Dance in the Vampire Bund - Future Release Question

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Windallion

Dance in the Vampire Bund - Future Release Question

Post by Windallion »

Adam,

If you don't mind me asking. What is the approximate release time between volumes looking like in Japan? Also, it looks like you guys have been really good at keeping up (catching up even) with their releases, so if the Japanese releases are (let's say) usually four months apart...will Seven Seas schedule be four months apart too, but hit a month or so after the Japanese volume hits to account for translation, relettering, editing, etc.

So, I guess it's a four fold question.
1. How often do the Japanese volumes hit yearly.
2. How much lead time does Seven Seas need to get the Japanese volume translated, printed and on shelves?
3. Is that (Japanese release date + required lead time) the intended schedule?
4. Are these values static or variable? In other words does the manga in Japan have a deadline to meet? Do you guys once it's printed over there? Or are things kind of...get there when we get there?

Oh, and one last thing. Do we have a closing issue number for this series...or is it still open ended?

Thanks,
- Windallion
Take care when fighting monsters, that in the process you do not become a monster yourself. For when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Future Release Question

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Windallion wrote:1. How often do the Japanese volumes hit yearly.
There's no set time. 6-7 months has been somewhat the norm, though.
2. How much lead time does Seven Seas need to get the Japanese volume translated, printed and on shelves?
You need four months minimum to produce a book.

3. Is that (Japanese release date + required lead time) the intended schedule?
4. Are these values static or variable? In other words does the manga in Japan have a deadline to meet? Do you guys once it's printed over there? Or are things kind of...get there when we get there?
You have to factor in contract negotiations and materials acquisition. It's not an exact science. Regardless, though, we have to set a release date a year in advance due to the way books are sold to bookstores. It can be difficult, to say the least.

Oh, and one last thing. Do we have a closing issue number for this series...or is it still open ended?
We've been told the series will likely run 12 volumes. Which seems to be in line with where the story is heading at this point. Volume 8 and 9 are doozies.

Windallion

Post by Windallion »

Thanks for the information.

I've always wondered about the publishing side of things, but never really had the resource to field my questions before. I'd love to get in on manga/anime translating...but I know enough to know that my Japanese isn't strong enough yet, and I suppose (worse yet for manga translating) my written translation skills are even worse (kanji kicks my butt). But I'm still learning, and having fun in the process...so not all bad.

Both sad AND happy to hear that the series has a definate ending. I've seen too many books ruined because they just won't end, but I'm enjoying this one so...mixed feelings. Kind of like my boss driving off a cliff in my truck...I hate to lose the truck.

Can't wait for the new issues...eight should be showing up at my doorstep today.

Thanks again,
- Windallion
Take care when fighting monsters, that in the process you do not become a monster yourself. For when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

ninemil

Post by ninemil »

I do hope the series doesn't completely abort at twelve volumes - perhaps continue in the form of several Gaiden products, each running concurrently, but there's way too much lore and setting to explore now to just stop. We already know the reign of Lucretia and Mina Ţepeş go at least as far back as the 1900's, if not longer - there's far too much to use there to just walk away. Dammit, I'd give Vera and Lucretia a book of their own straight off, let alone the darker histories hinted at in Mina's early life, or the evolution of the current Earth Clan force. Amazing piece of work, imo.

shibumixshinigami

Post by shibumixshinigami »

sir, is there any way of knowing how long it will take for Volumes 10 and Volumes 11 to be released with English translations? can i buy them from your website? Please advice. Thanks.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

shibumixshinigami wrote:sir, is there any way of knowing how long it will take for Volumes 10 and Volumes 11 to be released with English translations? can i buy them from your website? Please advice. Thanks.
We have the release dates listed on our Bund page:
http://gomanga.com/manga/danceinthevampirebund.php

Volume 10 is July 2011
Volume 11 is January 2012

We currently don't have a store where you can order from us directly, but that may change in the future. Right now, though, you can order from Amazon.com or bookdepository.com if you're an international fan as they ship overseas.

Ashandorath

Post by Ashandorath »

Amazon.com or bookdepository.com
bookdepository.co.uk , not bookdepository.com

bookdepository.com will give you some sort of ad-site.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Ashandorath wrote:
Amazon.com or bookdepository.com
bookdepository.co.uk , not bookdepository.com

bookdepository.com will give you some sort of ad-site.
They should both take you to the same site unless something else is spelled wrong.