The fate of Zero's Familiar (As well as other LN titles)

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Nimya wrote:Hmm, I see. It's too risky to release it now. But suppose that there are enough people to buy it, how would you know it?
The key here is that we're not selling to the customers directly. We have to first get store buyers to purchase the books. They're the gatekeepers of the retailer market and the ones that make the call if you're eventually going to see a book on store shelves or not.

Pijon

Post by Pijon »

You should make a poll. Just a little survey about the novels. It doesn't do any harm to you, but it might be useful :happyhappy:

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Pijon wrote:You should do poll. Just a little survey about the novels. It doesn't do any harm to you, but it might be useful :happyhappy:
It's easy to know what the results would be of a poll, so it's not necessary.

We want to find some way to put out some of the light novels we have licensed. It's a long-term goal we have and something we discuss all the time. Our current focus, though, is squarely centered on our manga line and our hit youth reader series Avalon: Web of Magic.

If you're dying for a light novel fix, you should definitely give the Wicked City novels a try. We did the production on those for our partner Tor Books, so be sure to check those out. "Wicked City: Black Guard" is out now.

Raiiii

Re: The fate of Zero's Familiar (As well as other LN titles)

Post by Raiiii »

Adam Arnold wrote:
Raiiii wrote:The major question I'm asking is this: are the licensing rights of Zero's Familiar as well as other unreleased light novels going to be dropped for other companies to release? Or is it way out of the question?
The English-language foreign rights to the first eight Zero's Familiar novels will be held by Seven Seas until the end of contract term. So no, we have no plans to drop the series.
Might I ask how long is the contract term? Or is it confidential?
(Ultra late response, I know.)
Given the fact the English release of Zero No Tsukaima anime wasn't that popular, and unfortunately got caught up in that Genon incident, I'd say this isn't looking good, from a North American perspective, it'd be bad to ever release ZnT (I wish I weren't so negative, but it's reality).

Oh, and can you list the second wave of light novels? I noticed they were taken off the site quite a while ago and I just wanted to see what other titles unfortunately got delayed and such.

After watching how Season 3 ended (Horribly I might add) I wanted to read the original... Since I'm hearing it hasn't ended yet.

Oh, and this topic's become well-rounded XD.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

can you list the second wave of light novels?
It's been a while, so I wave 2 and 3 kind of all run together now. The titles were:

Boogiepop, Zero's Familiar, Vamp!, Kanokon, Gun Princess, and Kage Kara Mamoru.

ShadowZeroHeart

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Sorry to revive this thread, but as an interested party regarding the status of these light novels, would it be possible to shed some information regarding the likelihood of the releases regarding these light novels?

For one, i am pretty interested to read Zero's Familiar and Kage Kara Mamoru. Though I can understand the reasons behind the delay or cancellation of these releases(such as cost and profit etc), us readers would like to at least know if the wait will be idle, or whether these novels will eventually be allowed to be picked up by other companies and such.

Even though you have mentioned in the other thread that Seven Seas hold the license for the novels, it would simply mean that there is no chance of us getting to read these novels until further notice. So if possible, I would like to find out more about the current situation.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

We're unable to comment on the situation further, as we are still in talks with the licensor about these properties. However, we are doing our best to change their "hold" status.

Black-Swan-Shiro113

Post by Black-Swan-Shiro113 »

Adam Arnold wrote:We're unable to comment on the situation further, as we are still in talks with the licensor about these properties. However, we are doing our best to change their "hold" status.
I'm glad to hear that Seven Seas is making an effort to get Zero's Familiar(as I am a fan of the series) into production, but I'm patient to an extent. I wanna know if you can give me an approximate time that it will take.

JakeeDylan

Post by JakeeDylan »

I hope so and I hope Zero no Tsukaima will be my first Seven Seas title! :D ( Or Haruhi if I get into that... )

Pijon

Post by Pijon »

Any luck with the light novels? Will you release them this year, or we have to wait till 2011?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Pijon wrote:Any luck with the light novels? Will you release them this year, or we have to wait till 2011?
We'll be announcing our schedule for Winter 2010 soon. However, I can confirm that the second and third volumes of Wicked City ("The Other Side" and "The Scarlet Clan") are the only novels on tap for the second half of this year.

Pijon

Post by Pijon »

That's too bad. Wicked city is good too, but it's just not my style^^" I'll buy them anyway.

But when will your license expire? No offense, but if I'm correct you licensed the other series in 2006-2007. Will you wait until the last minutes?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Pijon wrote:But when will your license expire? No offense, but if I'm correct you licensed the other series in 2006-2007. Will you wait until the last minutes?
We're unable to go into specifics about our license agreements.

tantei okuoku

Post by tantei okuoku »

JakeeDylan wrote:I hope so and I hope Zero no Tsukaima will be my first Seven Seas title! :D
agreed I also would have bought boggie bop (spelling?) and vamp. in light of success of brave story, twelve kingdoms, Full Metal Panic, vampire hunter D, Dot Hack, Haruhi, Spice and Wolf, what are the chances of some light novels getting released.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

tantei okuoku wrote:
JakeeDylan wrote:I also would have bought boggie bop (spelling?)
Boogiepop and Others, Boogiepop Returns 1 and 2, and Boogiepop at Dawn all saw a release a few years back along with the four volumes of manga. You should still be able to find some of the volumes on Amazon and used.

Info: http://gomanga.com/manga/boogiepop.php

As for other light novels, our current focus is on the Wicked City novels that we're putting together with our partner Tor Books.