Artist materials

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

lod

Artist materials

Post by lod »

If you're an artist, what kind of pen and ink do you use? Markers? Types of paper? And if you do digital coloring, what program do you prefer?

yesterdayshero

Re: Artist materials

Post by yesterdayshero »

regular pen, gpen, cardstock, color must be digital ps cs3, i love markers though
ImageImage

Dai

Post by Dai »

I used Sakura Pigma Micron Pens back when I still drew on paper. You have to be careful though, because the tips are pretty delicate.

lod

Post by lod »

The reason I ask is because I have tried out a bunch of ink with Gpen, some are too thick (Artworks super black india ink), some too transparent (higgins), some bleed on bristol (koh-i-noor). I managed to do some mixing to get the consistency I want, but it might be the paper that is the problem. I use copic, sakura, and staedtler pigment liner as well, but they just can't beat the Gpen.
For digital stuff, I only use PS for color adjustment and effects. I like Corel painter better. More a painterly feel with the tools.

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

So G-Pen is THE nib to go with?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding my brief look at the googles, but are there different brands of G-Pen? Which is the recommended brand?

Also, if anyone can recommend a site to buy from (that ships to Canada) that'd be much appreciated.

And, since I haven't tried nibs before, is there anything else I should know? Like, about cleaning the nibs and such? Anything else I should get? Pen holder, obviously, but is a cleaning solvent necessary?

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

I use Deleter G-pens, Akadot.com ships everywhere I think but not sure, I just clean with water...
ImageImage

blueyoshimenace

Post by blueyoshimenace »

I use Canson comic paper, a mechanical pencil, a stretchy eraser, black cat india ink, and Gpen nibs. I clean the nibs as I draw with toilet paper and my saliva. It works, so MEH.

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

So I googled some more.

Has anyone found any significant differences between the different brands of g-pen nibs? Akadot alone has Nikko (I.C.), Deleter, Tachikawa, and Zebra.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

I've only used Deleter brand, so I have no clue. Just pick one and run with it lol, I like Deleter because I have Comicworks that's also from Deleter. I'm a Deleterfag...
ImageImage

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

If you find your ink is running/bleeding, you may want to wear gloves or put down paper towels when you draw. Sometimes your skin's oils will cause the ink the bleed when its on the paper. I use a chopped up costume glove, it works for me.

I use either IC or Deleter paper, G-nib with speedball india ink, and a stiff white/pink eraser. For computer I use photoshop. The only problem I have is when I want to white areas out. I have a variety of inks but none of them apply well to nib pens, so I have to use a brush, which blows. My Deleter White 1 works nicely, it will thicken but not fast and drys fine. My aishi comic Super White is thick and covers areas with a stroke but... its thick and constantly needs stirring, not to mention it drys fast... too fast, still on the brush fast. The 3rd white I try is Liquitex Ink! acrylic titanium white. This one is think and can be used with a nib, however, it requires a few coats before it covers the black. :< However none of these allow you to color over them with marker, they just dont absorb the pigment.

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

Well looky what the mailman brought today. Thankfully got it in before Canada Post goes on strike.

Zebra Comic Nib - G Model - Chrome - Pack of 10
Tachikawa Comic Nib Holder - Model 40
Got it through jetpens.com

Had it in stock. Delivered within a week. I'm excited.

Now to see if them there nibs are as good as all that.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

I have the same holder just that mine is all wood no rubber holder...yummy nibs...
ImageImage

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

I have the same holder as yesterdayshero. I have a few gtips but I always go back to the first one, it flows the best, oddly enough. I dunno. I do know once, my friend once joked that I would stab her with my pen (from something she said) and I said, I'd never do that, the pen and nib runs about 12 bucks! Too expensive to use to stab her with... and oddly enough she was a bit offended. o___o lawl.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

Get your oldest most worn out nib and stab her with it, that will make her feel better~
ImageImage

sugary+crisis

Post by sugary+crisis »

I remember reading in a book that there are 3 types of nibs manga artists use. One of them was G pen, I believe that was for the thicker lines, but there was another for normal lines and thin lines, like inside an eye or shading. Just thought that should be shared~ Although I'd use copic pens/markers and Sai for digital work. But I think they're all pretty pro, micron's pretty good too, so I don't believe you can really go wrong with any of those brands.