Materials needed to make a manga? All of them?

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

sugary+crisis

Materials needed to make a manga? All of them?

Post by sugary+crisis »

Heeeey. I'm new. Nice to meet you~ Anyway ^^
I'm going to create a doujinshi with my friend and I was wondering if I was missing any materials. I have just recently ordered:
A set of copic pens
A few packs of copic markers
Copic A4 pure white paper (is that what it should be?)
Screentone sheets
Comic Fonts and speech bubbles
And my friend also has Sai and a tablet.
I am looking out for these mechanical pencils my friend has, they're .5 and are very light in color so that the pencil markings won't show up on the scanner and only the ink will. Is there anything I'm missing? Please help ^^ Thanks~

shutupadrian

Re: Materials needed to make a manga? All of them?

Post by shutupadrian »

Hello. Welcome.

Sounds like you got everything, I think. Maybe just a non-photo blue pencil for underlying sketches, but that isn't all that necessary.

(Hopefully your comic fonts is more than just comic sans. :D )

blueyoshimenace

Post by blueyoshimenace »

YOU FOOL! Make sure you have a long clear ruler! And a malleable eraser!

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

Sounds just about right, all that might be missing is motivation, but last I checked I can't buy that on amazon yet = w = good luck~
ImageImage

sugary+crisis

Post by sugary+crisis »

shutupadrian wrote:Hello. Welcome.

Sounds like you got everything, I think. Maybe just a non-photo blue pencil for underlying sketches, but that isn't all that necessary.

(Hopefully your comic fonts is more than just comic sans. :D )
Yeah, my friend said she got her light pencils from jetpen.com, but I couldn't find them so I'm going to have to ask her about that... and yeah, I bought a bunch of fonts xD

sugary+crisis

Post by sugary+crisis »

blueyoshimenace wrote:YOU FOOL! Make sure you have a long clear ruler! And a malleable eraser!
O_O Oh, but of course xD

sugary+crisis

Post by sugary+crisis »

yesterdayshero wrote:Sounds just about right, all that might be missing is motivation, but last I checked I can't buy that on amazon yet = w = good luck~
Oh, lol. I got plenty of motivation >w<//

Jojoluvs

Post by Jojoluvs »

Sounds good, it looks like you have everything.
Just a suggestion, maybe you should try using a .3 mechanical pencil; the lead is very light and it's also useful for drawing fine details.

ChewbaccaStomper

Post by ChewbaccaStomper »

I can tell you that I personally would be using 11X17 (inches) Canson Fanboy Comic and Manga Board for my paper. I also draw bigger (10X15 inch image area,) because if I make a small mistake, it will be less noticeable when it gets shrunk down to reading size. I love that paper. It works great with holding ink, and it's very durable. I also use plastic erasers, and metal rulers with the cork backing on them. It sounds like you have a pretty solid grasp on a lot of the materials that you would need though. Always remember to have a TON of reference on hand as well. Everyone is different with their materials and art making process, so what works for me, won't necessarily be what's best for you. Good luck!
chewbaccastomper.tumblr.com <--- Check out my artwork!

It's been a long time since I've been around. Hopefully not too much has changed!