Clannad English Dub

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Ryokosha
Hidden Lawsuit

Clannad English Dub

Post by Ryokosha »

Hello all.

It seems starting today there is a English Dub of Clannad either fully done or being released to the Anime Network website yet no indication if all episodes might be free to watch or more importantly (to me) if DVD releases will actually be forthcoming...

Wikipedia did at least seem to hint DVD's are at least planned: "Sentai Filmworks will re-release Clannad to Region 1 DVD with an English dub. .[70] The English dub will premiere in North America on March 25, 2010 on Anime Network.[71]"... again though no true indication of a DVD release beyond a passing mention in part of one sentence.

The only other information which does not clarify the issue comes from here mentioning two items of interest the first being "Sentai Filmworks will offer an "Upgrade" program to those who already bought the subtitle-only versions of these anime titles." but no indication how that will work... and "According to Sentai Filmworks, these releases will also be available "through broadcast, streaming and retail outlets." Which again does not clarify which of the titles mentioned in that full article might be DVD (if not all of them) and which might not be (if any of them)...

Has anyone else heard this news? Is there any indication yet, any whispers yet, that this might actually be fully dubbed and/or released on DVD much as the subtitled version was last year and/or when such a release will be up for order or pre-order?

Thanks all for any whispers of information the winds might have brought your way.
It gives one a great sense of satisfaction to do it in perfect unison. Michelle Cheung

DawnBandit

Re: Clannad English Dub

Post by DawnBandit »

While the Kanon dub was decent at best, a CLANNAD dub...

Not sure if want. Could mess up mai waifu Nagisa.

Ryokosha
Hidden Lawsuit

Post by Ryokosha »

I am more looking forward to it... so far in those anime I have seem them 'head' Funimation has not disappointed in their choices for dub casts and crew.

The key example for me being again their choice of Brina Palencia for Holo in Spice and Wolf who (amazingly in what might be an all time first for a dub or sub) perfectly captured and mastered the Holo I heard when reading the novels through just the right amount of formality both in word usage (using 'let us' and 'you are' instead of 'let's' and 'you're') and tone, mixing this formality with the ideal level of coy playful smugness along with a fully understandable underlying sadness which was there when needed and at when needed was overpowered by a tenderness which also was within the voice at all times.

So perhaps this alone has (in my book) given Funimation a large amount of leeway when it comes to dubs that I have more faith in them... Also did not think the Kanon dub was all that bad... might have picked a different girl in the end but that would be a choice in the game and not the anime so I guess is irrelevant to the dub or sub of the show being very enjoyable.
It gives one a great sense of satisfaction to do it in perfect unison. Michelle Cheung

einhorn303

Post by einhorn303 »

Ryokosha wrote:I am more looking forward to it... so far in those anime I have seem them 'head' Funimation has not disappointed in their choices for dub casts and crew.
It's actually dubbed by Sentai, not Funi. Yeah, Sentai is actually doing dubs now...

One can now check out the first two episodes dubbed on Sentai's site TheAnimeNetwork: http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Clannad/Watch

Ironically, breaking my expectations from earlier dubs, I think they got the moe girl voices great but failed on the main voices. I don't really like David Matranga (Tomoya) or Greg Ayres (Sunohara) at all. But it has lots of bright spots like Emily Neves (Kotomi) and Hillary Haag (Fuuko). And many people might not like Kyou's VA, but I've gotten surprisingly used to it.

(...btw, I love Kanon's English dub.)
Avatar: Rico from Gunslinger Girl. Art by Yu Aida (相田 裕).