Square Enix library, though.)

ProvidenceBreaker

Adam Arnold wrote:Sadly, the chance of the Index novels coming out here is very slim because there are 24 of them. (The Index manga could come out through Yen Press as they have access to the Square Enix library, though.)
Let's forget the Index manga, since it's alternate universe nonsense (though I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to trick new people into thinking it is the actual source material). I'm not trying to pressure you or anyone else on the matter. I'm just realistically acknowledging the fact that, at this moment, it is the only canon version of the story that can be legally brought over to the States. I'm not saying it will be or even that it should be. Geneon Universal being the distributor for the anime has effectively killed any chance of the anime being released outside of Japan. FUNimation's been baring their fangs to anyone who asks about it off the record. It's a pretty grim situation on all fronts.

Tactless

A Suggestion on Releasing the Index Light Novels

Post by Tactless »

Maybe you can omnibus it?

WARNING: Spoilers!

For example:

1, 2, 3, 4
The beginning of the Index series (when it started out as a one-shot)
Deep Blood
The Sisters
Angel Fall
Connections within the omnibus:
Touma's memory loss
Mikoto's relationship with the Sisters (which the Railgun manga's version will elaborate on)
The introduction of Accelerator, and his fall from grace

5, 6, 7, 8
The Three Stories
Kazakiri Hyouka
Orsola Aquinas
Tree Diagram
Accelerator's path to redemption
Tree Diagram's absence

9-10, 11, 12
Daihasei Festival (9-10)
Queen of the Adriatic Fleet
Penalty Game
The Festival, and the aftermath
Touma winning a trip to Italy
Touma losing his bet with Mikoto

13, SS, 14, 15
The 0930 Incident
Tensions Rising
Avignon
The Battle Royale
Vento's invasion sparking hostility between Science and Magic
Everyone taking advantage of the heightened security in the wake of the 0930 incident
The introduction of Hamazura Shiage, and his shift from antagonist to protagonist

16, SS2, 17-18
Acqua of the Back
Gemstones
English Civil War
Acqua's shift from antagonist to protagonist

19, 20-22
DRAGON
World War III
Accelerator and Shiage involving themselves with Russia

You could release the in yearly intervals, but the decision is ultimately yours.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Really, the only way for Light Novels to ever truly take off may be through ebook editions, but that market still isn't there yet.