MMOGs Are Starting to Bore Me...

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Mifune

MMOGs Are Starting to Bore Me...

Post by Mifune »

Is it just me or have we hit a repetitive stagnation when it comes to MMOs of all genre? The most original games to have even come out recently are Fallen Earth and...uh...AION. But then you go into MMO Shooters and see every game is the same from Combat Arms, Sudden Strike, and even AVA. Battlefield Heroes is pretty cool but gets repetitive fast. Huxley is suppose to be good. But that game looks like a Unreal mod. I'm excited about Global Agenda but...I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Maybe I'm just weird...
Fiat Justitia, Ne Pereat Mundus!
Let Justice Be Done, Lest the World Perish!

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

There's a reason I never got into them in the first place.

Kaito The Ramen Bandit

Post by Kaito The Ramen Bandit »

Dungeon Fighter Online anyone? XD
[url=http://kaitou-d.mybrute.com/cellule]Join me in the MyBrute War[/url]

guillx

Post by guillx »

aq worlds anyone :)

Mifune

Post by Mifune »

Kaito The Ramen Bandit wrote:Dungeon Fighter Online anyone? XD
You mean that 2.5D game with that really lame "Fatigue Point" system? I really tried playing that game, but I rather play Dragonica. Or better yet; screw the faux 3D, when does Mabinogi Heroes, Continent of the Ninth, Dragon Nest, and/or Blade & Soul come out?
guillx wrote:aq worlds anyone :)
...No...Just no. If you can't even hire a decent artist you shouldn't even be making games.

guillx

Post by guillx »

cmon aqworlds is fun

Mifune

Post by Mifune »

Yay, and people say Runequest is fun. Doesn't mean I'm going to play it.

guillx

Post by guillx »

don't compare runescape and aqworlds XD

DawnBandit

Post by DawnBandit »

guillx wrote:don't compare runescape and aqworlds XD
It's like comparing lightish red to pink. Call them whatever you like, they're the same thing.

guillx

Post by guillx »

I'm guessing you probably haven't played one of them.......or neither

Mifune

Post by Mifune »

You're right. I shouldn't compare the two. Runequest actually gets updates.

guillx

Post by guillx »

Aqworlds has a new release everyweek
and updates from time to time.
Yes aqworlds has updates

Mifune

Post by Mifune »

Doesn't matter; AQ is just another boring, stagnant MMO (barely an MMO) with graphics worse than WoW's. And you can't argue with what I say (well maybe the bit about it being boring since that's an opinion). Especially when we're talking about a game that models itself after Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

-sigh- Is Earthrise out yet?

kratos auron

Post by kratos auron »

The thing is, they both are terrible.

If you want to play an MMO, don't play a browser MMO. If you can't spare the 1-5 GB on your hard drive for an actual MMO, don't play one.

I have tried a fairly decent number of MMO's since I first started. (all of them free to play of course.) Yes, they are all based around the same basis. Long hours of grinding, minimal real story, and large numbers of impossible to take alone bosses.

It may sound cliche, but you really need to find the right group of people to make an MMO enjoyable. That, or you have to really enjoy the mechanics of the game. (Which in MMO's usually aren't all that great.) A visual style that you like also really helps. If you enjoy exploring the world, and the way that it is presented really helps, as a fairly large part of your average MMO is adventure. Large expansive worlds are really cool to be explored. It may sound lame, but I like finding those little pocketed areas behind the waterfalls ect.)

List of MMO's I have played, and would suggest:

Shin Megami Tensai: IMAGINE~ 9/10. I may be a little biased as this was my first MMO, but MegaTen is a great MMO in terms of gameplay, story, and graphics. Unlike most MMO's, megaten attempted to take a battle system more like a console game. Attacks are carried out in 3 attack chains before a knockback. You can guard to cancel the enemy chain and take less damage. Rush can break a guard. Counter will block an attack and counter. Counter is broken by spin. ect. You have to time your attacks well, or you will die. There is an actual storyline, with cutscenes. (Sadly, there are only 16 story acts, and none have been added as of yet. We are left on a cliffhanger.) The graphics are very similar to other games of the Megami Tensei series, and are great for an MMO. Great game, fun battle system, and occasional new content. It is a very heavy grindfest though.

NeoSteam~ 4/10. It has some cool sounding races to choose from, but the terrible movement animations ruin any gratification you could get from looking at your character. The environments are cool, and the dungeons are pretty nice looking and original, but that's about the only upside. The game would have been pretty dang amazing if only the animations didn't look so terrible in game.

Cabal Online~ 8.5/10. The major upside of Cabal is that it feels quite a bit like an action/adventure game. The environments are pretty highly detailed, and nice to look at. The dungeons are fairly boring after a while though, they are basically a strings of rooms where you either kill all the mobs to open the door, or destroy a number of switches to open the door. The battle system is fairly decent, and the animations are great. Character customization is not very diverse, but enough to get the job done. Despite being an MMO, most of the game is built on being soloable, which I see as an upside. I enjoy being able to do almost everything on my own, and then only team up for a dungeon specifically built for teams. The levels move faster than your average MMO, so you actually feel like you are making some progress. Certainly one of the better free MMOs, and one of my personal favorites.

Dungeon Fighter Online~ 6.5/10. A side scrolling arcade style dungeon crawler. Fun, easy to play action game. If you are a fan of games like Twin Dragon, you will love this game. There is absolutely no characterization right of the bat however. Each class has a specified look, and can only be changed by cash shop items. Not much else to say. Fun, easy to get into, but a fairly shallow game. A far better choice than Maple Story or Grand Chase though.

Perfect World~ 9.5/10. The largest free to play MMO, it takes that position for a reason. The most customizable character creation I have ever seen, and a decent selection of races and classes, soon to be increased by 2 with the new expansion coming out soon. (Yeah, an expansion on a FREE MMO!) It is a grindfest however, so you better be in it for the long haul. The visual style is nice to look at, and the designs are pretty dang good. The classes are highly specialized though, so do not expect to be able to be a do all say all player, but the classes are highly balanced. (Not so sure how the two new classes are going to affect this though.)

Jade Empire~ 5/10. Made by the creators of perfect world. Terrible character creation in comparison, and classes that pale in comparison. You are given the option to meditate in towns and gain a slow stream of EXP, which is indeed a bonus. The visuals are very nice, in fact better then perfect world. But the game itself doesn't feel as refined. Of course, I didn't get all too far into this one, so I may be wrong. I plan on giving it a second look later on, once I get a new comp perhaps.

Age of Armor~ 6.5/10. A mecha MMO, this is one of the older free MMOs, and has a small, dedicated community at this point. Low graphics that can run on almost any computer, with decent enough designs to make it look nice either way. Due to it's age, there are tons of free EXP events to keep new players interested. Interesting instances, decent enough gameplay.

Atlantica Online~ 8/10. This is an MMO that you would not be able to tell is an MMO. Nice designs, and good music. The battle system is a turn based system, very similar to a console game. There is an easy to navigate player market that lists every item on sale by the players in that server, which makes buying and selling easy. Only downside, it's so much like a console game that you might not even converse with other players very often. Again, I didn't make it too far into this one though, so I barely even scratched the surface. (My comp got infected, and I lost all my games. due to a lost hard drive, I don't have the space for all these games, and Atlantica is easily the largest of the MMO's I have listed, so I haven't bothered to re-download it.)

Anyway, those are all of the ones I have tried. (That I can remember.) Dunno if any spark your fancy, just thought I'd throw out a few ideas just in case anyone was looking for an MMO, or if any looked good enough for you to give a shot Mifune.
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/kratos_auron/messy.png[/img]

Mifune

Post by Mifune »

-Shin Megami Tensai: IMAGINE
Played it. Too much grinding, and I haven't figured out how to capture demons. Also, the combat system seems a bit clunky to me.

-NeoSteam
UHG! NeoSteam is a horrible game. For something claiming to be steam punk it sure lacks a lot of steam punk elements.

-Cabal Online
Haven't played it yet.

-Dungeon Fighter Online
Played it, liked it for a while got bored with it real quick. Not sure why I can't make my own character.

-Perfect World
Mmmmmmm...Wuxia goodness. I play this game off and on. Pretty generic but still pretty fun. I love the character customization, though I still wish it had more. Which reminds me, is C9 out yet?

-Jade Empire
I couldn't even get out of the newbie area before I got bored with this.

-Age of Armor
Haven't played this yet.

-Atlantica Online
Turn base MMOs don't really appeal to me.