Help please.

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

redprincess

Help please.

Post by redprincess »

I'm trying to draw my character on a weird angle but I'm having trouble. I always have trouble drawing people from bird/worm eye views. I try doing the box method. Where you draw a rectangular box, divide it into 7-8 equal parts and use the top part for the head and continue to draw down from there. I tried it with this picture but he looked really weird, and the length looked soooo odd, so I did adjust it a bit myself but he still look a bit wide and flat.

If you know a good tutorial or book or can explain how to draw not weird looking people in different angles that would be just awesome! I'll also take some feedback on this, although I'm not sure how to make him look less like a bar of soap and more like a person. lol

yesterdayshero

Re: Help please.

Post by yesterdayshero »

It looks fine to me, except maybe for the right sholder is a little too low(?) dunno if this helps...
ImageImage

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

redprincess wrote:
If you know a good tutorial or book or can explain how to draw not weird looking people in different angles that would be just awesome! I'll also take some feedback on this, although I'm not sure how to make him look less like a bar of soap and more like a person. lol
I'd recommend life drawing classes over tutorial books, personally. I really think it was guided classes that had helped me the most with getting human proportions looking proper. Point is, I think practicing gesture figure drawing would help you nail those perspectives and proportions. Get your friends to pose for you if you have to, but keep each session quick, don't put in a lot of detail. Just get enough of a sense of the pose to figure out proportions. I mention this, because once you figure out how each piece of anatomy relates to each other, it's easier to figure out how it tapers off in perspective.

By my eye your character's left shoulder (our right) is a bit high, a bit wide. The upper arm is a bit long. That bend in the arm should be up a bit higher. Given the perspective, we'd probably be seeing less of the shoulder and sleeve, in fact.

Actually, the other shoulder (our left, his right) seems also a bit wide. Maybe you could just try to make the head larger.

Then again, I've been wrong before.

sarydactl

Post by sarydactl »

It's all in the ears! If the character is looking up, the ears should be lower than the eyes. If the character is looking down, the ears should be higher than the eyes. And, yknow, all that stuff everyone else said.

Also, the left arm is too long, compared to the rest of the body.