Wicked City - Question!

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Wetbones

Post by Wetbones »

There are a total of 11 books in the series to date. We are getting the first three, obviously:

妖獣都市Wicked City / 3 volumes

These were followed by:

凶戦鬼(妖獣都市異伝)Wicked War Demon (Wicked City Spin-Off) / 1 volume

妖獣都市《ニューヨーク魔界戦》 Wicked City: New York Demon Realm War / 2 volumes

妖獣都市 魔獣児 Wicked City: Demon Beast Child / 1 volume

妖獣都市 雪洞鬼 Wicked City: Snow Demon / 1 volume

妖獣都市 魔王眼 Wicked City: Demon King's Eye / 1 volume

妖獣都市 海死記 Wicked City: Sea Death Chronicle / 1 volume

妖獣都市 黒天使 Wicked City: Black Angel / 1 volume

I don't speak or read Japanese so those English titles are just guesses made by way of an online automatic translation website. There are most likely mistakes.

The obvious question would be if there are any plans to translate the rest of the books in the series or maybe even other horror novels by Kikuchi and the obvious answer is that it's too early for an answer. The only thing that's guaranteed is that unless the first three books sell well, there won't be any follow-ups. Remember that originally there were only plans to publish the first three Vampire Hunter D books in English but because they sold very well we're now up to 12 (!) volumes in English. The publisher has done its part, now it's up to the fans to put their money where their mouths were.

Wetbones

Re: Question!

Post by Wetbones »

Now that the third volume has been on the market for a while, I'd love to get some clarification if the remaining books will indeed be translated as well or if the series fared so poorly that the further volumes have been cancelled.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Question!

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Wetbones wrote:Now that the third volume has been on the market for a while, I'd love to get some clarification if the remaining books will indeed be translated as well or if the series fared so poorly that the further volumes have been cancelled.
Our license was for the three novels that make up the core Wicked City trilogy (The Black Guard, The Other Side, The Scarlet Clan). As far as I've heard, there are no currents plans for Tor/Seven Seas to release any of the later spin-off or side-story novels that are set in the Wicked City universe. I'm sure Tor would like to hear what you thought of the novels, though, so be sure to shoot them a tweet or email them via Tor.com.