Gunslinger Girl - Omnibus Volumes vs original ADV releases

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
kushieda

Gunslinger Girl - Omnibus Volumes vs original ADV releases

Post by kushieda »

I already own the original ADV releases for vol 1-6, so I'm wondering if there will be any benefits to owning the new omnibus editions you are releasing. Will there be color pages included, any extra pages? Will all the original cover art still be included from the Japanese editions since you'll only have one cover per 3 volumes, etc.

While I love this series and hope to see you release volumes 7+, I currently don't see a reason to re-purchase my volumes. I'm thinking other probably feel the same way, so I'm wondering if there is any "value-added" items in your release.

I'm also hoping that if you don't get lots of purchases on the first 2 omnibuses you'll still release future volumes since I don't see them mentioned on the license page.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Omnibus Volumes vs original ADV releases

Post by Adam_Arnold »

kushieda wrote:I already own the original ADV releases for vol 1-6, so I'm wondering if there will be any benefits to owning the new omnibus editions you are releasing.
The books will feature all-new translations that use the correct names for people such as Jose. I'm sure bloggers will compare our edition to ADV's just as they have done other company's rereleases, but I'm confident that readers will find a superior reading experience from Seven seas. If you are enjoying Dance in the Vampire Bund, then you should be right at home with Gunslinger Girl's script and lettering as we have the same translator, rewriter, letterer, and editor putting their all into both of those series.

Will there be color pages included, any extra pages?
In order to offer an omnibus containing three volumes worth of manga for $15.99, it's cost prohibitive to include color pages or create brand new extras from scratch. We do include translation notes whenever space allows. Our main focus is always on the actual story, though, and ensuring the best reading experience that we can.

Will all the original cover art still be included from the Japanese editions since you'll only have one cover per 3 volumes, etc.
We're including as much of the cover and color insert artwork as we can. Again, the main focus is on the actual story portion of the book, which, in the case of omnibus collection one, is 17 entire chapters of Luc Besson-style action, intrigue, and character moments. Understandably, our main focus is on new readers that haven't ever experienced the Gunslinger Girl manga before, but we're confident that existing fans are going to appreciate the work we're putting into our editions.

kushieda

Post by kushieda »

Thanks Adam. I'll have to check out a copy in my local shop when it hits the stores. I never was a big fan of ADVs translations, so I may buy it just based on that :3

kingdomkey101

Post by kingdomkey101 »

I love what you did with the series

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

kingdomkey101 wrote:I love what you did with the series
Thank you! Glad you're enjoying it. ^_^