ITT We don't use consoles

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

zingmaster

ITT We don't use consoles

Post by zingmaster »

Discuss board games, card games, etc. Could be something you recently played, some amazing phenomenon that happened, or plugging your favorites (or not-so-favorites).

I just played Axis and Allies for the first time tonight. Germany kicked ass, and the naval Team Awesome from Japan added excellent support. Note to self, though: next time, get your bombers out of range of others' bombers. Move range of 6 is sick.

Arc-Royal

Post by Arc-Royal »

Cosmic Encounter is pretty crazy. Kinda hard to describe, really.

Peregrin

Re: ITT We don't use consoles

Post by Peregrin »

I just played the first planned non-serious D&D game of the year.

We killed a Wartortle in Gary's sister's basement. The half-orc also got herpes. All-in-all, it was a successful first game.

guillx

Post by guillx »

I like risk

zingmaster

Post by zingmaster »

guillx wrote:I like risk
My friends and I combined Risk and Monopoly to create Riskopoly. You can use your Monopoly money to buy extra Risk armies. 'Twas super fun.

guillx

Post by guillx »

zingmaster wrote:
My friends and I combined Risk and Monopoly to create Riskopoly. You can use your Monopoly money to buy extra Risk armies. 'Twas super fun.
Not a bad idea :thumbup:

kratos auron

Post by kratos auron »

I actually have a good time playing D&D now and then. Started a new campaign that is far more laid back, creating my own monsters and what not, plan not to open a single rulebook other than the Players handbook, and maybe the DM guide. Large monks are fun to play!

I also really like the board game "Go." Of course, I can never find any real people to play against, and everyone on the interwebz kicks my ass.
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/kratos_auron/messy.png[/img]

zingmaster

Post by zingmaster »

guillx wrote:
zingmaster wrote:
Not a bad idea :thumbup:
The only downside was that it took forever. I mean, Risk is already a long game, but add Monopoly to it, plus food and water breaks, and it can take a whole night.

The one game I want to play in the next couple days? Stratego. Can anyone say childhood?

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

kratos auron wrote:I actually have a good time playing D&D now and then. Started a new campaign that is far more laid back, creating my own monsters and what not, plan not to open a single rulebook other than the Players handbook, and maybe the DM guide. Large monks are fun to play!

I also really like the board game "Go." Of course, I can never find any real people to play against, and everyone on the interwebz kicks my a**.
Yeah, I could never get people to play Go with me when I had it. Such a shame...

I am convinced now that D&D is an experience that gets better with a bunch of people who don't take it too seriously. As a makeshift DM, I made sure that we didn't die. It resulted in lulzy deus ex machina stuff. It also involved killing an Ivysaur and Charmeleon in a giant lightning bolt summoned by Professor Oak. Mmmmm...

Stratego is an awesome game. I wish I had a copy with me...

zingmaster

Post by zingmaster »

Peregrin wrote:Stratego is an awesome game. I wish I had a copy with me...
You can imagine my excitement when I discovered my friend's copy. I never owned the game as a kid either. Stratego is definitely on the docket for this weekend.

Never actually played D&D. Decided it wasn't worth my time.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

zingmaster wrote:
Peregrin wrote:Stratego is an awesome game. I wish I had a copy with me...
You can imagine my excitement when I discovered my friend's copy. I never owned the game as a kid either. Stratego is definitely on the docket for this weekend.

Never actually played D&D. Decided it wasn't worth my time.
It's only worth your time if you can find some good friends to do it with. It's a pretty interesting set of mechanics and such, and the ability to insert deus ex machinae is second to none. Seriousness is a definite no-no, though. Getting girls to participate also helps. Did I mention that my character is T.S. Eliot? With a cat familiar named Mister Mistoffelees? That's the sort of tom-foolery that makes it worth your time.

zingmaster

Post by zingmaster »

Peregrin wrote:
zingmaster wrote:Never actually played D&D. Decided it wasn't worth my time.
It's only worth your time if you can find some good friends to do it with. It's a pretty interesting set of mechanics and such, and the ability to insert deus ex machinae is second to none. Seriousness is a definite no-no, though. Getting girls to participate also helps. Did I mention that my character is T.S. Eliot? With a cat familiar named Mister Mistoffelees? That's the sort of tom-foolery that makes it worth your time.
Now, if only I had friends like that who were actually interested in setting up such a thing. But that's not the case. Still, we weave our own fun. Like playing Goldeneye with remote mines only. Or envisioning Madden-opoly, basically a combination of every board game ever created. (i.e. King me, I fired my rook at your Battleship for a double word score in the ballroom.

DawnBandit

Post by DawnBandit »

zingmaster wrote:Or envisioning Madden-opoly, basically a combination of every board game ever created. (i.e. King me, I fired my rook at your Battleship for a double word score in the ballroom.
My patrol boat landed on your Park Place, though. All the royal flushes on it make the rent a Yahtzee...

zingmaster

Post by zingmaster »

DawnBandit wrote:
zingmaster wrote:Or envisioning Madden-opoly, basically a combination of every board game ever created. (i.e. King me, I fired my rook at your Battleship for a double word score in the ballroom.
My patrol boat landed on your Park Place, though. All the royal flushes on it make the rent a Yahtzee...
It's like Calvinball, only mental. And remember the only rule of Calvinball: It cannot be played the same way twice. (Score is still Q to 12.)

lugger91
Location: I'm in your fridge, mixing your fruit with your meat and cheese.

Post by lugger91 »

I played MTG for many a year. I had to quit because I was spending an ungodly amount of money on it (a new set comes out next month? HOLYSMOKESENTIRESETORDERED!). I went into recession within a few hours of quitting and was grumpy and sick for a really long time. I had multiple hissy fits and bouts of depression but now I've been clean for a year a half. My life is better because of it.
[img]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb67/lugger91/gungrave.png[/img]