How you started

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

yesterdayshero

How you started

Post by yesterdayshero »

Ok kids, this threads all about how you started drawing what were, and are your influences...
I'll start it off.... - -'

Age when started: 16 years-old.
Years drawing: 5 years
First manga/comic that inspired you to become an artist: Chobits vol.2
Favourite genre: Shojo/Josei, Guro
Favourite artist: Suehiro Mauro
Your Holy Grail, what you want to draw like someday: Nijigahara Holograph by Inio Asano
What you hate to see story-wise: Shitty dialog, werid Japanese names I can't remember, too much Japanese culture, High School kids save the world type stories.
What you hate to see art-wise: Loli, the open wide eyes and open mouth, moe to an extent.
What do you listen to when you draw/write: Noise/Electro
How many hours do you draw a day: 8-10 hours daily

~~~

That's it add more if you feel like it.... ~_~
ImageImage

sarydactl

Re: How you started

Post by sarydactl »

Age when started: 14 yo
Years drawing: 6 years
First manga/comic that inspired you to become an artist: None; I was inspired to draw my own petpage layouts on neopets XD . I didn't even pick up a manga until 16 or 17...but the manga at that time was Jing: King of Bandits. Still didn't quite inspire me artistically, though :9 .
Favourite genre: Supernatural/Shounen, wew! The only genre I avoid is Historical, because...history is my weakness OTL .
Favourite artist: None, this is too vague for me :9 .
Your Holy Grail, what you want to draw like someday: Eiichiro Oda. He has a very unique style (not even shonen-like), and innate understanding of stories, and has been able to keep the story interesting for OVER SIX HUNDRED CHAPTERS (my god, that is a LOT, and it is all SO GOOD).
What you hate to see story-wise: Can't say precisely.
What you hate to see art-wise: I don't know.
(For both of these questions, it really varies. A good example is--I LOVE dragons. Dragonriding, dragon cultures, etc, SO COOL. But if something is done wrong, I dislike that. I also won't pit my money behind a series where I can predict the dialogue before it happens. This...is a more common problem then you'd think OTL . I guess I don't like fan service too much either, what a waste of time when the story could be progressing, lol.)
What do you listen to when you draw/write: Depends on what I am drawing! Pretty much any good song will do, normally on repeat, tho sometimes I listen to youtube playlists or mugasha. Videogame osts work especially well, though sometimes nostalgia can distract me...I listen to music without vocals when writing prose, and no music at all when writing poetry (it messes with my poem's rhythm, gotta keep the ears open for /that/).
How many hours do you draw a day: Drastically varies, can spend all day via straight drawing, or zero time at all.

MrUnReady

Post by MrUnReady »

Age when started drawing comisc/manga: 7
Years drawing: 20
First manga/comic that inspired you to become an artist: TV
Favourite genre: Magical Girl
Favourite artist: God and Buster.
Your Holy Grail, what you want to draw like someday: I want to keep drawing like me but better.
What you hate to see story-wise: Slice of Life. Slow moving plots. BL.GL.
What you hate to see art-wise: Stupid Moe/loli/BL looking things. Stuff that looks like I have seen before.
What do you listen to when you draw/write: Techo/Nico Nico Doug singers.
How many hours do you draw a day: 3- 10 hours (When I have something to draw. >__<; )
Fuel when drawing: Green Tea
Speed?: draw 6 pages a day- Ink 4 pages a day - Tone 10 pages a day
Weakness: Being distracted by the internet.
ⓛ____ⓛ;

lashagiorgi

Post by lashagiorgi »

Age when started : 12

Years working : 6 (1 year lost because of national exams)

what did I begin with : poetry,influental ideas,now novels

Favourite genre : Action,comedy,romance,sci-fi,ecchi(ones that LMAO)

Unfavourite genre : Harem(one part of it)

Favourite Artist : Noone in particular,like many though

What you hate to see story-wise : useless dialog,when they repeat one and the same thing over and over ; Harem storieis,where the hero/heroine can't decide whom will he/she love.

What you hate to see art-wise : Wide open eyes and mouth.

What do you listen to when you draw/write : It dependes on what genre am I writing on that particular time(the music that inspires the scene)

How many hours do you write a day : 5-7 hours per page

Fuel when writing : 1.Some music 2.coffee,Whisky 3.sweets(mostly chocolate)

How long does it take to complete one chapter : 2-5 days(depends on story and length)

Infromation source : My knowledge,books,google.

Weakness : eternity of time and space,where I'm lost to find myself.

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

Age when started: Well I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil, but only seriously since I was 14
Years drawing: long time...long
First manga/comic that inspired you to become an artist: I dunno inspired but Wish is what got me into manga. I did read Sonic the Hedgehog comics before that.
Favourite genre: Josei, Shonen, Supernatural
Favourite artist: Sumomo Yumeka, Nanae Chrono, Tite Kubo and Minekura Kazuya (I can't pick just one)
Your Holy Grail, what you want to draw like someday: I...want to draw like me. :) I like various things from artists, but I don't want to draw like anyone.
What you hate to see story-wise: When stories go on too much of a tangent (extreme fillers) or when a girl gets kidnapped like a ditz. It turns me off of that character.
What you hate to see art-wise: Meh...I suppose unfinished pages (I can understand why it happens but I dislike seeing it)
What do you listen to when you draw/write: Depends on what I'm doing. Anything from pop to death metal to new age to classical (and from any culture)
How many hours do you draw a day: hmm, days I work maybe 2hrs, days I don't depends, could be 1, could be 8hrs, rarely do I go over 8hrs, and thats usually consecutive.

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

Age when started: Unknown
Years drawing: Seemingly forever (Seriously. I don't remember when I started drawing.)
First manga/comic that inspired you to become an artist: Todd McFarlane's run on Amazing Spider-Man and Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira.
Favourite genre: Action
Favourite artist: Katsuhiro Otomo, Rumiko Takahashi, Masamune Shirow
Your Holy Grail, what you want to draw like someday: As someone else had said, I want to draw like myself. Otomo is a heavy influence, but it's meaningless if I just draw exactly like him.
What you hate to see story-wise: No sense of humor. No sense of fun.
What you hate to see art-wise: Stiffness. Lack of dynamism.
What do you listen to when you draw/write: While drawing - Podcasts (wordballoon) or whatever happens to be in my iTunes. While writing, tend to need orchestral or instrumental music.
How many hours do you draw a day: 3-4 hours daily. Wish it was more, but there's this day job thing.

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Age when started: ...I'm not sure.
Years drawing: ...I'm not sure.
First manga/comic that inspired you to become an artist: Love Hina
Favourite genre: Action, Fantasy, Medieval, Horror, Psychological
Favorite Demographic: Seinen and Shonen
Favourite artist: Kiyohiko Azuma
Your Holy Grail, what you want to draw like someday: I want to draw well enough to satisfy myself.
What you hate to see story-wise: A lot. I'm very nitpicky, even when it comes to my favorite series, I still get super prissy about small things.
What you hate to see art-wise: Super shiny anything, loli/shota, the obviousness of some art that try copy an artist (seriously, try to find your own style)
What do you listen to when you draw/write: Varies, I listen to all genres.
How many hours do you draw a day: I'm lazy. So yeah...not much.

To be honest...I'm not much of a manga reader anymore. This was hard.

tgyenpress

Post by tgyenpress »

Age when started -- drawing as a whole?: Kindergarten. I seem to recall a very distant memory of me trying to trace a circle but I couldn't do it. >__> Now, I can't tell if that was a dream of childhood or an actual memory, but whatever it was, it's still vivid in my head.

Age when started -- drawing the Asian/Japanese style: Sometime somewhere in junior high when Sailor Moon was pretty popular on VHS and 6:30 AM EST airings on TV in the US. =.=;; At that time, I acted just like any newbie into the whole Japanese animation/comic world so I pretty much imitated the anime Sailor Moon artwork. When I got older, of course, it dawned on me that I was doing everything wrong.

Years drawing: I'm not going to give specifics, but I'll just repeat: since kindergarten. (I don't know about pre-school as I don't remember anything....)

First manga/comic that inspired you to become a [manga] artist: I can't really credit the Sailor Moon era as that was more anime based. So, I would have to go with several manga that were once serialized in Nakayoshi. That includes Cardcaptor Sakura. Back then, several of the Nakayoshi manga were not localized into English so I had to rely on online translated scripts in order to read the manga. (So yeah, way back before scanlations existed. -,-)

I did read the Sonic Archie comics while growing up, but the most it ever inspired me to do was do some Sonic fanart. The Disney Adventure comics didn't really inspire me to do anything. Other comics, such as Bone and Calvin & Hobbes, did absolutely nothing but entertain me.

Favourite manga style: Mostly, shoujo and josei. There are a few shounen titles that are an exception due to their plots and characters. And once in awhile, I will also take a peek at a seinen to see if it's ok.

Favorite reading genre: Whatever has a positive side in itself. Whether it be action/adventure or a tragedy. If it has a good ending, I'll bait on it. I mostly prefer stuff with action/adventure in it, but, I'm open for any kind of genre. My least favorite genre would be horror, but that of itself, has a few exceptions. >__o

Favourite mangaka? Too many to name. Sample list: CLAMP, Megumi Tachikawa, Yukiru Sugisaki, Natsumi Ando, Ayumi Shiina, Tama Yugyoji, Maki Hakoda, Katsura Hoshino, Takeshi Obata... And for manhwaga: Young-You Lee

Your Holy Grail, what you want to draw like someday: No one. I want to draw the way I am doing it and not be like someone.

What you hate to see story-wise: Filler, filler, filler, vampires, high school cliche romances, over-use of the "red string of fate" cliche, dull plots, bad writing, weak characters, uenmotional characters, lack of character development, lack of character background, very dark writing, usage of excessive profanity... In particular for non-Japanese manga that takes place in Japan: the wrong usage of Japanese words. If people are going to use Japanese in their stories, at least have their characters say the proper wording. At the same time, using the infamous Japanese "otakuglish" words is a big no-no in my book as well. Honorifics are okay and an occassional greeting is okay, but, an abuse on the word "kawaii" deserves a small whack. :D
Lastly, I'm not a fan of the GL/BL/yaoi department.

What you hate to see art-wise: Moe, anything inspired by moe, goth/loli (although, some exceptions for those), beach scenes, copy-cat artists (definitely), pretty boy and girl harlems, fan-service, disturbed imagery, (more of a dislike/annoyance) people in maid costumes, etc.

What do you listen to when you draw/write: Soundtracks for movies, musicals, etc.

How many hours do you draw a day: 0-?? hours a day. That's right. Zeeerooo. I can go a day or a month without drawing.

Misaki Tetsuya

Post by Misaki Tetsuya »

Age when started: 6 years old.

Years drawing: 11 years and counting.

First manga/comic that inspired you to become an artist: Pokemon Adventures

Favourite genre: Shonen, Romance, Psychological

Favourite artist: Obata Takeshi and Kentaro Yabuki

Your Holy Grail, what you want to draw like someday: Obata's style, being able to use it for any genre he wants.

What you hate to see story-wise: Weak shojo-ish plots, random 'chosen one' character, a busybody protagonist who butts into everything.

What you hate to see art-wise: Ladies that look like men. And moeblob stuff.

What do you listen to when you draw/write: Usually trance or rock?

How many hours do you draw a day: ... Uh... *procrastinates*