What Anime are you watching?

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

StrateryB

Re: What Anime are you watching?

Post by StrateryB »

Actually just started Ladies vs Butlers! recently and re-watching The Record of Lodoss War.

Need more old anime, any recommendations?

Ashandorath

Post by Ashandorath »

The first 4 OVA episodes of the rurouni kenshin/samurai X series (trust,betrayel).
They're not like the TV series btw.
You might have a hard time finding them if you don't own them though.

I also recommend Noir.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

StrateryB wrote:Actually just started Ladies vs Butlers! recently and re-watching The Record of Lodoss War.

A few months ago, ANN's Buried Treasure column spotlighted Serial Experiments Lain. Seeing how Lain was one of the big titles out there when I started watching animu all those years ago, seeing that it now counted as buried made me feel old.

So yeah, you should give it a look.

All_Hail_Otakudom

Post by All_Hail_Otakudom »

Started watching Baka to Test to Shokanju... Episode 3 disturbs me...
[b]USO DA!![/b]
[img]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6273/jopjwitchhunter.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2971/sigwitchhunter.jpg[/img]

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Katanagatari is still good. Watching will continue until further notice.

DawnBandit

Post by DawnBandit »

StrateryB wrote:Actually just started Ladies vs Butlers! recently and re-watching The Record of Lodoss War.

A friend from an MMO has been pushing me to watch Utena, so maybe that.

All_Hail_Otakudom

DawnBandit wrote:

Wait, Revolutionary Girl Utena?
[b]USO DA!![/b]

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

All_Hail_Otakudom wrote:
DawnBandit wrote:

Wait, Revolutionary Girl Utena?
No, not that Utena. The other Utena.

All_Hail_Otakudom

Lord Styphon wrote: No, not that Utena. The other Utena.
Hmm... I could've sworn their was another one but I must be going crazy.
[b]USO DA!![/b]

Ryokosha
Hidden Lawsuit

Post by Ryokosha »

Watching Sailor Moon (got lent a bunch of old VHS copies)
It gives one a great sense of satisfaction to do it in perfect unison. Michelle Cheung

DawnBandit

Post by DawnBandit »

Aaaaaand the Winter Season is wrapping up! Final comments and such as I manage to finish the last couple episodes of everything.

So Ra No Wo To: Better than I expected, honestly. It got off to a bit of a slow start, but managed to pull of some SRS BSNS towards the last few episodes. A shame that it took so long, though, despite the heavy foreshadowing towards what would happen and how (like the repeated uses of Amazing Grace and mentions of Princess Illiya). The final ending seemed a bit... too happy, though, what with Rio returning to the military. It kind of weakened the sacrifice she made to stop the war. Other small gripes include the fact that they tease about this interesting world (and the mythology of it) and leave it unexplained, and it still overshadows the characters. Character animation seemed a bit bland compared to the lush backgrounds, too. 7/10

Omamori Himari: Nothing I didn't expect, from reading the mango. Which is to say, I expected nothing good. I got nothing particularly good. An entirely average series that is entirely forgettable. The classic mix of fanservice, romance, and fantasy combat falls a little short, as usual, since the harem is burgeoning and we all know who he's going to end up with, meaning the cast is full of strangely all female useless bodies (like Lizelotte, Rinko, Kaya, etc.). The ending was pure cheese, what with the almost groan-worthy transformation and ease of defeating Shuten-Douji. I swear he got the respect befitting of a Power Rangers monster of the week, almost. And in the end, we get absolutely no change in the status quo. Super awesome powers get their second activation in the entire series, then go back to being dormant, nine-tailed fox loli joins the crew (I suppose), token romance advances one space, and... nothing else. Blah. 4/10

Won't be finishing Hidamari Sketch, but waiting on Ookami Kakushi, Durarara!!, BakaTest, and Hanamaru. Kobato I finish tomorrow.

Ryokosha
Hidden Lawsuit

Post by Ryokosha »

Re-watching Spice and Wolf.
It gives one a great sense of satisfaction to do it in perfect unison. Michelle Cheung

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

DawnBandit wrote: Won't be finishing Hidamari Sketch, but waiting on Ookami Kakushi, Durarara!!, BakaTest, and Hanamaru. Kobato I finish tomorrow.
I'm with you on the middle three. Also: is Kobato worth watching? I got about half-way before realizing that I was incredibly bored by it.

On another note, Railgun is over. I enjoyed it despite its ridiculously non-male cast (which I realize is ironic coming from a Touhou fan). I still refuse to believe that those kids are all in middle school. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed Beatrice's guest appearance in the last arc. Marvelous.

I also watched Kemeko DX and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei. The former was substantially better than the latter.

DawnBandit

Post by DawnBandit »

Peregrin wrote:
DawnBandit wrote: Won't be finishing Hidamari Sketch, but waiting on Ookami Kakushi, Durarara!!, BakaTest, and Hanamaru. Kobato I finish tomorrow.
I'm with you on the middle three. Also: is Kobato worth watching? I got about half-way before realizing that I was incredibly bored by it.
Just finished Kobato like, fifteen minutes ago, so I'll throw in my final thoughts here. Semi-spoilers do follow.

Overall, I was surprised by how strong the last third/fourth was, in comparison to the episodic nature of everything else. The last two episodes (23/24) really saved it, with the final scene in 23 being probably the best point in the entire series. Somewhat oddly, it hinges on FujiBato (as the fandom calls it), which always struck me as weird since Kobato is dense as stone (or Senou Natsuru) and Fujimoto is a mantsundere on a level I've never seen before. Being the sucker for happy endings and epilogues I am, Episode 24 still made me DAWWWWW heavily, though. If you're going to watch it, pick and choose your episodes, since a lot of them are episodic and useless until you get to the main plot with Okiura before plunging into the meat of CLAMP's obsession with shipping everybody (except Tomoyo). They don't tie up a few loose ends with Ioryogi and the the rest of the beast gang, though.

I still can't stand Kobato's singing voice though.

Or the Tsubasa gang's cameo. THEY GOT A WHOLE EPISODE. WTF.

The last two episodes earn it a 8/10, though. That was some good stuff.

Ryokosha
Hidden Lawsuit

Post by Ryokosha »

Just curious but what is the reason most people seem to have dropped Hidamari Sketch?