Conventions!

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

redprincess

Conventions!

Post by redprincess »

Are you going to any? Are you going to set up in Artist Alley if you can?

redprincess

Re: Conventions!

Post by redprincess »

I applied to Otakon's artist alley but I'm on a waiting list. I dont know if I'd sell my art or not, I dont thinbk anyone would buy it. Lol But maybe if I start a webcomic I can get people who enjoy my stuff and then sell the books... maybe. lol

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

To be honest, I don't attend cons much in the first place, and I'm actually a little unclear as to the purpose of an Artist Alley.

I imagine it's useful for self-promo and networking, but I wonder how useful it actually is.

Thoughts?

MrUnReady

Post by MrUnReady »

I had a table at Anime Expo last year and I'm going to have one this year too. I think it's amazing to see ppl buying the art in person. *v* And there is a lot of competition if you draw the same thing (Like fanart).... If you make your own OCs then that's a little harder to get noticed. Most of the ppl shopping artiest Alley are there to buy fanart sadly, but then, most of the artiest ally just sell fanart stuff cause it makes money. >__> Though, even if you don't sell whole bunch from your own work, your name and work are out there outside the internet. It's worth it.
ⓛ____ⓛ;

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

I've noticed that alot of people sell fanart. Some only have that. It's slightly disappointing. I went to Anime Boston yesterday and the artist alley rarely had anything worth it (as far as original artwork) A few had amazing works and sold out of small size prints (I told them I'd hit it up at another con for them). I was really hoping to buy some private comics. I'll have to try again at otakon. :<

cetriya

Post by cetriya »

yeah Anime boston is really a fan art con so I don't go. I'm doing alright now with my original stuff, but I'm going to take a break. Not because of not making as much as fan artists, more because its such a hassel to go to the cons that would be worth it.

I'd say, keep to a local and cheap con and grow from there.

in order for you to sell original stuff, you're art has to be really good and some what general enough for people to put on their wall. so it shouldn't be too character centric.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

I was always kinda ewww about cons so I really don't care for them, in fact even though I draw manga I'm still eww about it as well, if anybody asks I'm writing a novel and making mixes LOL
ImageImage

blueyoshimenace

Post by blueyoshimenace »

I have an artist alley table at Fanime this year. I live right around the corner, so I've been going for six years. I'm cosplaying luffy :P I did poison with my boyfriend last year, but we've significantly lost weight and toned up this time around :D

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

I was wondering, where to people get their art printed for conventions, what sizes and how much to sell them for. I kinda want to give it a go but I'm not 100% sure yet.

cetriya

Post by cetriya »

redprincess wrote:I was wondering, where to people get their art printed for conventions, what sizes and how much to sell them for. I kinda want to give it a go but I'm not 100% sure yet.

take a look at this thread: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/art-dis ... 1610915_1/

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

cetriya wrote:
redprincess wrote:I was wondering, where to people get their art printed for conventions, what sizes and how much to sell them for. I kinda want to give it a go but I'm not 100% sure yet.

take a look at this thread: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/art-dis ... 1610915_1/

Thanks thats helpful. I'm working on a few fanart pieces but I always feel weird about drawing fanart.

cetriya

Post by cetriya »

don't do it if you don't feel comfortable doing it

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

well if its what sells or atleast brings people to your table I dont mind drawing a few pieces. I've recently drawn one of black rock shooter. I dont know if its any good but WTH right?

Lewmus

Post by Lewmus »

redprincess wrote:I applied to Otakon's artist alley but I'm on a waiting list.
Same here, lol. Seems to be a lot of other people in the same position going by Otakon's message boards.
It should give us time to get better for next year, though.
Otakon does have a 50/50 rule and a sale limit on fanart for the obedient, too.

If you don't get in, though, it can be a good idea to share tables with someone who did.

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

This was the first year I was able to actually get the chance to register for artist alley at otakon, I got to it withing the first 30 minutes of it opening, HOWEVER I did not get a slot right away so now I'm in the random lottery system. Mer. I dont know anyone else who got in, I'd like to share, so I can spend half the time enjoying the con and the other half selling my art.