Still alive...

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

StrateryB

Re: Still alive...

Post by StrateryB »

Dai wrote:Try to keep all of the text within the same size if you're planning to write all of it by hand.
Also, it'll be nice if you can keep the text evenly spaced within the speech bubbles.
Yeah, text has always been my problem. That's actually me attempting to have nice handwriting.
yesterdayshero wrote:wizards?
Hehe, unfortunately no. The story is based on the stereotypical "heroes" and "villains", in this case both males are villains.
So far, there are six villains (2 females and 4 males) and five heroes (1 female and 4 males). I draw most of the villain cast, only one hero.

Gardenia

Post by Gardenia »

Dai wrote:Try to keep all of the text within the same size if you're planning to write all of it by hand.
Also, it'll be nice if you can keep the text evenly spaced within the speech bubbles.
Haha, if StrateryB intended for it to be legible enough in order for people to read it, it would be a recommendation to consider!! lol
Though of course not entirely necessary on part for it is just a quick project of entertainment rather an aim for professionalism.
Dai wrote:Alastor's left fist looks flat.
Yes, thank you for pointing that out. I noticed that after the rough sketch but being lazy and running out of time I left it as it is. lol
But yeah, I still believe I should practice on that particular motion so that I won't be so inept in illustrating it the next time. : p
Thank you

DawnBandit

Post by DawnBandit »

StrateryB wrote:So far, there are six villains (2 females and 4 males) and five heroes (1 female and 4 males). I draw most of the villain cast, only one hero.
Are we running into Blue Bishonen Ghetto territory here?

Gardenia

Post by Gardenia »

DawnBandit wrote:
StrateryB wrote:So far, there are six villains (2 females and 4 males) and five heroes (1 female and 4 males). I draw most of the villain cast, only one hero.
LOL We didn't intend that. We didn't even contemplate on what audience this is directed towards! Just so happens that Mel and StraB only came up with less females than males.
I wasn't expecting they would actually pair up the main villain and the main heroine, so I took out my female and replaced her with a male character. To mark his relevance, we made him gay....But considering the three adult males we have in this story (especially the man with wild, long hair and of obvious middle age), I'm not sure they would attract a female crowd. lol But with seemingly shonen characters (mostly consisted of StraB's characters) and a bunch romance and comedy thrown in, this would attract a moderate female audience anyways. lol

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

DawnBandit wrote:
If we are wow, didn't notice.

Most of the characters were created and designed by me, so I guess that must be my fault haha. I prefer male characters, so I ended up with that unequal balance. The only male characters that really provide any sort of service is most likely Alastor and Gaius (younger twin), at least..so far. I'm more for the more obvious ecchi/service on females/males, whereas Meliona is more for innocent fanservice on males. May turn out like a Blue Bishonen Ghetto if I lean towards what Meliona prefers...

Dai

Post by Dai »

Do you guys have anything new yet?

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Dai wrote:Do you guys have anything new yet?
Nothing 'new', but I just realized that I never posted these up:

Originally done on Feb. 8, 2010
Based on one of my teachers.
He was always late and always had something weird with him. One time, he had coffee on his pants, white cream on his face, a muddy briefcase, etc, etc.

Also taken at an angle, you can see the first comic in the back...
This was done before Normin was redesigned, so you can see how pretty he was in the second panel. This took me like...five minutes to do? No real effort but it was done for fun anyway.

Originally done on Feb. 5, 2010

Most of Meliona's characters. Sulin is a sadist who's in love with Abelia. Her father, Arion, is quite the over protective one though.

Dai

Post by Dai »

StrateryB wrote:Image
Original Characters for a collaboration story I'm doing with my friend "Meliona". The story itself is an action/comedy playing on the idea of heroes and villains. I would say more, but I rather not rant if there's no interest.
Well, I've become interested with it lately.

So are you guys planning to start the comic soon? It seems like you already have everything to start it; the characters, the setting, and the basic plot. Plus, you already have the capability to draw it. Since none of you are aiming for professionalism, then you really don't need to spend time practicing. You guys could be using all that time to put the pages together instead.

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Dai wrote:
StrateryB wrote:Image
Original Characters for a collaboration story I'm doing with my friend "Meliona". The story itself is an action/comedy playing on the idea of heroes and villains. I would say more, but I rather not rant if there's no interest.
Well, I've become interested with it lately.

So are you guys planning to start the comic soon? It seems like you already have everything to start it; the characters, the setting, and the basic plot. Plus, you already have the capability to draw it. Since none of you are aiming for professionalism, then you really don't need to spend time practicing. You guys could be using all that time to put the pages together instead.
Thank you for the interest!
There's actually quite a few problems...

First, currently, we're only able to contact Meliona via phone and internet, I'm pretty sure around summer though, we might be able to actually go see her in person. It's mainly a personal preference but I rather speak to her in person because the way we've planned everything up to now has been very troublesome. Even though Meliona lives failry close to us, I haven't been able to see her for a year, and Gardenia has actually never met her, so in summer we plan to drive over and visit. But that's up to Gardenia, since I can't drive haha.
Second, Meliona actually wants to go professional but Gardenia and I don't. So I wonder if I can get her to work on this as an online webcomic/webmanga, but I think she'll be fine with that. I'm sure she won't mind one story to be published by ourselves since she's got tons of others. Still talking it out...
Third, I think it's a better idea to wait for Meliona to graduate high school first. I don't want to load her down with work or distract her from her school work (and she knows I'm iffy about that). Gardenia and I are older so I guess it's easier for us. Plus, Meliona always puts her 100% in her art even if we're not aiming for the highest quality, she always goes for it anyway; I rather not stress her out.

These are all pretty simple problems anyway and can be resolved easily. While we talk it out I'll just be doing little mini comics in the meantime. We are writing parts of the script though, which so far has been successful. Honestly, thanks for the interest. I was worried about whether or not people who become interested since most people don't seem to like stories based on the stereotypes of heroes and villains.
I'm debating whether or not to post a basic summary/character intros because I know Meliona's a bit uncomfortable with it...

This is a character of mine from a different story Gardenia and I write.

She's super stiff...and the wrinkles/folds on the clothes make no sense...and her head has a funny shape...I could go on. Something I drew for fun while chatting with Gardenia and my brother, who were giving me weird prompts. I eventually thought it looked nice enough to color (wait, I do that a lot...).

I just realized that anything I draw from this story involves chains or bandages and red...then again, I do have a bit of a chains/bandages/scar fetish...
This story is a lot more dark/serious/gory compared to our collaboration with Meliona, but that's what happens when I write most of the story ha ha!

guillx

Post by guillx »

Hmm I think your strong point are panel drawings. Very good.

Dai

Post by Dai »

So. "Still alive"?

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Alastor/Abelia for Meliona.

So like...hi.

zen999

Post by zen999 »

your black and white, the one you just posted,
is great! love it! been a while since i got to talk
with you. very nice artwork. thats one thing i
havent gotten good at is full colouring. would be
nice to try. your coloured pics are really great.
Where would I be without you, photoshop?
[img]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/zennius999/zenfire6xu.gif[/img]

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Oh hai there. Been a long time! Thanks a bunch, I've been slacking majorly, so I'm trying to get back into it >.>

I like to doodle though.
(top left)- My and Meliona's characters from a RP we do together with my sister. Her character and mine don't seem to get along too well.
- Alastor doodle, I haven't drawn him in months...Meli came over so I thought I might as well.
- Abelia and Pikachu doodle by my sister. Not drawn by me.

(bottom left)- A bunch of Elias, trying to show his strange style. He always wears a scarf. If he's not wearing a scarf, then he's wearing a t-shirt with some lame graphics on it. He's so fun to draw, he's so skinny...

(top right)- Two random characters, my OC on the bottom, and America/Alfred from Axis Powers Hetalia.

(mid right)- MS paint crap for fun. I think I've shared that before.

(bottom right)- Alastor again, old one. He secretly likes cute and romantic things (Titanic is his favorite movie btw).

Nothing worthwhile though, I'm sorry.

zen999

Post by zen999 »

sometimes the most inspired kind of
art is a doodle. seriously, i have more stacks
and sketchbooks full of doodles than i do
finished work. Guess i feel that way because
with finished work, i expect to show someone
else what i did and there is more pressure in
doing so. If you do something for yourself,
like any one of your doodles, it tends to be
just for you and theres no stress involved.
I too am trying to get into the flow of things
again because I havent drawn anything for
so long.
Where would I be without you, photoshop?
[img]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/zennius999/zenfire6xu.gif[/img]