Still alive...

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

StrateryB

Re: Still alive...

Post by StrateryB »

Random, drawn just because I miss color pencils.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

fucken sweet
ImageImage

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

yesterdayshero wrote:fucken sweet
Thanks.

Something out of boredom, tons of mistakes but I don't really care since it's just fanart. I never seem to draw Miku with Kaito, just his scarf...oh well.

Working on an idea for a practice webcomic, not sure what yet though since I have several ideas. Likely something short because I don't have the patience or dedication for something long running, and it is just for practice so who gives a hoot.

Dai

Post by Dai »

Nice. Ever considered participating in one of those Original Character Tournaments at DeviantART? Some of them only takes a little bit of your drawing or leisure time, and it's good practice too.

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Dai wrote:Nice. Ever considered participating in one of those Original Character Tournaments at DeviantART? Some of them only takes a little bit of your drawing or leisure time, and it's good practice too.
Hey there, long time...no login. Because I'm dead like that.

I've never heard of those...what are they?

Oh, and I didn't even draw this but I wanted to share because I love it.
From an art trade. I'm abusing this picture so badly.

Dai

Post by Dai »

StrateryB wrote:I've never heard of those...what are they?
Original Character Tournaments (OCTs, for short) are comic tournaments where artists pits their original characters against other characters made by different artists. It's basically a fighting tournament where half of the characters in the tournament roster gets eliminated in each round. Here's how it works:

First, the artists submit a reference sheet of their character for the OCT, then a panel of judges will pair up the characters against another character. Here we have *ShikakuSuika's mech pilot Steffi and Benzene, paired up against ~Unknown-person's living, resin statue, Karl.

*ShikakuSuika's Steffi and Benzene
~Unknown-person's Karl

Now, ShikakuSuika's job is to make an entry where Steffi and Benzene wins a battle against Karl, while Unknown-person's job is to make an entry where Karl wins a battle against Steffi and Benzene. The artists have around three weeks to create and submit their entries. Once they're both in, the judges will choose which character(s) will proceed to the next round by deciding which entry is better than the other.

*ShikakuSuika's entry: [link]
~Unknown-person's entry: [link]

zen999

Post by zen999 »

your last two pics...
nice expressionism!
and the eyepatch is
always a nice touch.
the eyepatches i draw
turn out looking like
little raviolis, but maybe
my characters are just getting
in touch with their inner
italians.
Where would I be without you, photoshop?
[img]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/zennius999/zenfire6xu.gif[/img]

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Dai wrote:
StrateryB wrote:I've never heard of those...what are they?
Original Character Tournaments (OCTs, for short) are comic tournaments where artists pits their original characters against other characters made by different artists. It's basically a fighting tournament where half of the characters in the tournament roster gets eliminated in each round. Here's how it works:

First, the artists submit a reference sheet of their character for the OCT, then a panel of judges will pair up the characters against another character. Here we have *ShikakuSuika's mech pilot Steffi and Benzene, paired up against ~Unknown-person's living, resin statue, Karl.

*ShikakuSuika's Steffi and Benzene
~Unknown-person's Karl

Now, ShikakuSuika's job is to make an entry where Steffi and Benzene wins a battle against Karl, while Unknown-person's job is to make an entry where Karl wins a battle against Steffi and Benzene. The artists have around three weeks to create and submit their entries. Once they're both in, the judges will choose which character(s) will proceed to the next round by deciding which entry is better than the other.

*ShikakuSuika's entry: [link]
~Unknown-person's entry: [link]
Oh wait...I think I know a few, like SDL? Er-but I don't know a lot of them...

Seems fun...actually might consider it. Still, I don't know if I have the dedication to actually draw out an action scene, but it's worth a shot and good practice. Or really for that matter, I'm pretty sure I lack the confidence to draw a decent action scene. Tahaha...I might end up pushing my sister to join an OCT as well just to motivate me xD or Meli, her too...
But again, seems like fun.

And also...Unknown-person's entry is just "wow".
zen999 wrote:your last two pics...
nice expressionism!
and the eyepatch is
always a nice touch.
the eyepatches i draw
turn out looking like
little raviolis, but maybe
my characters are just getting
in touch with their inner
italians.
Thanks a bunch!

Humm, I love eyepatches but I think they're difficult to draw. Maybe it's because it's supposed to be on your face, I always seems to draw just some square flat on haha.

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Drawn for Meli's birthday, she asked for our OCs in an Alice in Wonderland theme. Also it's my "Happy Halloween" pic because I'm lazy like that. Colors are killed but it's alright anyway.

This is basically the entire cast save for two characters currently in development. Some of the character designs have changed a bit, but it's nothing too drastic.

Alice - Abelia
White Rabbit - Alastor
Cheshire Cat - Sulin
Mad Hatter - Veiger
March Hare - Sigmund
Tweedledee & Tweedledum - Gaius and Elias
Hearts - Agnese
Diamonds - Normin
Clubs - Elisabet
Spades - Arion
Queen of Hearts - Principal

Bleh.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

@_@
ImageImage

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

I should be finishing other things but oh well, I'm so lazy.

My OC from a romantic comedy I write with my sister, he's my little uke ♥
Tried to go shoujo for good-looking but I couldn't stand it so it ended up being a mixture of shoujo and my own style. I don't know what surreal was supposed to be (since people did so many different things) so I just drew whatever. Tried to draw in Meli's style but failed so hard.

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Freaking hell these are bigger than I thought...

Been doing a lot of art trades, just one more to go and I'm done for the fall. Actually found an OCT that I'm planning to join, almost finished with the template but I just hate coloring >.>

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Really quick sketch comic. Alastor secretly likes cute things, and Abelia likes him. Yeah.
Personally, I don't like Nekomura Iroha, but whatever.

For an OCT on DeviantArt, GambleSuits. My sister joined as well, here's her character. Fairly small group, but why not check it out if you have the time? (yep, this is somewhat of a plug)

Ta-ta and Happy Halloween.

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

For GambleSuits.

My character's entrance into the dimension, Aion.

Done in pencil, had nothing better to do atm.

EDIT:
Forgot about this.

Just wanted to share because I think W.I.Ps are fun to look at. Excited, halfway through my third short story~
Not sure if I'll ever share though, maybe the next one.

I do everything traditionally, so scanner kind of killed some details here and there.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

lol "holy fucking shit"
ImageImage