Manga Adaptations of Classic Novels

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Crazyj21990

Manga Adaptations of Classic Novels

Post by Crazyj21990 »

As you all are aware most the titles that Seven Seas Entertainment have already licensed and/or published are adaptations of Classic Novels. These include Captain Nemo (adaptation of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea), Dracula Everlasting, (adaptation of Dracula, the Alice in the Country of series (adaptation of Alice in Wonderland), and Dictatorial Grimoire (adaptation of Grimm's Fairy Tales). In fact they're already working on a manga version of a classic novel.

Manga Version of Classic Novel Coming in August 2014:
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (Illustrated by Kriss Sisson)

Since it looks like that Seven Seas Entertainment is going in the direction of making and publishing manga versions of Classic novels I figured why not suggest other Classic novels that they can turn into mangas. Here's my list of suggestions...

Classic Novel Suggestions:

The Master of the World by Jules Verne
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving(I already known that Antarctic Press has already did a manga version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow but maybe Seven Seas Entertainment can still obtain their permission to make a manga version of this along with Rip Van Winkle or perhaps do something different from it.)
Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie (Although this is already being done online at crunchyroll.com but maybe Seven Seas Entertainment can obtain its permission to do a manga version of it or do something else with it as it's the original story.)
Dot and the Kangaroo by Ethel C. Pedley
Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'En
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

Please feel free to suggest other Classic novels that you feel would be just right up Seven Seas Entertainment's alley to turn in manga.

einhorn303

Re: Manga Adaptations of Classic Novels

Post by einhorn303 »

The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett
For Whom the Bell Tolls, by Ernest Hemingway
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald

...Ok, those are just some of my own favorite novels : ) But still, I think they'd work well as manga.
Avatar: Rico from Gunslinger Girl. Art by Yu Aida (相田 裕).

Souldrake

Re: Manga Adaptations of Classic Novels

Post by Souldrake »

OMG I remember watching a cartoon of Dot and the Kangaroo when I was a kid! That was... *ahem* a long time ago >.>;

Let's see if I can add some to the pile... at least interesting titles if they aren't all considered "classics"

A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle) - because the horrible horrible imagery that the movie will scar you with must be cleansed... Preferably with fire... Lots and lots of fire.
Watership Down (Richard Adams)
Treasure Island (Robert Lewis Stevenson)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Jules Verne)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Mark Twain)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
Charlotte's Web (E.B. White)
The Bridge to Terabitha (Katherine Paterson)
Redwall (Brian Jacques)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)