Angel Para Bellum

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
OverRide

Angel Para Bellum

Post by OverRide »

Before I start, I didn't see any threads about angel para bellum, so I decided to make one.
Well, I just bought it the other day and it came this morning, and wow is it good. I must say, I still can't get over the art, same person who did Dance in the vampire bund, Nozomu Tamaki so you expect quite a bit when that name comes up. The story's actually by Kent Minami and as far as I can tell, this person has never released anything else, could be wrong.

Props to the translators and proofreaders for leaving in "Onee-Chan" instead of changing it to sister.

The story itself is intriguing and definitely worth buying if you haven't already. Of course I can't say much it's only volume 1 but, it's got potential, I'm just looking forward to November when Volume 2 comes out.
The spoiler below isn't really a spoiler, but I've put it in one in case people are planning on buying and don't want any little bits of information. Though in case don't read the spoiler if you haven't already read the manga.

Every time I see the main character I'm thinking "It's a female..." but it isn't so maybe there's some kind of gender swap later, he definitely looks like a she. The angels Gabriel and Azrael where a surprise, I knew it was going to be angels but two of the big names kinda surprising. So far not really much has happened, you figure out he's a nephilim, he has two guardian angels mentioned previously. Use of guns is heavy..very. I like the angel/demon body thing, where they can only take over if they have love (angels) or hatred (demons).
On another note, how's it selling? it's only been a couple weeks but, I'd love to hear if it's doing well. It's definitely worth buying.

Chuckaduck

Re: Angel Para Bellum

Post by Chuckaduck »

Ive never read a manga before and Angel Para Bellum #1 was my very first. To be honest I am slightly disappointed. All of the action was difficult to follow, the dialogue seemed forced and corny, and above all there was far to much gratuitous sex for my liking. Hell, im as horny as the next guy, but the continuous fan service seemed a bit much, it seemed juvenile not to mention that the angels are androgynous, which spoils all the fun. The plot moved forward only very little, as the book was filled with long drawn-out fight scenes that were more confusing than entertaining. And finally, each of the characters are developed only a little. They all seem flat and boring.

Maybe this review was too harsh, but here is my first reaction to Angel Para Bellum. The premise seemed very cool, and I will be giving it a re-read, but right now I am feeling cheated out of $10 for the half-hour of shoddy entertainment.

BTW, if anybody can recommend another series for a manga-newbie, im game to try something else.

OverRide

Post by OverRide »

The naked-ness is kinda the artist's way doing things I'd say, He did Dance in The Vampire Bund (I'd recommend to read it). Admittedly it doesn't move much, but it does leave a lot of question's to be answered hence why I kinda like it, the fact that there are questions is better than having none. Personally I hope Volume 1 is just setting it up for the rest of the serious. To be honest, I didn't really care too much for the fan service admittedly there's a hell of a lot of it but, definitely not as much as some others.

Some series I'd recommend are:
Dance In The Vampire Bund (Seven Seas)
Bakuman (viz)
Gunslinger Girls (Seven Seas)
07 Ghost (Viz/Go Gumi/ someone else)
Vampire Knight (Romance/Vampires/Can't remember who publishes... I think Viz)
Black God (Yen press)
There's probably better ones but struggling to think off top of my head...what you looking for?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

VK is Viz, yes. It depends on where your interests lie as to which manga you may or may not like. If you can find any, I would recommend Takahashi Rumiko's works for a new manga reader. Good on action and comedy, but not much in the way of overt cheesecake, so you may enjoy those.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Chuckaduck

Post by Chuckaduck »

Now the OP writes that
OverRide wrote:Of course I can't say much it's only volume 1 but, it's got potential, I'm just looking forward to November when Volume 2 comes out.
. A lot of the dialog seemed forced and corny. In the opinion of anyone who has read Angel Para Bellum, is this typical of the pilot in a manga series? There was a lot of exposition laid out, in a very terse way, plus there is always the translation issue to consider.

After a re-read I've found I do like the volume much better, though Im still have trouble justifying all the boobs :D

OverRide

Post by OverRide »

Chuckaduck wrote:Now the OP writes that
OverRide wrote:Of course I can't say much it's only volume 1 but, it's got potential, I'm just looking forward to November when Volume 2 comes out.
. A lot of the dialog seemed forced and corny. In the opinion of anyone who has read Angel Para Bellum, is this typical of the pilot in a manga series? There was a lot of exposition laid out, in a very terse way, plus there is always the translation issue to consider.

After a re-read I've found I do like the volume much better, though Im still have trouble justifying all the boobs :D
Well I guess it depends on the reader, personally all the "boobs" are just there for show, I mean, we only see it when they are in house and it's not like its completely focusing in on them. I didn't get the impression the dialogue was forced/corny but I guess it's how you interpret the manga.

Well on the "typical plot" you mean leaving the reader guessing? depends. I admit it's not the best start to a manga series, but it's more interesting than others I have read. The reason why I'm looking forward to it because, it has all these questions, whats actually so special about the kid? we know what he is and what he's suppose to do and all (it's mentioned throughout the manga) but why, plus many other questions like, how did his onee-chan know about the ascension.

Akcoll99

Post by Akcoll99 »

I've been enjoying Angel Para Bellum and had already pre-ordered volumes 3 and 4 when the other day I got an update from Amazon informing me that my pre-order for volume 3 had been delayed all the way back to August. I went just now to check if the date for volume 4 had been pushed back when I noticed that neither volume 3 or 4 are even LISTED on Amazon anymore!

Is there an issue with the series that have caused these volumes to be delayed (and hopefully not cancelled)?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Akcoll99 wrote:I've been enjoying Angel Para Bellum and had already pre-ordered volumes 3 and 4 when the other day I got an update from Amazon informing me that my pre-order for volume 3 had been delayed all the way back to August. I went just now to check if the date for volume 4 had been pushed back when I noticed that neither volume 3 or 4 are even LISTED on Amazon anymore!

Is there an issue with the series that have caused these volumes to be delayed (and hopefully not cancelled)?
The Japanese publisher Flex Comix recently came under new management with lots of staff changes. We're working on trying to license the new volumes, it's just really slow going.

Akcoll99

Post by Akcoll99 »

Ok, thanks Adam! Good luck with the licensing, it's been a very enjoyable series so far!

OverRide

Post by OverRide »

Thanks adam and akcoll99, I only order nearer the time of publishing so I didn't notice the push back, thanks for the info.

While I am here, Angel Para Bellum vol 2 was better than vol 1 imo.

Skoopman

Post by Skoopman »

Any news on Angel Para Bellum? The German publisher Tokyopop seems to have the same problem as you, it's really sad. Some online retailers still list volume 3 for May 2013.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Skoopman wrote:Any news on Angel Para Bellum? The German publisher Tokyopop seems to have the same problem as you, it's really sad. Some online retailers still list volume 3 for May 2013.
Flex Comix is currently not doing any foreign licensing at all.

Weertangel

Post by Weertangel »

From what i heard from the place where i buy my manga the series seems to have slowed to a crawl in japan as well, no idea why, but a good guess is the author has some personal problems.
only way know for sure is to check the japanese forums, assuming u know kanji...

Skoopman

Post by Skoopman »

According to the newsletter of the German Publisher "Tokyopop", the negotiations between the Japanese Publisher Flexcomics and Tamaki have failed. Angel Para Bellum will be canceled. Can you tell us, if we will get volume 3 and 4 at least?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Skoopman wrote:According to the newsletter of the German Publisher "Tokyopop", the negotiations between the Japanese Publisher Flexcomics and Tamaki have failed. Angel Para Bellum will be canceled. Can you tell us, if we will get volume 3 and 4 at least?
Who knows. Flex isn't licensing anything outside of Japan right now. (Not to us, not to France, etc.)

It's all wait and see.