pushing yourself harder

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

redprincess

pushing yourself harder

Post by redprincess »

How does one push themselves harder, creatively. I know physically how, but I can't figure out how to do it creatively. I feel I need to do so but for some reason I can't grasp it. My friend is unsure as well, she thinks it's just drawing things you arent good at drawing. Would that be right?

Dai

Re: pushing yourself harder

Post by Dai »

Just drawing things that you aren't good at is one option to push yourself harder in drawing. Your other options (besides correcting the anatomy on your drawings) are adding more detail to your drawings, and using dynamic poses and/or angles.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

No idea, I guess pushing yourself to do more faster? 0.0
ImageImage

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

redprincess wrote:How does one push themselves harder, creatively. I know physically how, but I can't figure out how to do it creatively. I feel I need to do so but for some reason I can't grasp it. My friend is unsure as well, she thinks it's just drawing things you arent good at drawing. Would that be right?
Short answer:
Yes.

Long answer:
I suppose it's about improving yourself, and I think you might be able to break what you're pushing into a few categories; 1) style 2) technical skill 3) storytelling 4) physical

1) You can push yourself stylistically, whether it's to draw more realistically or develop a more graphic, cartoony style.
2) Improve your technical skill, learning more about your tools (pens, pencils, inks, paper, digital) and how you can manipulate their characteristics to suit your purposes.
3) By storytelling I mean how one panel 'reads' in the context of other panels, how backgrounds establish place, time, and atmosphere, how your characters act and emote.
4) Physical: Speed and endurance have as much to do with making comics as anything else, I think.

So, medium answer:
Pushing yourself, in my opinion, means to do what is necessary to improve yourself.

As always, I could be wrong.

Eldoman

Post by Eldoman »

I was asking myself that same question a few days ago. and after reading shutupadrian's answer, I think I know where to start, thanks.